Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Stephen Colbert on the debate:

Very funny (at times) : even for trump supporters.

http://www.realclearlife.com/2016/09/27/colbert-sums-up-the-first-trump-clinton-debate/

Wow!

That is the unfunniest Colbert I have ever seen. What was there to laugh at? Nothing, repeat nothing at all.

Was it just a very off night, or has he lost his touch. I kept waiting for the funny bit, but there wasn't one. Very sad to see a great comic reduced to this.

I usually find this guy and Jon Stewart to be insufferable but this bit was actually pretty funny. To be fair on Tannin it's been dark and cold up this way for far too long, I'd suggest a Vitamin D supplement. Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:27 pm

Good grief. Whoever said discipline was a necessary presidential characteristic?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/01/us/politics/donald-trump-alicia-machado.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:28 pm

Oh a web page.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:49 pm

David wrote:
Good grief. Whoever said discipline was a necessary presidential characteristic?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/01/us/politics/donald-trump-alicia-machado.html

Yeah I read that thus morning! Funny he picks on someone for their looks! He is a rats breakfast

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:50 pm

I don't know very many rats breakfast.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:38 pm

The thing about comedy - the very essence of it - is that it has to surprise you. This pissweak effort by Colbert failed to surprise me (and thus perhaps make me laugh). Not even once. Every single line was utterly predictable. I kept thinking "OK, now he's going to say "X" and then follow up with the punchline. Knowing Colbert, who is a very funny guy, it'll be a ripper". And Colbert would indeed say 'X" .... but there was no punchline. WTF?

Contrast with the Gruen team. They have their better weeks and their poorer weeks, but you can guarantee at least three or four genuine belly laughs even on a very bad week. Time Colbert retired if he can't do any better than that.

Although, to be fair, this particular US election, thanks mostly to Trump, is in itself so bizarre and funny that perhaps there are no ridiculously but humourously absurd things for a comedian to say about it that aren't either already true in real life or just pale imitations of the reality. Humour loves the unexpected and it loves to exaggerate. You can't exaggerate the smooth sleaziness of Clinton or the crass stupidity of Trump 'coz they are already, on a scale of 1 to 10, nudging 11.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Interesting they say late night drunk Donald, I thought he didn't drink at all.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Quote:
He declared on Twitter that Kim Novak, a reclusive 81-year-old actress at the time, "should sue her plastic surgeon," sending her into hiding. He derided the appearance of a rival, Carly Fiorina, angering female voters by asking: "Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?" And he criticised the mother of a slain American soldier, musing that, as a Muslim woman, she was not "allowed" to speak, undercutting his campaign momentum at a crucial time. age 1.10.16

Yes, I remember the old fascist himself, Johannes Bjelke Peterson, getting into hot water by saying about a female journalist:
"if it flies like a crow, and sounds like a crow..."

the journo accused him of calling her a crow!

I knew exactly what the old tyrant was on about, trying to impart some folksy wisdom to youse all knowing city slickers. Unfortunately Mr Broken Syntax stuffed it up. So if you're going to insult people, get it right.

Populist fascism is like that, tapping into the anger that people feel. But if it goes too far it looks embarrassing...

Getting back to you know who, I am sure that a lot of Germans felt extreme anger when they saw Bismarck and Hindenburg replaced by men dressed as ladies and worse, ladies dressed as men, such as Ms Marlene Dietrich, and were tempted by the siren call of you know who...
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:22 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Interesting they say late night drunk Donald, I thought he didn't drink at all.

I think the expression was 'Twitter-drunk', which seems kind of apt considering he seems to log in to there more often than I log in to Nick's (and that's saying something!).

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:50 pm

Trump voters gravely ill ....well.....who knew...
what the hell; dont get chemo today or get a cancerous tumor hacked off , get out and vote for Donny dont pay tax...faaaaaark, it just gets more bizarre every day.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election/us-election-2016-trump-tells-terminally-ill-to-get-out-and-vote-20161007-grxc0u.html

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:21 pm

"Make your last act a stupid one"?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:19 am

Very much enjoyed Robert de Niro's latest ad. Spot on.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:10 am

Hoisted by his own petard Laughing

Trump will come out swinging but this latest revelation of his private thoughts of condoning & bragging about sexually assaulting women is indefensible.

Hilary needn't do anything.

Increasingly, he comes across as a spoilt brat, like a 7 year old: blame everyone else.

"I'm holding up well, holding up well," he said when The Washington Post asked for his response to a surge of anger and disbelief in the Republican Party. Rejecting colleagues' demands that he step down, the candidate declared: "I'd never withdraw. I've never withdrawn in my life No, I'm not quitting this race. I have tremendous support." Laughing Laughing

[i]"...And despite Trump's show of bravura, aides at Trump Tower confided to reporters that the candidate was shaken and isolated, watching TV coverage of the implosion of his campaign in disbelief and horror..."[b]

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election/donald-trump-says-the-republican-party-cannot-make-him-quit-20161008-gry1bt.html[/b][/i]

Last edited by watt price tully on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:34 am; edited 4 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:13 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Very much enjoyed Robert de Niro's latest ad. Spot on.

Yes, how I was wathcing the ABC this mornig too Wink

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:55 pm

Hardly out of character, but seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back for many Republicans. Talk now that Pence might take over as candidate. Incredible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 91, 92, 93 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 92 of 148   

Jump to: