Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US Election 2016

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
^

Short term, I predict that when Trump is elected the $US will nosedive due to market uncertainty. That's the time to buy because it will go back up.

Disclaimer - don't take financial advice from drunken HR people. Razz Wink

That works for me - GO THE DONALD!!!! Very Happy

Oh and I'd never trust a HR person who wasn't drunk Wink Razz

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Morrigu wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Short term, I predict that when Trump is elected the $US will nosedive due to market uncertainty. That's the time to buy because it will go back up.

Disclaimer - don't take financial advice from drunken HR people. Razz Wink

That works for me - GO THE DONALD!!!! Very Happy

Oh and I'd never trust a HR person who wasn't drunk Wink Razz

I've never trusted personnel Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:13 pm

What kind of people are you talking about?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:47 am

stui magpie wrote:
Lets not forget when people jump on what Trump says as proof that he's an idiot, he's actually more progressive than Clinton.

Seriously? How?

I'll grant you that Clinton is a right-wing Democrat and Trump on some issues is to the left of most of his Republican opponents. But it's difficult to imagine how you could say he's more progressive than she is.

Possible exceptions:

1) He's a protectionist and an opponent of free trade. That's one of those issues that cuts sideways through the political spectrum. I wouldn't say it's a particularly left or right thing; more something that people within the right (and to a lesser extent the left) argue with each other about.

2) He may be marginally more opposed to foreign intervention than Clinton is. That's actually the silver lining on the black Trump cloud if true, but he's said so many contradictory things in this area that it's hard to know what to think. Putting out drone strikes on terrorists' families doesn't sound very progressive to me. He also wants to tear up the deal with Iran, which hardly shifts us any closer to world peace.

Otherwise, he's anti-immigration, pro-gun rights, has hinted at trying to get same-sex marriage overturned, promises to torture terror suspects held without charge, wants to limit abortion rights, wants to drastically lower taxes... and you say he's more progressive than Clinton?

stui magpie wrote:
I reckon once he's elected POTUS you can forget about most of what he said he would do, and worry about what he actually believes in and what he will do.

Some of these things are the same, some are not. He's a wildcard and won't owe favours to anyone and that frightens the shite out of the establishment who are used to controlling things.

I wonder if anyone was saying that in 1933 Germany... "it's just campaign rhetoric, he'll settle down once he gets into office". One thing we can certainly agree on is that he's a loose cannon I just don't happen to see that as a positive trait in any way, particularly when he has actual cannons at his disposal. I don't even want to think about what he might decide to do later; what he's already come up with is bad enough.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:53 am

Watching Sanders urging his supporters to vote for Clinton was almost farcically sad not because he's wrong to do so (I think he absolutely had to endorse her), but because his heart was so clearly not in it and because his supporters so clearly viewed it as a betrayal.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:01 pm

David wrote:
Have to agree with Wokko here. Though some of their talking heads like Sean Hannity have jumped on board the Trump bandwagon, they've mostly backed the establishment Republicans and Cruz-supporting Tea Party types (both of whom are staunchly opposed to Trump) since the beginning. It may seem perplexing, but the American right is as fragmented as the left right now.

Well all I can say is that I must be watching a very different Fox news channel to you guys.. Rolling Eyes

Even last night and again this morning, ALL I ever saw was blatant jeering of Clinton and support for Trump from all except for the African American guy named Wan on the FIVE program. The others on the FIVE panel, O'Reilly, Dana, Megan, Brett Bear and Hannity are really up Trump's arse.

They are most definitely pro Trump, not a single doubt in my mind after months of watching. CNN presentation is on the other hand extremely balanced in my opinion.

Last edited by Lazza on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Lazza wrote:
CNN presentation is on the other hand extremely balanced in my opinion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

They don't call it the Clinton News Network for nothing. The email leak has proven it.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:20 pm

Wokko wrote:
Lazza wrote:
CNN presentation is on the other hand extremely balanced in my opinion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

They don't call it the Clinton News Network for nothing. The email leak has proven it.

What DO they call FOX then dude?

*****ng Obnoxious Xenophobes? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool

That works well......... Twisted Evil Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Lazza wrote:

Well all I can say is that I must be watching a very different Fox news channel to you guys.. Rolling Eyes

I dare say so, considering I never watch it. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:38 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Lets not forget when people jump on what Trump says as proof that he's an idiot, he's actually more progressive than Clinton.

Seriously? How?

I'll grant you that Clinton is a right-wing Democrat and Trump on some issues is to the left of most of his Republican opponents. But it's difficult to imagine how you could say he's more progressive than she is.

Possible exceptions:

1) He's a protectionist and an opponent of free trade. That's one of those issues that cuts sideways through the political spectrum. I wouldn't say it's a particularly left or right thing; more something that people within the right (and to a lesser extent the left) argue with each other about.

2) He may be marginally more opposed to foreign intervention than Clinton is. That's actually the silver lining on the black Trump cloud if true, but he's said so many contradictory things in this area that it's hard to know what to think. Putting out drone strikes on terrorists' families doesn't sound very progressive to me. He also wants to tear up the deal with Iran, which hardly shifts us any closer to world peace.

Otherwise, he's anti-immigration, pro-gun rights, has hinted at trying to get same-sex marriage overturned, promises to torture terror suspects held without charge, wants to limit abortion rights, wants to drastically lower taxes... and you say he's more progressive than Clinton?

stui magpie wrote:
I reckon once he's elected POTUS you can forget about most of what he said he would do, and worry about what he actually believes in and what he will do.

Some of these things are the same, some are not. He's a wildcard and won't owe favours to anyone and that frightens the shite out of the establishment who are used to controlling things.

I wonder if anyone was saying that in 1933 Germany... "it's just campaign rhetoric, he'll settle down once he gets into office". One thing we can certainly agree on is that he's a loose cannon I just don't happen to see that as a positive trait in any way, particularly when he has actual cannons at his disposal. I don't even want to think about what he might decide to do later; what he's already come up with is bad enough.

Oh dear, someone has been sucked right into the shriekers vortex. Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm not saying he's as bad as Hitler, but he's certainly in the category of unpredictable, authoritarian demagogues that Hitler belongs to. The cap fits.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 pm

I think you mean Mussolini, Hitler was entirely predictable, hell he wrote a book about what he was going to do.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:01 am

Wow, Bill Clinton still has it in spades. That was some speech: caught a fair bit of it this afternoon.

Ladies & gentlemen, normal programming will be restored soon.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:35 am

David wrote:
Watching Sanders urging his supporters to vote for Clinton was almost farcically sad not because he's wrong to do so (I think he absolutely had to endorse her), but because his heart was so clearly not in it and because his supporters so clearly viewed it as a betrayal.

Sanders' supporters are angry and betrayed as you've already noted. From their perspective, they feel like he sold out to the establishment.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-27/bernie-sanders-supporters-take-over-democrat-media-centre/7664134

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 am

watt price tully wrote:
Wow, Bill Clinton still has it in spades

Yeah he does - he makes my skin crawl yuk yuk yuk sleazy ++++ And she has enabled him and victim blamed. I'm surprised you can have any admiration for her Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
Page 74 of 148   

Jump to: