Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sth. Africa v. West Indies - 1st. Test

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Kallis hits 158

From correspondents in Johannesburg - Fox Sports

JACQUES Kallis steered South Africa to a strong position on the second day of the first Test against the West Indies at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg.

The West Indies, whose regular opening batsman Chris Gayle did not start the innings because of a hamstring injury, were 87 for one at the close.

Kallis batted solidly to notch his 12th Test century and his second against the West Indies, although runs did not flow as freely as they did on the first day.

Resuming on 87, Kallis reached his hundred off 168 balls but needed another 129 deliveries to add 58 more runs.

The all-rounder's innings was ended by a ball from Mervyn Dillon which kept low and crashed into his stumps off an inside edge. It was a rare exception on a pitch which was largely ideal for batting.

Kallis said after his innings: "It was special. It was the first (Test) hundred I've made this year and the first Test back at home since the World Cup, and my dad is still very close to my thoughts."

It's been a tough year for Kallis. He missed a tour of Bangladesh and the first two Tests during South Africa's tour of England because of the illness and death of his father, Henry, to whom he was very close.

"I miss the little things, like the phone calls before the game," he said.

After baking under a hot sun for almost two days it was an indication that some uneven bounce could be expected as the pitch dried out and small cracks widened, although there was no notable deviation at the start of the West Indian innings.

Wavell Hinds and Daren Ganga put on 43 for the West Indian first wicket before the left-handed Hinds was caught off a thick edge at backward point off fast bowler Andre Nel.

Ganga, promoted to open in place of Gayle, was unbeaten on 49 at the close. Ganga faced 106 balls and hit ten fours.

Gayle, who was injured while fielding Friday, is expected to bat lower in the order with the aid of a runner.

After being thrashed for 398 runs while claiming only three wickets on the first day, the West Indies fought back well, restricting South Africa to 65 runs for the loss of two wickets in 27 overs before lunch, then whittling their way through the home team batting in the afternoon.

The day started promisingly for South Africa when Martin van Jaarsveld clipped Dillon firmly through midwicket for four off the fifth ball of the day.

But Van Jaarsveld padded up to the next ball, which cut back to trap him leg before wicket for a Test-best 73. It ended a fourth wicket stand of 132 with Kallis in 136 minutes.

With Dillon and Vasbert Drakes bowling with more discipline than the West Indians had shown Friday, maintaining a consistent line on or outside off-stump, Kallis and Neil McKenzie could add only 26 in an hour before McKenzie was caught behind, hooking at fast bowler Fidel Edwards immediately after a drinks break.

Kallis had an escape on 109 when he mistimed a pull against Edwards and a leaping Dillon at wide mid-on could not hold a difficult chance.

He shared stands of 58 with Mark Boucher (27) and 54 with Shaun Pollock (30).

An attacking last wicket stand of 41 in 33 minutes between Robin Peterson and Makhaya Ntini frustrated the West Indies after they asked to delay the tea break by half an hour because the South Africans were nine wickets down.

Wavell Hinds took the last three wickets for 79 runs to be the most successful West Indian bowler. Edwards, Dillon and Corey Collymore took two each.

Pollock and Ntini had hostile opening spells before Nel, who was a surprise choice ahead of all-rounder Andrew Hall, produced a lifting delivery, bowling from around the wicket, which an out-of-touch Hinds fended to backward point.

Ganga batted soundly, however, while Ramnaresh Sarwan settled down after taking 13 balls to score his first run.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 11:05 pm

The Windies are 3/178. Ganga made 60.

Lara is 66 n.o.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:25 am

Lara goes to 100 n.o. and off they go for tea on 3/239.

There have been 8 sessions of play and we've had 13 wickets for 800.

This Test is so like the Adelaide run fest. Ho hum.

Luckily we've had a great battle between bat and ball at the MCG over the last three days and a good, if spiteful, battle in Sri Lanka. Very Happy

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:45 am

At stumps, the Windies are 6/363 with Lara on 178 n.o.

Lara's innings included 28 from one Peterson over - Test record.

Tests: Most Runs in an Over
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runs Batsmen Bowler

28 BC Lara (466444) RJ Peterson RSA v WI Johannesburg 2003-04

26 CD McMillan (444464) Younis Khan NZ v Pak Hamilton 2000-01

25 AME Roberts (46266L) IT Botham Eng v WI Port-of-Spain 1980-81

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 1:24 pm

Hey guys, im in sydney workin with my cousins, but dont worry i havent missed 1 ball of this match so far!

Oh what a bad start, i suppose i knew it was coming, i thought Dillion Bowled pretty well and Edwards has a future. Vasbert bowled ok as he usually does and we caught well...luckily!

Batting.. Well, thank god for Lara, chanderpaul was so unlucky and batted ok for his 34.

Is it just me or is Andre Nel the biggest tosser ive eva seen, what a loser, thought he was so tough, geez it was pissing me off.

I read commonwombat givin him a bit of a spray but i do actually think he bowled pretty well dispite his weird run up and release.

Pretty well set for a draw, You'd think only south africa can win.

i was on the edge of my seat when Lara went after Peterson, what was going through his head?? i was very worried we'd lose a late wicket but thank god he's the best batter of spin in the world, i think this game would be in the bag if Shaun Pollock could catch! i reckon i would of swallowed that catch pretty easily.

Before i head off (should be back in a week) id like to say that i witnessed 1 of the most boring centuries ive eva seen. thank you very much Kallis.

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:39 pm

CC,

Not having pay TV, I have only seen snippets of Nel but my judgements come from looking at his stats and also reports from some good judges back in SA.

Boring, you may be right. Personally, I beleive Kallis does bat well within himself much of the time and should let loose more often. He certainly has the talent, power and the shots but then again he's frequently the man who has to carry the show.

Behave yourself up here.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 9:09 pm

Lara out for 202 and the Windies for 410.

Ntini took 5/94 and Nel, 3/78 including Lara.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:50 pm

Ntini puts South Africa on course for victory

The Wisden Bulletin by Freddie Auld

After Brian Lara's heroics yesterday, South Africa responded with a sparkling allround display to put them on course for victory in the first Test at the Wanderers. They wrapped up West Indies' first innings for only 47 more runs in the morning - including Lara for 202 - and extended their lead to 377 with some aggressive batting. Makhaya Ntini then provided the finishing touches with three late wickets to leave West Indies staring at defeat on 31 for 3, and 346 runs behind.

It was unquestionably South Africa's day, right from the moment the impressive Ntini made the early breakthrough through to his late three-wicket burst. The only blemish in their day of domination was a horrific injury to Herchelle Gibbs, who had to leave the field with a broken nose in the afternoon.

However, it was West Indies who were left feeling the pain as they surrendered their competitive position with firstly a lower-order collapse of four wickets for 30 runs, and then with their nightmare ending. After Graeme Smith had declared South Africa's second innings on 226 for 6 with ten overs left in the day, Ntini roared in and did all the damage. He clean bowled Wavell Hinds and the nightwatchman Vasbert Drakes, and then trapped Daren Ganga lbw to hammer home South Africa's advantage.

Ntini, along with Andre Nel, was also responsible for West Indies' poor start to the day as well. They both bowled with good bounce and lift, exploiting the cracks developing in the pitch. Merv Dillon was the first to go, beaten by a lightning inswinger from Ntini which sent his leg stump flying back (380 for 7). And that was a sign of things to come. Chris Gayle limped down the long staircase and out on to the pitch with Hinds as a runner. Still suffering from a torn left hamstring, he tentatively poked around for 15 balls before he became Ntini's fifth victim of the innings (405 for Cool.

Lara tried to step up the tempo and he murderously cut and drove Nel in same over. Nel looked resigned to Lara's breathtaking form, and when he brought up his sixth Test double-century with a slash over cover, it was a case of here we go again. However, the very next ball, Lara attempted the same shot and drilled it straight to Martin van Jaarsveld at extra cover (409 for 9). Fidel Edwards didn't last long, and it represented a job well done by the South African attack.

Gibbs and Smith carefully negotiated a solid start to the second innings, before Smith put his foot down on the accelerator. He smashed some wayward bowling to all parts of the ground, cutting and pulling anything remotely loose. But just as the innings was starting to pick up pace, a sickening injury to Gibbs slowed things down. He tried to hook a Drakes bouncer, and the ball flew past his bat and crashed between the peak of the helmet and the visor. Gibbs immediately fell to the ground with blood pouring from his nose. The team physio rushed on the pitch and mopped up the mess, and a startled Gibbs staggered off the field looking like a bloodied and beaten boxer. The result was two nasal bone fractures, and he will undergo surgery on Wednesday morning to reset his nose.

Jacques Rudolph took Gibbs's place and he made a cautious start, perhaps wary that his place in the side is under threat. The innings gradually became slower and slower, and in an attempt to get things going again, Smith paid the price for a loose shot. He drove Drakes on the up and squirted the ball to Devon Smith, the substitute fielder, who took a smart catch, diving to his right at point (72 for 1).

Brian Lara completes his sixth double-hundred – but was out the next ball
© Getty Images

After a typically cautious start, Jacques Kallis upped the pace with some searing square-cuts and a huge heave over square-leg for six. Smith applauded the shot heartily from the balcony – and he had clearly given the signal for the charge. The innings took on a different dimension as the batsmen sacrificed their wickets in search for quick runs. After Kallis played all around a straight half-volley and was plumb lbw to Hinds (145 for 2), Rudolph carved Ramnaresh Sarwan for two consecutive fours. Going for another big hit, he slashed Hinds to Sarwan at extra cover, who took the catch at the second attempt (158 for 3).

Boucher was promoted to No. 5 and he muscled his way to a quickfire 18 before he was stumped trying to smash Sarwan down the ground (180 for 4). Van Jaarsveld unleashed a pearling cover-drive and brutish hit down the ground. His innings was cut short, though, when he was run out by a direct hit by Sarwan at mid-on (188 for 5). Pollock was then undone by one that nipped back from Collymore and clipped his off stump (206 for 6). By that stage the lead was 357, but Smith chose to carry on.

At least it gave the chance for Robin Peterson to amend for his shocking bowling display yesterday, and he whipped a sprightly 18 from 11 balls. And after he had added 20 more runs with Neil McKenzie, Smith finally called them in to leave West Indies with a tricky last ten overs, and Ntini made sure it was as difficult as possible.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:09 pm

I can't see this going much past lunch if it even gets that far.

Pollock (2/11) has crashed through to trap Sarwan for 8 and bowl Lara for 5 to have the Windies struggling on 5/49.

Last edited by Donny on Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:27 pm

CC,

Would it help if I make a tentative booking for you on the next Sth African Airways flight out of Sydney. There's usually one later in the week.

To grab this series, WI would have wanted to have won this first match and steal a march. There doesn't appear to be enough real variety in the attack to take advantage of a traditionally slower turning wicket in Cape Town for the next Test.

Lara has already put in one episode of heroics in the first test but it will probabbly require such a performance from he or someone else in each match to have WI anywhere in the ballpark.

SA's attack, whilst a shadow of it's former strength, does look steadier and more controlled and it's batting looks more consistent and less reliant on one man heroics.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:48 pm

Oops. Bad case of underestimation.

Chanderpaul (63 n.o.) and Jacobs (25 n.o.) are fighting hard. They have added 94 and went to lunch undefeated. 5/137.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:11 pm

Jacobs (25) went shortly after lunch to Nel and Pollock had Chanderpaul (74) caught in the deep by Nel.

Then Nel dismissed the injured Gayle for a quick (26). 8/183.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:36 pm

Pollock (4/31) and Ntini (4/53) took the last two wickets and Sth. Africa won by 189 runs.

Ntini was named Man of the Match with 5/94 and 4/53.

Last edited by Donny on Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:40 pm

West Indies slide to defeat

The Wisden Bulletin by Freddie Auld

South Africa wrapped up a comfortable victory against West Indies by 189 runs on the final day at the Wanderers. Apart from an entertaining 98-run stand between Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ridley Jacobs, the rest of the batsmen offered little resistance, with Shaun Pollock taking four of the seven wickets to fall today.

It was always going to be a tough job for West Indies to save the game, but once their main hope, Brian Lara, fell early on in the morning, the writing was on the wall.

Pollock was the man who got things going for South Africa as he made a dream start with two quick wickets. Ramnaresh Sarwan was the first to go, out lbw in the fourth over of the morning. The ball pitched just short of a length, kept a touch low and trapped Sarwan dead in front of middle (41 for 4).

Pollock struck gold in his next over when he picked up the prized scalp of Brian Lara for 5. Again, the ball kept a little low, and Lara got a thick inside edge onto the stumps attempting to pull (43 for 5). Pollock celebrated as if the match was over, but Chanderpaul and Jacobs made them think again.

Chanderpaul was positive from the outset, stroking boundaries all over the pitch, including an eye-catching straight-drive off Pollock, and a delicate square-cut off Jacques Kallis's first ball. Jacobs wasn't deterred from playing his strokes either. He launched some big cover-drives and booming square-cuts off anything short or wide.

Jacobs had a couple of scares, though. He survived a close shout for lbw off Kallis, but umpire Hair correctly adjudged the ball pitched outside leg, and Hair again gave him the benefit for an appeal for caught behind off Robin Peterson.

Chanderpaul, meanwhile, raced to his half-century from 63 balls, and by lunch, he and Jacobs had put on a sixth-wicket record for West Indies against South Africa. But their brave resistance was broken shortly after the break when Jacobs was yorked by a beauty of an inswinger from the tireless Andre Nel (141 for 6).

Chris Gayle again hobbled out to the pitch with a runner, and after he was lucky to survive a close lbw shout first ball, he produced a host of handsome shots. It was a case of stand and deliver from Gayle, who, still unable to move freely, smashed 26 – 24 of them in boundaries.

Chanderpaul was still in the mood for some big shots as well, but that proved to be his downfall. Facing Pollock, he gave his wicket his away with an extravagant flick off his legs straight to Nel on the fine-leg boundary for an entertaining 74 (168 for 7). With the way Gayle was playing, his wicket was only a matter of time, and he edged Nel to Mark Boucher going for another flat-footed drive (176 for Cool.

Dillon hung around for 17 balls until he was clean bowled attempting a horrible heave across the line to Makhaya Ntini, who finished the match with nine wickets (188 for 9). Corey Collymore was then trapped plumb lbw to Pollock as South Africa completed what always looked like a routine victory.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:20 pm

1 nill in the series... i wouldnt say its over yet Wombat! i admit we didnt bowl very well on the first day and were unlucky to have to bat second on that pitch.. Lara was at his best AGAIN! but should have been out for 15.

i think if we can get the score on the board first up in the second test then we can get back onto the front foot and get back into this series. Faaaaar from over i say, but bad start!

The injury to Gayle was massive, it interupted our whole batting line up and opening pair. VERY frustrating, if any of ya's get any news on if he'll be playin next test or test after, please post it! cheers..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: