Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Great article by Tony Armstrong

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:58 pm
Post subject: Great article by Tony ArmstrongReply with quote

Tony Armstrong writes an excellent article in the Herald Sun about the challenge ahead of becoming an ex AFL footballer.

Quote:
TIME and tide wait for no man. I have 42 days. My clock is ticking. Id just left my exit meeting with the senior coaches at the Collingwood Football Club the morning after we had been knocked out of the VFL finals.

We had lost by seven points after leading all day.

With the meeting over, reality began to set in. Its over. The thing Ive known ever since I was a fresh-faced little whippet (still a little guy, not sure about fresh-faced), was done.

I had 42 more days of being a paid footballer and I needed to work out what was next.

Its something that every player has to deal with, from your 372-game, dual premiership, dual Brownlow medallists like Adam Goodes, to your three-club, 36-game players like me (I think I was among the best once, though).

Every day, as it gets closer to the inevitable final payday, I have found myself growing more and more nervous, constantly thinking to myself, will I be OK? Am I actually going to get a job?.

Nice reference in the article to a meeting with Eddie giving him some advice,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/afl-footballs-over-but-its-lessons-remain-with-former-players-for-life/story-fni0ffsx-1227562480709?sv=e8003c3e6da0a2566f7a3addfe9c92a3

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that line about sitting down with Eddie to plan for the future says what's great about Eddie's administration. He cares and if you've served the Pies he'll look after you.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Paywalled for me, unfortunately. Pity, as it looks like a good read from the little i can see.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Ditto but needs a like button. Shame he didn't make it. Seemed like a nice bloke
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:20 pm

Ah, to hell with it. Here's the article.

Quote:
TIME and tide wait for no man. I have 42 days. My clock is ticking. Id just left my exit meeting with the senior coaches at the Collingwood Football Club the morning after we had been knocked out of the VFL finals.

With the meeting over, reality began to set in. Its over. The thing Ive known ever since I was a fresh-faced little whippet (still a little guy, not sure about fresh-faced), was done.

I had 42 more days of being a paid footballer and I needed to work out what was next.

Its something that every player has to deal with, from your 372-game, dual premiership, dual Brownlow medallists like Adam Goodes, to your three-club, 36-game players like me (I think I was among the best once, though).

Every day, as it gets closer to the inevitable final payday, I have found myself growing more and more nervous, constantly thinking to myself, will I be OK? Am I actually going to get a job?.

You find yourself waking up in the middle of the night, your mind racing, getting stressed about things youve never had to think about before.

That is the one thing that all the support cant possibly prepare you for. The uncertainty.

In your whole football life, you know exactly what date you are back at the club, what time you have to run in your time trial and even what your skin folds have to be. Everything is so structured, so when that is taken away from you, you struggle.

But I would be lying if I said I wasnt excited about what comes next. My own experience in football didnt bring me exactly what I wanted, so, with that now behind me, its great to have a blank canvas on which I can colour my life.

Like a few of the other past players Ive spoken to, I feel like there is a lot more that I have to offer, probably as most footballers do. The values instilled in us at a football club hard work, determination, honesty and teamwork are reinforced over your career and, to be honest, dont take any talent.

But they hold you in good stead wherever you go. Thank God for that.

But Ill miss it. How Ill miss it. There is something special, almost intangible about being part of a football club. Every day you see the same boys, sit in the same seats, talking about the same things. Its a brotherhood, a kind of cult.

If one of you breaks the team ethos, you all pay.

Ill miss the 6am sessions and the time trials. Ill miss walking in and laughing with my mates over a spray one of them gave me on the track. Or ripping into one of the boys because of his new haircut.

But then again I wont miss the reviews on a Monday after I know Ive let the boys down.

But it can be a great life. Just think of it: you get to run out on a weekend with some of your best mates and that feeling when youre down at the bottom of the race, when your heart is pumping at a million miles an hour, is something that can never be replaced.

I wonder if Chris Judd or Adam Goodes wonder where they will get that deep fulfilment from next.

I think the reality of leaving the game is really going to sink in for everyone on the day that their respective clubs go back to preseason and we arent there. Its like a party that you arent invited to. On that day I will feel more upset than at any other time over this period.

So Collingwoods Copeland Trophy is tonight and after that I will have completed my final obligation as a professional footballer.

I leave knowing with absolute certainty that AFL clubs take in boys and turn them into men.

I go into the unknown with some great friends I will have for life, knowing that wherever I go I will always have their support. The lessons I have learnt over my time as a footballer make the 18-year-old me unrecognisable and I will be forever grateful for that.

I still dont know what is coming next but I had to pinch myself when I was sitting in Eddie McGuires office talking about future opportunities and potential strategies. That gave me some hope at least.

All the other men leaving the game this year should leave knowing the skills they have acquired are hugely valuable and if they attack their next challenges with the same vigour that they attacked their football career, they will be fine.

To the boys just starting out, make the most of your time in the game and connect with as many of the right people as you can because from the second you walk into the game, your clock is ticking.

Tony Armstrong is a former Collingwood, Sydney and Adelaide footballer

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:48 am

Wow, that's great stuff.

And he nails why I can never understand a footballer chucking it all away over a cheap high on the side.

Good luck to him, wherever he ends up

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:50 am

nice to know ya Tony..to know ya nice. not bothered reading article,see ya pal. move on, sure your a nice bloke n all.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:29 am

stui magpie wrote:
Ah, to hell with it. Here's the article.

Quote:

............Tony Armstrong is a former Collingwood, Sydney and Adelaide footballer

Thanks Stui, great article.

Best of luck for your future Tony & thanks for playing for Collingwood.

Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:13 am

With that sort of attitude I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed on in some sort of development role, even play some VFL games.

I did hear an interview with him on Triple M earlier this year with Brian Taylor, he's good mates with BTs son, they went to school together. He said he was brought to Collingwood knowing senior games would be limited but he was going to be mentoring the younger players.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:03 am

Rick wrote:
With that sort of attitude I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed on in some sort of development role, even play some VFL games.

I did hear an interview with him on Triple M earlier this year with Brian Taylor, he's good mates with BTs son, they went to school together. He said he was brought to Collingwood knowing senior games would be limited but he was going to be mentoring the younger players.

Agree, he comes across as an incredibly level-headed young man. He should do well in life, and i hope so.

Thanks Stui for posting.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:07 pm

tone is a tremendously decent bloke. they do not always win you footballs games but they help drive the culture you might want.

he was very good with our young guys and showed great onfield leadership in the vfl. certainly had his share of knockers but he was well respected at the club which is more important.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:46 pm

I had heard before he ever came to the club he was a pretty decent guy, he has a very good attitude always seemed to have that at the club. He knew his role, he went and did that and went home. It is sad he wasn't much more, but at least he never let it all get to him and he did everything he could possibly do to make the best of his opportunities.

Best of luck in life Tony, hopefully it brings you all the success you deserve.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:53 pm

John Wren wrote:
tone is a tremendously decent bloke. they do not always win you footballs games but they help drive the culture you might want.

he was very good with our young guys and showed great onfield leadership in the vfl. certainly had his share of knockers but he was well respected at the club which is more important.

Good guy, bad guy it makes no difference on the footy field.
The pursuit of saintly material in players is overrated.
The leadership that keeps big heads and wayward characters in line
is more important.
But the Pies are looking for non sinners!

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:32 pm

I wonder whether Darren Millane would get a look in
at Pieland these days if he was reincarnated?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:14 pm

If we're thinking of giving spots on the list to 50 year old wingers, I suppose he could be an option. Otherwise, no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: