Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

a way out of this mess.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed healey 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:02 am
Post subject: a way out of this mess.Reply with quote

We can still make finals if MM makes a few subtle changes in the club.
The non leaping ruckman mckee is causing a lot of the problem by getting slaughtered each week.
I say MM if you are listening put Ant in the centre bounces as ruckman for the rest of the season and just see how he copes.
And then get him fitter over summer so he may make a decent ruckman.
We know stunner cant do it and if he keeps up the no leaping efforts we will finish 12th.
When Ant has been put in the ruck as mckee has been sent to the pine it has turned some games our way this year.
Tarrant attracts the best backmen each week so lets play smart and use him as a decoy.
He will still get a few kicks but all attacks will not rebound off him like they are now if we use a different approach.
Other coaches have worked out our style now and have targetted Taz,obree,lonie for extra attention so lets earn our money MM and get smart,make a few moves and the players we have may just do the job.
The big picture is a flag and thats not this year or next unless we get a real ruckman or develop one we have got already.
Unlike mr coventry who should be sent to coventry I have not given up but some alterations must be made quickly.
Ill be there at subiaco on satdee to see the pies.
Thanks to channel rex i havent seen a magpie kick for 4 weeks now and only rely on whats on the internet sites for info.
Its not all gloom as some on this board seem to want us to believe,but we all have the same long term wish dont we!
to be Number one!!!!

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 3:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Ed, I agree with most of your points.

We have a huge problem in the ruck and with centre clearances - what's going on there? When we do happen to get a clearance, we go wide rather than straight down the middle.

And what's with our tackling efforts - bloody hell, we can't seem to hold them!!! Manning up is still a problem as is talking to each other - we get caught alot because we hold onto the ball for that few too many steps (c'mon guys, let your team mates know that the opposition is right onto them).

Another problem continues to be our attack. The games against Bulldogs, West Coast and Melbourne we got it right but other than those we've been struggling. And you want to know why? Because we try and do too much with the ball, passing it around too much, giving off little pissweak kicks and dodgy handballs to another player under pressure. I say, if you're within 50 (and even just outside if you're on the run), have a bloody shot!!! It should be a rule - never pass within 50 (cos it usually goes wrong, as the ball is kicked too low, too high or an opposition player intercepts)!

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 8:59 am

good points, jessica...I mean kristin5

in the past 3 losses, the pies have been carved up in the ruck. that's OK if our players are sharking the opposition ruckman's taps, like against melbourne. but when they don't, it's big trouble as evidenced by the recent poor centre clearances. mckee's great at stop plays, but not around the ground and centre bounces. maybe start pebbles at the centre? I heard a rumour that beau mcdonald might be contemplating returning to melbourne. if he's available, we should have a crack at getting him. or fight fremantle for clark keating.

on saturday, c'wood were forced wide due to the flooding tactics of hawthorn.

yeah, I don't know what's been happening with the tackling either. they're not sticking; hawk players were breaking tackles too easily. players were more interested in bumping rather than tackling, which is fine if you knock them out but it's not good when they just bounce off. another reason is that the hawks were just too good in their overlap plays. they knew where each other were and had the pies chasing shadows. maybe they should get the melbourne storm tackle coach down to vic park for a few sessions?

yeah, players of AFL standard should be able to dob goals from about 50 out. they should not be shy and just go for it. pebbles and didak showed the way in the last quarter. neon should take more guys on as well. I saw him front graeme at one stage on saturday and he could have so easily burned him off for pace. that's something that chippa was so good at. he wasn't afraid to take them on.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:20 pm

We have the 201 cm ex-Hawthorn Ruckman Steven Rode sitting on our Rookie List. From what I've heard, Hawthorn only gave him the flick to fit O'Farrell salary-demands into the cap.

Anyway, what the hell? Lane, Wasley, Dimattina or even Hill - any of these guys can go for the promotion of Rode. He may be hopeless, but whatever alternatives is there without robbing the forward-line?

Sly.
MTA.
The Collingwood Rant.
Dantheman 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2001 4:29 pm

The coaching staff know what they're doing.

Everyone thought they'd stuffed the recruiting this year but they haven't. They are focussed on the bigger picture.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: