Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Funny Cricket Moments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:05 am
Post subject: Funny Cricket MomentsReply with quote

I was just reflecting on some funny cricket moments that I experienced as a youngster playing zone 4 cricket in QLD...if any of you have some funny experiences, please share them...personal experiences would be great rather than those viewed in first class cricket....

Here a few of mine......

Our Junior Cricket Team was basically our under 7's footy team as well...during the first game we played a few funny things happened....the third ball of the match one of our blokes ripped in a beauty ball and clean bowled the batsman...we all rushed in and the our wicket keeper was the most excited, he exclaimed "sheez what a ball, look it was so fast it broke the bails in half" (you know the backyard cricket sets)...anyways, during the oppositions innings we received a warning from the umpire about excessive noise coming from the players in the field...Apparently talking it up is not as popular in cricket is it is on the footy field and some parents from the other side were a little annoyed when anyone who came in to bowl was being encouraged by pretty much the whole side in the field during his run up of each ball with shouting like "YEAH GO MATE, YOU CAN GET HIM, COME ON...<clap, clap, clap>

It came our turn to bat and I actually opened and was somewhat perplexed about a little piece of plastic with a cloth like trim around it..I turned to my team mates to figure out what the hell it was, and what it was to be used for...One of the players grabbed both of these strange objects and exclaimed..."they must be for your knees"...another player then cried.."nah, they are shoulder pads" then in the infinate wisdom of yet another 7 year old...Matty Lynch stepped forward and said "IDIOTS, IT IS FOR YA DICK" thus the begining of several years of box wearing had begun.

I have heaps more, but will share them from time to time....look forward to hearing yours..

Cheers

Magpies1982 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one that isnt that funny, but gives me a bit of a chuckle.

I was playing junior cricket under thirteens, and feilding at fine leg, and the ball came scooting along the ground towards me, i kept hearing 'keeper, keeper!' so in my haste, picked up the ball and pegged it as hard as i could to the keeper. Well it slipped and flew out the top of my hand with a bit of force straight over the keepers head, funnily enough turning into a rank full toss into the bowlers end stumps. Stumps flew everywhere, head in my hands I was relived to see everyone jumping aorund celebrating a wicket. Turns out I ran out the non striker! So I got the run out, just not the intended one!
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:25 pm

Good stuff, Greg. Very Happy

Your tale about the old groin protector reminds me of a similar one.

One of our team-mates had brought his new girlfriend to a game. It was extremely hot and she had soon stripped down to a fairly small bikini. She was not quite Pam Anderson but similarly built.

During the lunch break she was looking at all the gear in our kit and picked up two boxes. Holding one in each hand, she held them up and said, "What are these for?"

She happened to be holding them in such a way that they obscured her skimpy bikini top. Of course, everyone just cracked up - with her just standing there, wondering what the hell she'd said that was so damn funny. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:17 pm

HAHAHa Great stories.....

Playing under 15's....we came up against a side that had only 10 players available, so naturally you did the right thing and one of our boys went out and fielded for them..I opened Bat and raced away to a good solid 50...I was in pretty good form of late but had never scored consecutive 100's before..so I got real nervous, because the previous week I had reached tripple figures and I was sitting on 98...anyways I lofted a drive through covers...great shot, just a little upish and I thought, you beauty...that will be four, then out of nowhere this player flies to his side and snags the catch like 2 inches from the ground..a genuine classic catch...he jumps up and celebrates as you would after a great catch...problem was...he was the guy that was from our side fielding for the opposition...It took me over a month to even acknoledge they guy as a human....lol

Cheers

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:20 pm

I am surprised it took so long.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:35 pm

It's a difficult job when you have to umpire in a game you're also playing in. You have to adjudicate on your own batsmen.

In one of these games, a bloke I'd known for many years - a farmer and as honest as the day is long - was umpiring when the batsman played at a ball on his off stump line.

I was at first slip. Those of us around the bat were fairly sure the batsman had nicked it to the keeper. A big appeal went up.

He stood his ground and looked towards the umpy with a somewhat guilty glance.

The umpy looked a bit puzzled and asked of the batsman, "Did you hit that, mate?" Putting on his best innocent look, he answered, "No, mate"

"Well, you're out, l.b.w. mate" Very Happy

It's a story I've told at a couple of cricket dinners and it always get a big laugh.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:33 pm

Well Well Well... Ive heard some Classic Cricket stories. Got a Few of my own.. not that good but hey, Im bored shitless..

First Story Happened just Last year. I was fielding at second slip and my Mate Mark was feilding at First slip, And as usual we were really dishin it out to the batsmen... Remark after Remark. He really wasnt handling the Sledging well either, Mark then uttered a comment to him (which i cant remember but it was insulting) and the next ball was an absolute RipSnaunter which to Mark's Surprise, found the edge it clocked him right between the eyes!! he went down like a Sack of Potatoes, and didnt get back up for a while either. The Batsmen then walked up to him and helped him up.. It was extreamly Funny at the time.

And in the under 12's Grand Final (we won by a run) i was fielding at Mid Off and we were getting Killed... He batter Sky's 1 and i yell out CATCH IT!!! then i realised it was coming right down my throut, I then yelled out OH SHIT! and dropped it.. it was single handledly the most embarrassing cricket moment for me Embarassed

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:43 am

Towards the end of a game that we had well in hand, I gave my keeper, John Burchell, a bowl. This bloke was a real wag, a cricket veteran and a very funny character.

After his first over, he wandered up the pitch to take back the gloves from me. I had enjoyed keeping so much, I said, "No, mate. Bowlers rest at fine leg" He wandered off mumbling something about me dropping a catch.

The last ball of the over was top edged towards fine leg and really steepled.

It was in the air so long that Burchy got under it, spat on both hands, smacked them together a couple of times, got down on one knee and was commenting how, "These ones are really easy" when the ball came down, went straight through his hands and hit him in the groin.

Still makes me chuckle every time I think of it.

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:43 am

Alright here is another...

I was pretty handy with the bat, but always looked upon myself as a good bowler as well...in juniors I classed myself as a spinner..it was actually more like rolling the arm over and watching the compo ball die on the concrete but I fancied myself as good or better than Peter Taylor at the time.

Anyways in an Under 13's match I was given the ball to bowl against a guy who played footy against me as well, so we knew each other pretty well and he happened to be the one of the best batsmen in our zone...well known for his clean hitting.

1st ball he hit straight past me for 4, then nxt he smacked for 6..the 3rd went through covers for 4 and the 4th ball he pulled for a six....after that ball I stared him down a bit and he looked at me and laughed....I said to him...."laugh aye mate...laugh...well try this wrongin"

My Dad was umpiring at the time and as I went back to my mark he quietly said "Son....do you even know what a wrongin is?" I said "yeah watch this"...So I slipped him what my dad described later as "The most techinically Perfect Wrongin he had ever seen"...and clean bowled him...I never tried the wrongin agan because guess what....I really had no idea at all what one was at the time or how to bowl one...

cheers

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:06 pm

Until I can think of another from my own playing days, I'll repeat one I think is a classic.

A young fast bowler was bowling to the great Viv Richards in County cricket. He beat him a couple of times with Viv feeling for the ball outside off.

The young man chirps, "Hey Viv, it's that little round red thing" and goes back to his mark, chuckling.

The next ball is a good one. Viv steps down the wicket and smashes it out of the ground. He says to the young bowler, "You know what the f****** thing looks like. You go and get it!!" Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: