Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Things that make you go.......WTF?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This Guardian-feminist take on the Kim Duthie saga, from someone who apparently wasn't following it too closely.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/27/ask-kim-duthie-if-shes-surprised-that-women-are-still-blamed-for-their-abuse

Quote:
n 2011, a 48-year-old man indulged in a “tawdry affair” with a 17-year-old girl. She was a schoolgirl infatuated with the world he represented – of money and parties and glamour. He was successful, well-known, wealthy ... and very married at the time.

Four years later, accounts of the affair differ between the parties because, whatever happened, the end was acrimonious. The ends of these relationships often are. Where a sexual frisson is generated in this kind of man by young, beautiful girls, it fades with a painful realisation that the relative powerlessness of penniless kids just doesn’t stay sexy.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:51 pm

David wrote:
This Guardian-feminist take on the Kim Duthie saga, from someone who apparently wasn't following it too closely.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/27/ask-kim-duthie-if-shes-surprised-that-women-are-still-blamed-for-their-abuse

Quote:
n 2011, a 48-year-old man indulged in a “tawdry affair” with a 17-year-old girl. She was a schoolgirl infatuated with the world he represented – of money and parties and glamour. He was successful, well-known, wealthy ... and very married at the time.

Four years later, accounts of the affair differ between the parties because, whatever happened, the end was acrimonious. The ends of these relationships often are. Where a sexual frisson is generated in this kind of man by young, beautiful girls, it fades with a painful realisation that the relative powerlessness of penniless kids just doesn’t stay sexy.

It's sad when someone has to rely on tawdry gossip page nonsense to get people to read their boring feminist drivel.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:53 pm

Is this a math question?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:00 pm

One would like to remark that this sets a new low for Guardian feminist columnists.

Sadly, it doesn't.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:56 pm

&

Hey, it's all good, the Aged now is affiliated with the Huff n Puff Post and links directly to their articles, so you can read all your good feminist stuff there.

ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Embarassed

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:23 am

It's interesting reading the comments. The vast majority are wringing their hands in horror about this horrible man's exploitation of this poor innocent girl.

FFS. Can we at least acknowledge that there were a few different power dynamics going on here? We could all see from a mile away that Duthie's sole aim in commencing her 'relationship' with him was to **** him up in revenge for his role in the St Kilda player shenanigans, and the boofhead predictably fell into her trap. At best you could say there was mutual exploitation.

I really feel like I shouldn't care about this ultra-lowbrow tabloid scandal, but it's annoying to see people like this opinionista being so dense. Then again, she was singing Bill Shorten's praises a few months ago, so perhaps her judgement was never that great.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:51 am

I'm not reading it but poor innocent girl my arse. She knew exactly what she was doing and even though his judgement was impaired by a stiff dick he knew exactly what he was doing too.

As you say there were definitely some messed up power dynamics going on, not many of which had her as a victim.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not reading it but poor innocent girl my arse. She knew exactly what she was doing and even though his judgement was impaired by a stiff dick he knew exactly what he was doing too.

As you say there were definitely some messed up power dynamics going on, not many of which had her as a victim.

Yeah, penniless. Before she was 20 she had a St Kilda apartment (they used to be flats around there) and a 4 wd car. And dare I say it a fair bit bit of coin. <snip - that could be considered defamatory.>

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:00 am

She was 17. He was 40. 40 year olds don't get 'seduced' by 17 year olds, they don't let it get that far. He should have said no. He should have been the adult.

Think back to any horrible decisions you made as a 17 year old. They certainly should not be book fodder. Yes I think she made some bloody awful decisions, and I sure wonder what kind of parents she had, but she doesn't deserve to be cannon fodder for a middle aged shit who threw away everything himself.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:57 am

I agree that this book is a waste of perfectly good trees, but otherwise I think that's a pretty narrow understanding of human behaviour. Obviously a 17 year old can set out to seduce an older person. Maybe a mature, responsible 40-year-old will say no, but there are plenty of men and women that age who don't fit into that category. In this case, it's fair to say Nixon wasn't and isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But even so, I wonder where we draw the line. I have a couple of classmates who had a one night stand earlier this year. One is 35, the other is 19. It was perfectly consensual (again, it seems to have been the younger one who was the seducer) and the two still hang out on a regular basis. Who can reasonably say that what they did was wrong?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 am

David wrote:
I agree that this book is a waste of perfectly good trees, but otherwise I think that's a pretty narrow understanding of human behaviour. Obviously a 17 year old can set out to seduce an older person. Maybe a mature, responsible 40-year-old will say no, but there are plenty of men and women that age who don't fit into that category. In this case, it's fair to say Nixon wasn't and isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But even so, I wonder where we draw the line. I have a couple of classmates who had a one night stand earlier this year. One is 35, the other is 19. It was perfectly consensual (again, it seems to have been the younger one who was the seducer) and the two still hang out on a regular basis. Who can reasonably say that what they did was wrong?

There was a time when it wasn't just normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjy-OMIyXbg

I agree completely, there are some very cold, conniving younger people and some very vulnerable 'adults'. It could be (I would say likely) that Ricky suffers from mental illness, then he's not a prat but a victim. Not saying that IS the case, but you know, the world isn't always black and white.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:44 pm

David wrote:

I get human nature completely-99%of men are bastards, and if it's offered, they will take it!

HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:47 pm

I know one is the smallest integer but I had no idea it was 35 the other is 19.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:43 pm

It's hardly uncommon for young pretty things to hook up with old men, there's usually some payback in the form of financial assistance or career or something.

If Nixon really thought this bird lusted after his manly physique he was dead set deluded. Neither were innocent but neither was the bad guy either.

An Aged columnist gives the Chicken Train (Nixon) a fair slap in this article, some of which I laughed at,

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/its-guys-like-you-ricky-20151128-glacjh.html

HAL 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:46 pm

I don't know if they were.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 147, 148, 149 ... 275, 276, 277  Next
Page 148 of 277   

Jump to: