Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Saudi Arabia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

First door on the left, one cross each.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:03 pm

Cough *Amerindians* cough *slavery* cough *Mexico* cough *Hawaii* cough *Puerto Rico* cough *The Philippines* cough *Panama* cough *Haiti* cough *The Dominican Republic* cough *Syria v1.0* cough *Indonesia* cough *Laos* cough *Franco* cough *Iran v1.0* cough *Iraq v1.0* cough *Bolivia* cough *Vietnam* cough *Guyana* cough * Paraguay* cough *Ecuador* cough *El Salvador* cough *Nicaragua* cough *Guatemala* cough * East Timor v1.0* cough *Colombia* cough *Iraq sanctions* cough *Afghanistan* cough *Iraq* cough *drones* cough *arms sales* cough....

It takes incredible effort to navigate all of those fine planetary contributions in any technical way and still feel all warm. The simplest way to feel good about the US as a state is to memorise the following historical cognitive parameters:

Enlightenment > virginal pilgrims > revolutionary war > constitution > WW2 > Berlin Wall > Sep 11

Doesn't that give everyone a glow of pride and contentment rounded off with a sympathy which invites a steely new commitment?

Once again: Nations are convenient cognitive placeholders, not moral agents. They get at something else too tedious to describe in everyday conversation. We can't make serious, straight-faced claims such as "the US has been an overwhelming force for good" without running extraordinarily complex calculations, if at all.

It would be far more honest to concede that what we really mean is "the US as I model it in my mind's eye seems overwhelmingly beneficial for me and my welfare and happiness and that makes me feel good". This way, at least we're admitting that we're not conducting a serious analysis, but rather we're being completely emotional and solipsistic, and we hope like hell it's true because it feels good to us as a working assumption.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:14 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Big piece here furthering that article above if someone has time to format and paste it:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-29/sparrow-blind-eye-to-saudi-arabias-brutality/6813422

Thanks for linking the article PTID! Very interesting read.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:21 pm

So is it possible just to look at current times, or are the nazis the only ones who get to put it all in the past? How about the English coming in and killing all the aborigines? And then There is what we did to the scots (who can forget Hawaiian born mel Gibson as he is being hung drawn and quartered, FREEDOM!) and then there's the Irish! Lucky Aussies sit back and think they can pass judgement, of course you can, all the real Aussies got slaughtered, had their children stolen, and got booed on the footy field! Your just the next generation, innocent babes in arms!

September 11 really! Your going to blame that on the yanks! How $£$%^%%$ dare you.

I'll tell you what when push comes to shove, I know who I want on my side.

God bless America. They will save you, even when you don't $£$%^%%$ deserve it.

Let he who is free of sin cast thy stone.

But hey well done, turn it into another USA hate thread!

Gotta keep those tall Poppy's down boys, well done.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:53 pm

think positive wrote:
\September 11 really! Your going to blame that on the yanks! How $£$%^%%$ dare you.

Oi, read that bit again! You're confusing that cognitive map with the list of dubious interventions above it! The cognitive map is an example list of historical markers which make people feel good and/or elicit sympathy! Wink You owe me a beer, which I then have to forward to Mugwump for erroneously claiming he supported the Iraq War! Cool

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:08 am

think positive wrote:
So is it possible just to look at current times, or are the nazis the only ones who get to put it all in the past? How about the English coming in and killing all the aborigines? And then There is what we did to the scots (who can forget Hawaiian born mel Gibson as he is being hung drawn and quartered, FREEDOM!) and then there's the Irish! Lucky Aussies sit back and think they can pass judgement, of course you can, all the real Aussies got slaughtered, had their children stolen, and got booed on the footy field! Your just the next generation, innocent babes in arms!

September 11 really! Your going to blame that on the yanks! How $£$%^%%$ dare you.

Indeed, TP. One thing I'll never understand about the "intellectual Left" is their ability to live under the benevolent protection of the democracies, free to say what they think without fear of persecution or oppression, and then shamelessly spend their entire time trying to destroy, deny and denigrate them. The old Left, for which I still have great sympathy, was born of altruism and personal interest. It wanted a better economic deal for those at the bottom of the heap, and the right to rise within it - a very worthy and honourable ambition.

My hypothesis is that many of the New Left - being children of the narcissistic, self-seeking sixties - can only prove themselves superior to the system that bred them by damning it and undermining it. With most of their basic material wants and security satisfied by the society they are lucky enough to inhabit, they are consumers of the illusion of personal virtue.

Over the last 80 years we have seen Nazism, Sovietism, Theocracy, Military dictatorship - or the continuation of 200 years-plus of developing democracy, personal liberty, and constitutional law. We see which way the migrations flow.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:12 am

pietillidie wrote:
think positive wrote:
\September 11 really! Your going to blame that on the yanks! How $£$%^%%$ dare you.

Oi, read that bit again! You're confusing that cognitive map with the list of dubious interventions above it! The cognitive map is an example list of historical markers which make people feel good and/or elicit sympathy! Wink You owe me a beer, which I then have to forward to Mugwump for erroneously claiming he supported the Iraq War! Cool

Yeah, I don't think that was what PTID meant, TP. he was rightly saying that Sep 11 rightly elicits some sympathy and positive feeling for America.

PTID, I can agree with some of what you wrote above. Nations are not moral agents like people. but unlike you, perhaps, I do think that their history expresses a set of broad values, which may be more or less benign.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:59 am

You're nothing if not predictable, Mugwump. Wink I was simply pointing out that, really, any major power being in charge of the UN human rights commission is probably going to be worthy of a few raised eyebrows, and that America is no exception. And neither is Australia, for that matter.

Perhaps Nepal, the Netherlands and Finland ought to have it on rotation. Razz

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:54 am

David wrote:
I was simply pointing out that, really, any major power being in charge of the UN human rights commission is probably going to be worthy of a few raised eyebrows, and that America is no exception. And neither is Australia, for that matter.

Well, perhaps - but you actually wrote "having America or one of its close allies (like us) in charge wouldn't be much better" (than Saudi Arabia). That's rather different to " a raised eyebrow". As you expressed it above, however, I'm on board.

Sorry to be predictable, but it is a bit like moving the ocean with a shovel, sometimes. Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:58 pm

Saudi Arabia executes 47 people including an influential Shiite cleric! Iran and Lebanon have been the most vocal in their condemnations.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35213244

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-03/saudi-execution-of-shiite-cleric-nimr-al-nimr-sparks-outrage/7064802

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:31 pm

This is pretty depressing news, given that ending the civil war in Syria is virtually impossible without effective negotiation between Iran and Saudi Arabia. An outrageous act on the part of the Saudi government, and just a huge setback to peace in general.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:56 pm

There's also the proxy war in Yemen between Saudi and Iran.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Mugwump wrote:
think positive wrote:

Indeed, TP. One thing I'll never understand about the "intellectual Left" is their ability to live under the benevolent protection of the democracies, free to say what they think without fear of persecution or oppression, and then shamelessly spend their entire time trying to destroy, deny and denigrate them. The old Left, for which I still have great sympathy, was born of altruism and personal interest. It wanted a better economic deal for those at the bottom of the heap, and the right to rise within it - a very worthy and honourable ambition.

My hypothesis is that many of the New Left - being children of the narcissistic, self-seeking sixties - can only prove themselves superior to the system that bred them by damning it and undermining it. With most of their basic material wants and security satisfied by the society they are lucky enough to inhabit, they are consumers of the illusion of personal virtue.

Over the last 80 years we have seen Nazism, Sovietism, Theocracy, Military dictatorship - or the continuation of 200 years-plus of developing democracy, personal liberty, and constitutional law. We see which way the migrations flow.

i missed this, great post

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Not looking good:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/03/saudi-arabia-cuts-diplomatic-ties-with-iran-after-nimr-execution

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:51 pm

Sunni-Shia relations are going to take a massive blow now.

Considering much of the conflicts in the Middle East are centered around this schism I can't see any peace in the region any time soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: