Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ponting succeeds Waugh

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:23 am
Post subject: Ponting succeeds WaughReply with quote

We'll do it my way: Ponting
By James Hooper - Fox Sports
November 28, 2003

TEST captain-in-waiting Ricky Ponting has vowed to continue with the aggressive tactics made famous by Steve Waugh while also leaving his own indelible print on the Australian team.

Ponting plans to intertwine various aspects of the leadership skills he has acquired under Waugh and Mark Taylor when he assumes the Test throne from January 6.

His appointment was formally announced this morning in Melbourne.

Ponting has also vowed to stamp his own style on Australia's approach of how the game is played by relying on the instincts that have guided him to the nation's top sporting post.

"[Steve Waugh and I] are very different people so we're always going to do things slightly differently out on the field," Ponting said.

"What I said about my captaincy when I took over the job is it's going to be based on instinct and what I feel is right at the time.

"Instinct is what you gather over a long period of time and I think I have just learnt little things along the way.

"Stephen has always been a very aggressive, very positive captain.

"The way we play our cricket now in both forms of the game is a result of the way he's captained the side."

Ponting revealed one of the major turning points in his rise to the Test captaincy came four years ago on a tour of Zimbabwe when Waugh pulled him aside for a chat.

The team had been in Sri Lanka and, upon arrival in Zimbabwe, Waugh approached Ponting with some words of praise on how the future of Australian cricket could be constructed around the highly-gifted right-hand batsmen.

"Just to hear something like that really changed the way that I thought about myself and my future," Ponting said.

"When you hear great things like that from people like Steve Waugh it certainly gives you a kick along."

While Ponting is refusing to admit he will be automatically accelerated to Australian cricket's highest mantle when Waugh departs, it is known he will be offered the job.

In the meantime his focus, and that of the Test team, is sending Waugh out in suitable style with a series win over the Indians.

"This series for us now is really going to be a celebration of what Stephen has achieved over a long, long time, 17 or 18 years of international cricket," Ponting said.

"It's going to be sad, it's going to be different, looking at an Australian line-up without S Waugh in it.

"I must admit it's going to be a motivating factor for me and also for the rest of the guys to really have a big summer and make sure he goes out on the best note possible."

Ponting's first challenge when he takes control of the Test side will be a tour of Sri Lanka beginning in February. "Playing cricket on the sub-continent is tough anyway. If I'm lucky enough to be the captain at that stage then I'd like to think we can go there and play some good cricket," he said.

As part of a deal announced yesterday, Ponting will become the face of Rexona deodorant for a television campaign this summer. Rexona will also award one junior player with a $30,000 scholarship at the end of January and the opportunity to meet and work closely with Ponting.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to Ricky Ponting.

Steve Waugh has set such a high standard, as a player and leader, that he'll be hard to replace but Punter has learned plenty from David Boon, his former state captain, and Mark Taylor and Waugh, in the national team - as is already evident in his leadership of the one day team.

Like Waugh, he'll be keen to lead from the front and he's ideally suited to do so, batting at first drop and in the best form of his career.

His amazing innings in the World Cup simply blew India out of the water. I'll go so far as to say cricket writers, commentators and historians will rate that as one of the best ever individual innings. I certainly do.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:25 am

Ponting confirmed as Australian captain when Waugh retires

Lynn McConnell - Cricinfo

Ricky Ponting, everyman's choice to succeed Steve Waugh as Test captain of Australia, had his position confirmed at a press conference in Melbourne today. He will take over when Waugh steps down after the fourth Test against India which is scheduled to finish on January 6 next year.

The announcement was predictable given the outstanding record that Ponting has fashioned since taking over from Waugh in February 2002 for the one-day series in South Africa. Australia had just failed to make the finals of the annual VB series as South Africa and New Zealand contested the finals.

It was a controversial appointment, as Waugh was, and remains, one of Australia's most popular sportsmen. Bob Merriman, the Cricket Australia chairman at the time, said: "Ricky has matured tremendously both as a cricketer and as a person since his arrival in international cricket and the ACB believes that he will be a fine captain of the one-day team."

The selectors had their choice vindicated through the way Ponting has taken to the job so effectively. He has seen the side maintain their outstanding form to win the World Cup in South Africa earlier this year and most recently, the TVS tri-series with New Zealand and India.

Ponting said: "It's a great honour to be named as Test captain-elect and I thank the selectors and Cricket Australia's directors for their faith in me. Every Australian kid who plays backyard cricket dreams of being Australian Test captain and I was no different. "

Ponting also paid tribute to Waugh saying it had been an honour and privilege to play with him and he thanked all who had helped him succeed as a player and as ODI captain. He congratulated Adam Gilchrist for being appointed vice-captain-elect.

"As I have already stated this week, this time in Australian cricket is not about me, it's about celebrating Steve Waugh," Ponting said. "I would have been happy to play out the rest of my career under his inspirational leadership.

"My intention for the next six weeks is to be the best vice-captain I can be and to ensure we play at our best in the imminent series against India. Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity to encourage the Australian public to get out and give Steve the farewell he deserves."

Merriman said Ponting had proven to be an outstanding leader of men and his record spoke for itself. He added that yesterday's CA board meeting had acknowledged Waugh's contribution to cricket.

An official farewell is to be given him by Cricket Australia and Merriman said the board looked forward to a celebration of Waugh's career during the remainder of the summer.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 11:28 am

Cricket Australia announces Test Captain elect

Cricket Australia's announcement.

Cricket Australia today announced that Ricky Ponting would be Australia's forty-second Test Captain following the "3"-sponsored Test Series against India, subject to form and fitness.

Mr Bob Merriman, Chairman of Cricket Australia, confirmed that the Board had accepted the recommendation of the National Selection Panel that Ponting will be appointed as Stephen Waugh's successor once Waugh steps down in January.

He also announced that Adam Gilchrist would be appointed Test vice-captain following the forthcoming Test series.

Mr Merriman said that the timing of the announcement was made so that all players in the team could now focus on the important series against India.

"Given the strong public interest in the issue, we thought it would be prudent to avoid any unnecessary speculation and distraction throughout the summer by making this announcement today, so that Stephen, Ricky, Adam and the players can put the question aside and get on with winning the imminent series under Stephen Waugh's leadership," said Mr Merriman.

Mr Merriman also stated that Cricket Australia was concerned that any such speculation would distract from what will be Stephen Waugh's farewell tour.

"Stephen has been Australia's most successful captain in Test cricket, and he has certainly left the game in better shape than when he started his international career 18 seasons ago," said Mr Merriman.

"We simply cannot thank him enough for his outstanding contribution over this time.

"We are confident that the Australian public will want to farewell him appropriately over the next six weeks as he leads the Australian team in the "3"-sponsored series against India.

"The Board has asked Cricket Australia management to plan an appropriate official farewell, and looks forward to a summer celebrating his remarkable career," said Mr Merriman.

Ponting said that he was delighted when he received news of the decision.

"I'm honoured to be named as the Test captain-elect," he said.

"The one-day captaincy has given me a valuable insight into the characteristics required to be a successful leader, and I'm confident I can transfer these skills across to the Test arena."

Ponting also said that he had learnt a lot playing under Waugh.

"I've learnt a lot about leadership having played under Stephen for many years now and I feel well equipped to take on what is undoubtedly one of the highest honours in Australian sport," he said.

"Stephen's record as a player speaks for itself, and he will be remembered as one of Australia's greatest captains. He's a true legend of the game.

"It's important to remember that the approaching summer is about celebrating Stephen Waugh and everything he has contributed to cricket in Australia and around the world, and I look forward to being the best vice-captain I can be throughout the next four Tests.

"I'd like to encourage cricket fans around the country to get out to the Test matches this summer and give Stephen the farewell he deserves."

Stephen Waugh also voiced his support for Ponting's appointment.

"I've always regarded Ricky as an outstanding leader," he said.

"He's been a very good captain in one-day cricket, and an impressive deputy at Test level. His promotion to Test captain seems the logical move.

"It's good that this announcement has taken place so that we can now all focus on the Test series before us," said Waugh.

Mr Merriman said that Ponting's appointment signalled the dawn of a new era in Australian cricket.

"The Test Captaincy is one of Australia's significant leadership roles," said Mr Merriman.

"Ricky has proven to be an outstanding international captain and leader of men. His record leading up to and through this year's ICC World Cup, in the West Indies and in recent weeks in India speaks for itself.

"He has also been a fine Test vice-captain and a strong performer as a member of the Test leadership group.

"We're very excited by the prospect of Ricky's appointment, and look forward to helping him and his team-mates farewell Stephen in the best possible manner, by winning the Test Series against India," said Mr Merriman.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:30 pm

Ricky as tricky as Waugh
By Doug Conway
November 28, 2003

IF you reckon Steve Waugh is about as tough, tenacious and successful as a Test captain can be, the bloke replacing him boasts similar traits and at least three advantages.

Ricky Ponting, whose elevation as Australia's 42nd Test captain was confirmed today, enjoys one big plus denied to Waugh - he has been taught by Waugh.

Australia's split teams policy also means he has experienced a dream apprenticeship as one-day skipper, combined with Test understudy.

And he will step into the top job as a 29-year-old, five years earlier than Waugh did.

Imagine how flinty and cunning he might be when he reaches 34, the age at which Waugh's phenomenal reign was just starting.

Cricket runs in cycles, and Australia is overdue for some sort of trough following the unprecedented peaks of recent years.

But there's every reason to suppose Ponting's captaincy can yield Waugh-like successes, with two major provisos.

Ponting must continue the rich vein of leadership he has already shown in the one-day arena.

And Australia must replace the key players it has already lost, or will lose, or might have to occasionally do without through injury or other reasons - Mark Waugh, Steve Waugh, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee and Jason Gillespie among them.

Since Ponting was a kid in Tasmania, Australia's Test leadership has passed from Allan Border, "Captain Grumpy" whose stoicism shone in a bleak period, through Mark Taylor, whose imaginative captaincy coincided with a blossoming skill pool, to Steve Waugh, the most successful captain of the most successful side ever.

Will Ponting's style be any different?

Not a lot, by the look of it, though his introduction to high office has been so seamless he has not yet had to put his very own stamp on it.

He inherited a one-day side so well drilled that he has only had to point it in the right direction and let it do its work.

He hasn't had to make any really hard decisions or battle through any particularly onerous periods.

Yet he has done everything asked of him, and more.

His batting has been phenomenal - his one-man demolition of India in this year's World Cup final was a peerless example of leading from the front.

His captaincy has produced astonishing results - 43 wins from 54 matches for an 82 per cent success rate, including victories over every team on the international roster.

He has been integral to the success of the Test team.

And he held himself, and his team, together splendidly the only time things threatened to unravel - during the last World Cup in South Africa.

Australia was beset by off-field firestorms - the Warne drug scandal, alleged racism slurs involving Adam Gilchrist and moral arguments over whether to play in Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe.

Ponting came through with flying colours, especially over his handling of the Warne fiasco.

Teammates were impressed by the way he took control and encouraged them to say their piece there and then - and to promptly put it all behind them and get on with winning the World Cup.

Ponting said later his sympathy for Warne was tempered with annoyance at his "madness" in taking a banned drug and jeopardising Australia's campaign.

Ponting has also spoken out against the worst extremes of Australia's notorious on-field sledging of opponents.

What a change in tone from the Ponting of several years earlier when his career was blighted by bars, booze, black eyes and bookies.

He was fined over an incident in a Calcutta bar.

He was dropped from the Australian team, and agreed to undergo counselling for a drink problem, after being knocked unconscious in a Sydney nightclub brawl.

He admitted he erred in not telling officialdom sooner about being offered money by a Sydney greyhound bookmaker for team information - an offer he turned down.

The new, confident, more mature Ponting - he credits his wife of 18 months Rianna as a major steadying influence - has been a revelation.

His captaincy style has been similar to Waugh's - aggressive and based on backing himself and his players in any situation.

But he has been that way from day one, whereas Waugh took a year or so to give full rein and trust to his own instincts.

Australia will soon know how successful Ponting is in uniting the two crowns - the Test and one-day captaincy - for after Waugh steps down he faces a nine-month whirlwind of activity.

He will lead both teams in at least seven Tests and 14 one-day matches in Australia, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe as well as the Champions Trophy in England in September.

Just as well Ponting possesses what Adam Gilchrist calls "that unique ability to distance himself from the team but still be one of the boys, which we say all great leaders need".

Ponting's team ethic is no idle boast.

"I wouldn't know the amount of runs I've scored in Test cricket to within 500 or a thousand runs probably," he said recently.

"It just doesn't mean anything to me.

"What does mean a lot to me is what I do for the team and how the team performs."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:23 pm

Punter 'can match Don'
December 2, 2003 - Fox Sports

FORMER Test wicketkeeper Rod Marsh has tipped Ricky Ponting to be revered like Sir Donald Bradman or Sachin Tendulkar if he plays to his potential.

The Australian Test captain in-waiting was today named Wisden Australia's Cricketer of the Year for his outstanding form with the bat and leadership of the one-day side.

Ponting's one-time mentor Marsh said the 28-year-old could be one of the all-time greats of the game.

"He can go as far as he wants to go because he has got the talent," said Marsh, who guided the Tasmanian at the Australian Cricket Academy in Adelaide.

"Sometimes very specially talented cricketers never reach their full potential, but what they do is often good enough to make them outstanding players.

"At his best, if he did reach his full potential, there is no reason why he couldn't be like Bradman or Tendulkar and those sorts of people.

"He's probably very close to doing that. I always have the feeling that he has more left in him. I hope that for the fans' sake and the sake of the game, he lets it come out."

In the last 12 months, Ponting scored 1282 runs at an average of 80.13 in 11 Tests.

He led Australia to a successful defence of the World Cup despite the Shane Warne doping scandal and scored 1085 runs in limited-overs internationals, including a breathtaking 140 not out in the World Cup final win over India.

Wisden Australia noted how Ponting had matured since the Kings Cross nightclub incident in Sydney four years ago.

Ponting told Wisden he is in the best form of his career and is in the happiest period of his life, thanks to his marriage last year to Rianna.

"I've developed a lot as a person and a cricketer since the day of my wedding to Rianna," he said.

"I now have respect for myself, the game of cricket and all the people around me, team-mates included."

Ponting received his award today at a function in Brisbane while Test opener Matthew Hayden was honoured for being one of Wisden's five Cricketers of the Year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: