Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boxing Day Test - MCG

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia had to work hard today but did it like a good team.

India made 286 which gives them a lead of 94.

Williams got the figures. After claiming the prized wicket of Tendulkar (44), he took 3 late wickets with the new ball to finish with 4/53.

Dravid was hard to budge as usual but eventually fell for 92 to Lee (2/97) and Ganguly played a good hand before playing on to Bracken (2/45).

MacGill got the dangerous Laxman with an excellent piece of bowling and took the last wicket to finish with 2/68. That's 57 wickets for him for 2003.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:19 pm

less than 100 - 94 pretty close. Thought I'd slap myself on the back and give me a hearty handshake.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:49 pm

Australia left with target of 95 after India falter

The Wisden Bulletin by Chandrahas Choudhury

India's 71 runs in the first hour after tea turned out to be the vivid sparks of a dying flame at the MCG, as they lost their way hopelessly against the second new ball, losing their last six wickets for 33 runs in a virtual repeat of the tail end of their first innings.

Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly resumed after tea with their team still 10 runs in arrears, and they scored so quickly thereafter that at one stage, with India 61 ahead and six wickets still in hand, it seemed that they might set Australia a challenging target. But then they both fell within five runs of each other, and Australia ran through the tail, with Brad Williams finishing with 4 for 53. They now have to score just 95 tomorrow to draw level with India in the series.

India's problem was that they put together some reasonable-sized partnerships, but no big ones: the highest was the 93 put on by Dravid and Ganguly for the fifth wicket.

Their beginning to the day was a good one, as they managed to nullify Australia successfully before lunch. Although Ganguly was hit by a bouncer early in the day and had to retire hurt, Dravid and Tendulkar applied themselves on a wearing pitch with uneven bounce, and took India to 109 for 2 by lunch.

At this stage India were still 83 behind Australia, and their hopes of erasing it and setting Australia a reasonable target rested on at least two of the middle order putting together a big partnership.

Tendulkar began in confident fashion after lunch, driving Brett Lee down the ground for three, and then cover-driving and cutting Brad Williams for boundaries. But having progressed to his highest score of the series, 44, he aimed an ambitious drive at a wide delivery from Williams and was caught behind (126 for 3).

It was an excellent piece of bowling from Williams, who had seen Tendulkar get out in similar fashion to Andrew Bichel in the second Test, and knew exactly what he was trying to do.

Australia now sensed their chance. They bowled tightly and accurately at VVS Laxman and did not employ over-attacking fields, knowing all too well how quickly Laxman was capable of scoring.

Laxman was largely untroubled during his stay at the crease, but then was perplexingly out in almost exactly the same manner as in the first innings, drawn into playing at a legbreak from Stuart MacGill and caught at slip. (160 for 4). MacGill bowled perhaps his most disciplined spell of the series in the post-lunch session, spinning the ball sharply away from the bat, and managing to keep a check on his full tosses.

Ganguly, who had retired hurt on 16 after receiving a ringing blow on the back of the neck ducking into a bouncer from Williams, now returned to the crease. He played quietly till tea, and was then helped by Australia's tactics just after the break: with only a few overs to go for the second new ball, Australia bowled MacGill and Simon Katich, and runs came quite freely.

Ganguly's adrenaline was flowing by the time Australia decided to take the second new ball as soon as it was due. He had an interesting duel with Brett Lee in the first innings, taking him on before getting out to a loose shot, and here he seemed to sense that the initiative was there for the taking, with the new ball sure to come on to the bat and fly quickly off it.

He got to his half-century with a drive past mid-on off Lee, and then sent the next ball racing past point for four. When Williams dropped short in the next over Ganguly no longer attempted to duck, but stood tall and swung the ball high over square leg for four.

Lee came in charging once again the next over, and was pulled and cut again for successive boundaries. It was stirring stuff, and not without an element of risk in it, but ironically it was Dravid who then fell to Lee, reaching in uncharacteristic fashion for a ball outside off and edging it to Adam Gilchrist (253 for 5).

His 92 was an innings of exemplary patience and concentration, though not as polished as his two innings at Adelaide: he played and missed from time to time, and nicked Katich between the wicketkeeper and first slip shortly before he was out.

Dravid's dismissal opened the floodgates for Australia. Ganguly was out almost immediately after, somewhat unlucky to drag Nathan Bracken onto his stumps via his back foot (258 for 6). He made 73. Williams then cleaned up Ajit Agarkar and Anil Kumble within two balls of each other, and although Parthiv Patel made a gutsy and enterprising 27 not out, he could not extend the Indian lead beyond 94.

It was a clinical and assured performance from Australia, who have handled the last two days almost perfectly, and should now easily knock off the target on the last

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:33 pm

The Aussies are cruising to victory.

It's 1/89. Hayden is 53 n.o. and Ponting, 26 n.o.

Ponting needs 2 more and to remain not out to average 100 for 2003.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:42 pm

All over. 10 wicket win and on to the decider in Sydney.

Hayden was 53 n.o. and Ponting, 31 n.o. His average for the year is 100.2 and aggregate, 1503 which is the second highest ever.

Great win to the Aussies, particularly after India's outstanding and record breaking first day.

Ponting was named Man of the Match.

Last edited by Donny on Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:30 pm

Hayden and Ponting seal Australian victory

The Wisden Bulletin by Chandrahas Choudhury

Australia coasted to an easy victory on the fifth morning at the MCG, and it was only fitting that the two men who really set up this match for them, Matthew Hayden and Ricky Ponting, knocked off the 95 required to draw level in the series.

Steve Waugh's final series is now set up tantalisingly, and the teams will go into the final Test at Sydney in three days' time with Australia having much of the momentum, and India memories of Adelaide.

Hayden and Ponting had put on 234 in the first innings, and this morning they put on 88 for the second wicket after Justin Langer was out early. Hayden was himself distinctly fortunate to survive an lbw appeal off Ashish Nehra early in his innings, but after this he took to the bowling with a succession of meaty drives and swings to leg, and just before the winning runs were struck end he nonchalantly launched Anil Kumble over the infield to bring up his half-century.

Ponting was as assured as ever, working the ball sweetly on both sides of the wicket to finish with 31 not out. This match was his Test just as the Adelaide Test was Rahul Dravid's.

India's one success on the morning was almost predictable: Ajit Agarkar took Justin Langer's wicket for the fifth time in the series, rapping him on the pads with a late inswinger (9 for 1).

Langer has been out to Agarkar in this fashion once every Test match, and there was still a flicker of hope for India at this stage, but this brought Australia's two most prolific batsmen together, and after a steady start they accelerated and got home at a canter.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:37 pm

Looking forward to the intrigue of the Sydney test that was assured by the outcomes of the 2nd and 3rd tests. The Indian batting line-up has been the equal of the Aussies thus far and the bowling stocks if taking into account the 1st test would, in my opinion, slightly favour the Indians. Regarding the First XI's bowling, Nathan Bracken would benefit from bowling alongside Glen McGrath and its a shame that the former is not likely to return for the southern hemispheres cricket season.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:49 pm

Great comeback by the Aussies in this test match although i did think they would win this test.

However i still have a big question mark over Justin Langer. To let Argarkar dismiss you 5 times in a series is embrassing. The other thing going against Langer is that he doesnt roll his arm over and isnt a slips fieldsman. The one thing in his favour is that he can keep wickets and this will go in his favour when touring Sri Lanka. I have a feeling that if he doesnt lift soon he will be on thin ice.

I still have a question mark over Katich, He is the type of player who needs to be able to hold his spot as a batsman with bowling an added bonus. A century at the SCG would not go astray otherwise he could also be on thin ice. The one thing in his favour is with Steve Waugh going i dont think the selectors would want to change two batsman in the middle order.

Brett Lee has a big question mark over his future. His one weapon was pace and without that he becomes a good ordinary bowler. He has lost some of his intimidation factor but i think will still be retained because the test match is at the SCG.

Bichels days are fast running out which is ok as i didnt think he was that good anyway. Bichel or "Selleys" as he is known will be good to do the donkey work on the one dayers.

I dont rate Brad Williams that much at the moment but he did show he is a great competitor and hit back well and also looks like a great fieldsman who likes a slog with the bat. Reminds me of Craig McDermott in those aspects. I think Brad has overtaken Bichel in the queue.

MacGill will probably still be retained as a back up on the Sri Lanka tour as the spin cupboard is pretty bare at the moment. Can someone tell MacGill he isnt holding the bat for looks and a few runs wouldnt hurt. I think McGrath will be in line for a batting promotion on his return.

Hayden and Ponting have both shown they are world class batsman over the last year and Australia can be very thankful to have such quality at the top of the order. Hayden will be the key batsman in the tour of Sri Lanka.

Overall i think the Australians still need to lift in the field but batting wise they are ok as long as they are patient and bowling wise was much better this test but with room to improve.

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:24 pm

A good read, JLC.

Yes, not good on the CV for Alfie, to be Akarkar's bunny. Very Happy Although let's not forget his excellent innings in the Adelaide Test.

I think Williams took giant strides in this Test. With all bowlers fit, I rate him 3rd. to Pigeon and Dizzy. I agree about Lee but I'm not ready to write him off, just yet.

Depending on injuries, Andy Bichel could well have played his last Test.

Punter looks like he's already captaining this team. It's hard to say much more about him.

I think Katich is almost entrenched in the first eleven. His spinning, although formative, will keep him ahead of Love.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:09 pm

Has Lee dropped off the pace indefinitely or is he just working himself up to top speed again after his injury setbacks? As for Langer, he has shown in the past he an work himself out of slump. Hypothetically speaking who are his most likely successors? Good first-class opening batsmen are a rare breed and successful test openers even less common.

Potential candidates:

Jimmy Maher
Mike Hussey
David Hussey
Matthew Elliott

Of those only Maher has any recent international experience. Elliotts refusal to carry Mark Taylors equipment bags while on tour counted against him. Mike Hussey has played in Australia A matches. I suppose Martin Love could also be used as an opener as well. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:57 pm

The other thing in Langers favour is that Hayden is in great form and they would be relunctant to change openers on him. There is no real stand out candidate at present. The other worrying aspect is the number of times he gets dismissed LBW and the number of close calls he has for LBW.

I think it has been mentioned that Brett Lee will not be able to bowl consistently at a high speed. Brett may have to watch how McGrath bowls and try pitching the ball up as opposed to bowling short all the time. Its a bit too predictable at present.

Maher is only a one day cricketer and the boat has past him by. Love seems ok and is a good slips fieldsman but should not be moved to the position of opener especially if he doesnt bat that position for QLD.

Australia has been spoilt recently with openers of the ilk of Hayden, Taylor, Marsh and Boon. Normally you could elevate the number three to opener or drop the opener to number 3 but in this case that effects Ponting who is in career best form.

jlc

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:55 am

Williams' dream comes true

By Malcolm Conn - Fox Sports

A Victorian boy who dreamed of Boxing Day glory long before he moved to the other side of the country to revive a fading cricket career has set Australia on course to win the third Test in Melbourne and ensured an enthralling Sydney farewell for Steve Waugh.

Brad Williams, now the opening bowler for Western Australia, claimed 4-53 in his third Test yesterday as India were dismissed for 286 in their second innings, leaving Australia needing 95 to win.

Only a miracle or disaster can prevent Australia from levelling the series at 1-1 and going into the fourth and final Test needing a victory to send off the most successful captain in history appropriately.

Not since Australia went to Perth locked at 1-1 with the West Indies 11 years ago has a contest been so entertainingly poised.

The West Indies easily triumphed in that match, giving them the distinction of becoming the last visiting team to win a series on Australian soil.

India could yet claim that mantle but the dogged fightback by Australia in this match suggests the tourists have been worn down mentally after their supreme effort in Adelaide to win the second Test.

Williams, 29, claimed the prized wicket of Sachin Tendulkar (44) then later ran through the tail with the second new ball as India again collapsed, losing their last six wickets for 33 to follow 6-16 in the first innings.

It was 20 years ago that Williams attended his first Boxing Day Test. He can recall the crowd and the excitement but not the teams.

There was that same sense of excitement yesterday afternoon as he walked to fine leg during his last decisive spell with the crowd chanting his name.

"I had goose bumps to be honest," Williams said.

Identified from a young age as a fast bowler of pace and potential, Williams attended the national cricket academy in Adelaide. And in his first season as a Victorian tearaway he broke the arm of Allan Border in his last season for Queensland.

But back stress fractures, a remodelled action and a coolness with the Victorian hierarchy saw Williams move to Perth, a decision he does not regret despite yesterday's heroics on Australia's famous arena.

"It was WA who brought me here," Williams said. "They gave me the opportunity to play at this level."

For a time yesterday when Rahul Dravid (92) and captain Sourav Ganguly (73) were together, India had a chance to fashion a contest after trailing by 192 on the first innings.

However, when Dravid's seemingly limitless patience ran out and he was caught behind sparring at a delivery from Lee with the second new ball, India's hopes dramatically dimmed.

They disappeared almost completely once Ganguly, who had bravely returned after a fearful blow on the base of the helmet from Williams, chopped a full delivery from Nathan Bracken into his stumps.

It appears a forlorn hope but there may have been some had Williams not bowled Ajit Agarkar for one, trapped Anil Kumble for a duck, and had Zaheer caught at slip by Matthew Hayden without scoring.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: