Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NBN - Good or Bad

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Tannin wrote:
There is a reason your service is so slow, David, and it's not ADSL and not your copper phone line either: it is TPG. The good thing about TPG is that it is better than Dodo. The bad thing about TPG is that it is worse than just about everyone else.

They never change. Hell, I remember buying $200 worth of dial-up time from TPG once. It was about half the price every other company was charging. What a bargain I thought it was! I would up using about $30 worth of it and just throwing the rest away. Even by dial-up standards, it was glacially slow. Horrible. Unusable.

Theway TPG and most (all?) of the other cheap "unlimited" providers work is ... well, it's like a restaurant that offers $10 "unlimited" meals. Either the food is so bad that you can't eat more than $5 worth of it without being sick, or the service is so slow that most people give up and go home before they've got their money's worth. With restaurants this model doesn't work: customers eat once and never go back. But with Internet service providers it is different for some reason.

TPG has an unlimited NBN plan for the same price you are paying now. Don't expect it to be much if any faster though. Iinet (who used to be OK but are now owned by TPG - another massive truck-up by the ACCC there - offer unlimited for $70. That would be a fair bit better. For that same $70, Skymesh offer 240GB plus 1TB off-peak, which would be vastly faster. (You get what you pay for. The "unlimited" deals don't cap your bandwidth, they just make it so annoying that you don't bother using it.) Optus gives you unlimited NBN plus a phone for $80. Internode (sadly, now owned by Iinet which is owned by TPG) is unlimited for $70. And so on.

Dodo, for some reason, charge $65 for "unlimited". I'd think about that deal, but only if it was them giving me the $65.

There have certainly been times when I have wished it were faster, but generally speaking TPG has served me well download-wise – I guess maybe I just don't know what I've been missing! It's really their upload speeds that have killed me (particularly regarding the ability to maintain a good ratio on file-sharing websites). Do you know any NBN providers that would have unlimited downloads and a half-decent upload speed? Looking at the prices you've listed above, Optus and others don't sound too unreasonable.

Uploading has Always been Shit. That is why I got a Seedbox so I can get a Good Ration on Torrent Trackers

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 am

My advice from my friends at Telstra and NBN is not to sign up for the NBN straight away. You have 18 months. Wait 10 months and then look at plans as they may drop. The more people that don't sign up may force the marker to drop it's pricing in plans. Don't wait till the 18 months is up as you could be offline a while.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:34 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/pyne-defends-coalitions-nbn-plans-after-afp-raids/7438732

The NBN is going to bite Trumble and Pain in the Ass big time.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:38 am

Dave The Man wrote:

Uploading has Always been Shit. That is why I got a Seedbox so I can get a Good Ration on Torrent Trackers

I've done the same, but if I'm going to spend another $10-$15 a month on it anyway, I'd rather pay a little extra for an internet plan that offers a good upload ratio. Seedboxes are fast, but they come with disc space limits and I've never really mastered transferring the files across – seems really complicated.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:22 pm

Culprit wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/pyne-defends-coalitions-nbn-plans-after-afp-raids/7438732

The NBN is going to bite Trumble and Pain in the Ass big time.

Pyne is a Drop Kick and a Punt. How do people vote for these Utter and Complete Idiots. No Wonder the Country is such a big Shithole that it is

The Liberals have Competently and and Utterly F*cked the NBN up

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:27 pm

David wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I've done the same, but if I'm going to spend another $10-$15 a month on it anyway, I'd rather pay a little extra for an internet plan that offers a good upload ratio. Seedboxes are fast, but they come with disc space limits and I've never really mastered transferring the files across – seems really complicated.

Is there any Aussie ISP that I can get a good enough Upload Speed to keep a Good Ratio on a Torrent Tracker?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:54 am

http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/04/10/the-experts-agree-turnbulls-nbn-is-a-national-tragedy/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170411_TND
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Culprit wrote:
http://thenewdaily.com.au/news/national/2017/04/10/the-experts-agree-turnbulls-nbn-is-a-national-tragedy/?utm_source=Responsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20170411_TND

and Turbull is too Stupid and Arrogant to Admit he F**ked Up and Need to do it like Labor wanted to do it.

Shows Internet/Tech Wise how far Australia is behind the Rest of the World. We are 20 years behind them Evil or Very Mad

3rd World Countries have better internet. They can't get Running Water but Internet is way faster Shocked

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:33 pm

I decided to check out Australia's internet speeds compared to the rest of the world, and this is what I found out:

The average global speeds in the world as of 2016 is 6.3 mbps which was a 2.3% improvement from 2015.

Australia's average speeds are 8.2 mbps.

The top 10:

1. South Korea = 26.3 mbps
2. Hong Kong = 20.1 mbps
3. Norway = 20.0 mbps
4. Sweden = 19.7 mbps
5. Switzerland = 18.4 mbps
6. Singapore = 18.2 mbps
7. Japan = 18.0 mbps
8. Finland = 17.6 mbps
9. Netherlands = 17.3 mbps
10. Latvia = 16.9 mbps

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Culprit wrote:

and Turbull is too Stupid and Arrogant to Admit he F**ked Up and Need to do it like Labor wanted to do it.

Shows Internet/Tech Wise how far Australia is behind the Rest of the World. We are 20 years behind them Evil or Very Mad

3rd World Countries have better internet. They can't get Running Water but Internet is way faster Shocked

Hmmm, fast internet or running water??
I know what I'd prefer Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Jezza wrote:
I decided to check out Australia's internet speeds compared to the rest of the world, and this is what I found out:

The average global speeds in the world as of 2016 is 6.3 mbps which was a 2.3% improvement from 2015.

Australia's average speeds are 8.2 mbps.

The top 10:

1. South Korea = 26.3 mbps
2. Hong Kong = 20.1 mbps
3. Norway = 20.0 mbps
4. Sweden = 19.7 mbps
5. Switzerland = 18.4 mbps
6. Singapore = 18.2 mbps
7. Japan = 18.0 mbps
8. Finland = 17.6 mbps
9. Netherlands = 17.3 mbps
10. Latvia = 16.9 mbps

https://www.fastmetrics.com/internet-connection-speed-by-country.php

All of those places are geographically very small. A fairer comparison is against the USA or Canada which are 14 and 13 respectively

I just tested mine again, 3 times on different servers, average of 35.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Can the NBN get any worse. Reported in the Australian -
Quote:
The National Broadband Network has details of the achievable internet speeds for every home it has connected but refuses to release the information despite widespread confusion among consumers seeking to connect.
You connect to a 25/5 plan and only get 5/1 it's too bad, not our fault from your provider. Result an influx of complaints to the Ombudsman and ACCC.

The LNP say it's all good people don't want high speed as they are hooking up to lower speed plans. Hey idiots, it's due to the bullshit charges not what speeds people want. NBN is code for Dial Up. Razz
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Culprit wrote:
Can the NBN get any worse. Reported in the Australian -
Quote:
The National Broadband Network has details of the achievable internet speeds for every home it has connected but refuses to release the information despite widespread confusion among consumers seeking to connect.
You connect to a 25/5 plan and only get 5/1 it's too bad, not our fault from your provider. Result an influx of complaints to the Ombudsman and ACCC.

The LNP say it's all good people don't want high speed as they are hooking up to lower speed plans. Hey idiots, it's due to the bullshit charges not what speeds people want. NBN is code for Dial Up. Razz

That is worse then ADSL.

Be Lucky to have any Internet in Australia soo.

LNP say they don't want fast internet because there BOSS Rupert Murdoch know fast internet means no one would pay for the Monopoly that is Foxtel and Murdoch would not have more Millions in his Pocket Evil or Very Mad

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Gotta say our NBN connection isn't a significant improvement at all over our previous ADSL. Haven't even noticed a difference in load times or streaming; torrents are downloading at about 1.2 times the previous rate and uploads are still a non-starter.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 pm

David wrote:
Gotta say our NBN connection isn't a significant improvement at all over our previous ADSL. Haven't even noticed a difference in load times or streaming; torrents are downloading at about 1.2 times the previous rate and uploads are still a non-starter.

NBN = Fraudband.

They are Just Pissing Money down the Toliet pretty much

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9   

Jump to: