Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Varcoe: I'm a convert

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the NAB Cup and season pretty soft I thought (and I was critical of him), but he has really toughened up in the last month or so winning some inside ball (wasn't really expecting that) and showing some class with his disposal. My only remaining criticism is that he tends to bump players rather than tackle. He is the poster boy for our tackle effectiveness (sticking tackles and bringing player to ground) being a bit off the last two weeks.

Anyway, I am happy to say that I was wrong about him and he has shown an ability to be a clear best 22 player and he is in an age/experience bracket we are lacking.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:02 pm

Hes been terrific, a real leader, great player all round, never gives up.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
rad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:12 pm

I for one was happy we recruited him but not what he has been providing.

As in earlier posts I believe we need the aboriginal magic like Krak and Leon brought. I thought Varcoe could be on the end of our grunt work and add polish to the end product. Even thought he'd go missing in the tough games but still though he'd help us win against the teams we should beat.

Boy was I wrong. He is the one doing the heavy lifting, crashing packs and adding the flair I hoped for. He has a wining rate of 80% in his career, he isn't used to losing.

I still believe we are one aboriginal player short as a forward pocket to crumb off Cloke, Moore and dare I say White. Bring that magic that we've had at the pies fir a while but are now missing. Last night we got beat by Rioli kicking 5, I would love his type even if we got 3 goals out of him. We should have gone for Eddie Betts.
rad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:12 pm

As in earlier posts I believe we need the aboriginal magic like Krak and Leon brought. I thought Varcoe could be on the end of our grunt work and add polish to the end product. Even thought he'd go missing in the tough games but still though he'd help us win against the teams we should beat.

Boy was I wrong. He is the one doing the heavy lifting, crashing packs and adding the flair I hoped for. He has a wining rate of 80% in his career, he isn't used to losing.

I still believe we are one aboriginal player short as a forward pocket to crumb off Cloke, Moore and dare I say White. Bring that magic that we've had at the pies fir a while but are now missing. Last night we got beat by Rioli kicking 5, I would love his type even if we got 3 goals out of him. We should have gone for Eddie Betts.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 pm

I think I read in the age last week that he is having career best stats this season.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:15 pm

rad wrote:

I did not know it is one doing the heavy lifting crashing packs and adding the flair he or she hoped for .
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:17 pm

I really thought he was a downgrade on H and would be another soft outside receiver with half decent skills who would need the pill presented to him on a platter.

Guess I was rrrr rrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrr

I'm very happily surprised at how he's played and very happy with the deal.

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:23 pm

He really is a very clever player, fantastic pick up. Becoming one of my absolute favourites. Report will be thrown out and we'll see him do it all again next week.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:31 pm

Varcoe is a big time, big game player. Can't wait to see him turn it on in the finals.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:57 pm

Travis has played some top games for us this year! Just to add, reads the play so well and and his speed at times surprises! There was a play in a recent game, were the opposition outnumbered us and a goal was on the cards for the opposion. Travis just come out of nowere (unfortunately I'ts difficult to get to a game from where I'm at) on the box and like a Falcon took the pill from two players then calmly set up a counter attack. He is becoming one of my favourite players! Very Happy
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:40 pm

woftam wrote:
I'm with the OP. Didn't see the sense in recruiting him. But he has been better than I thought he would be. Even inspiring some of the youngsters with his 2nd & 3rd efforts.

Going to get crowded on this bus.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Loving his work ethic and commitment to the contest. Even Lingy is flabbergasted by his performances for us because he claims he never saw it at geelong. I wonder why? Different role? 2nd chance or someone (Buck's) believing in him and encouraging to be himself and play his own game. Sometimes a change of scenery works for a player. Either way he must be close to the recruit of the year.

He tackles hard and forces turnovers. Even makes 2nd and 3rd efforts which was evident last night against the whorks. That sort of thing inspires and lifts your team mates. If we could get him to hit the scoreboard more with a couple of goals a game then he'd be complete.

I just wish channel bruce would shut up about that 'great game' he played in that grand final 4 years ago against us. They must have mentioned it at least 3 times already.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:52 pm

jackcass wrote:
woftam wrote:
I'm with the OP. Didn't see the sense in recruiting him. But he has been better than I thought he would be. Even inspiring some of the youngsters with his 2nd & 3rd efforts.

Going to get crowded on this bus.

always hard to know how many passengers will jump off before the end.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:11 pm

I wonder if we could turn his former Geelong mate in Motlop around in a similar fashion?

How about Yarran?

Watching Varcoe last night as well as Rioli we could do with another quality Aboriginal player with talent.

They just add something different.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:15 pm

^ motlop, yep. we need more collingwood six footers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: