Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^and discover he is not a doctor - presumably a nurse Wink

Wonder why he didn't join an organisation such as Médecins Sans Frontières who are ""operating medical facilities inside Syria, as well as supporting directly more than 100 clinics, health posts and field hospitals. Médecins Sans Frontières is also working with patients from Syria who have fled to Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq"

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 6:47 pm

David wrote:
If you read the article, he didn't join ISIS. The town he was in got captured.
As soon as Rob Stary is involved I take what any of his criminal clients say with a grain of salt. The best criminal lawyer money can buy.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:51 am

Morrigu wrote:
Wonder why he didn't join an organisation such as Médecins Sans Frontières who are ""operating medical facilities inside Syria, as well as supporting directly more than 100 clinics, health posts and field hospitals. Médecins Sans Frontières is also working with patients from Syria who have fled to Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq"

That's the million dollar question that most people would naturally be asking Morrigu.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:20 am

^ I could imagine plenty of reasons why a medic might not want to join that or any other registered organisation. Perhaps he didn't agree with the way it was run, or perhaps he wanted to work independent of bureaucracy. I don't see his choice to not work with them as some kind of smoking gun, and it certainly doesn't remove any legitimacy from what he was doing.

FFS, since when does an individual travelling to a war zone off their own bat to help the sick and injured have to justify their actions? How many lives did he help save while he was over there?

Unless there's suspicion that he was actually fighting for ISIS or aiding their cause in some meaningful way, give him a medal and leave him alone.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:36 am

Well there's the whole giving aid and comfort to the enemy thing. You know, treason.

Apart from that little chestnut, sure no worries at all.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:04 am

What is Australia's official legislation concerning these things? Presumably these groups fall under some terrorist organisation list which we're officially at "war" with (whatever that means by now). I'd love to see the list given no one knows what the hell is going on and which "side" we're supporting in which particular place.

"Sorry, pal. We're only working with Al Qaeda against ISIS to stop people being killed and raped by them on that side of the river. That makes you a terrorist."

"Yes, but I saved the lives of 23 children and lost right my arm in the process."

"Wrong side of the river, buddy."

"But I don't follow al Qaeda. They just control the village my father grew up in and force the people to give them supplies. Everyone here hates them."

"River. Wrong. Side."

Brandis has been running round like a headless chook trying to keep abreast of these things; it would be interesting to know how he's managed to cover everything given the 789 splinter groups that may or may not be affiliated with some officially evil menace in some particular place the Coalition of Unknown Status we may or may not be a part of is fighting.

I'm sure these things have been discussed in dribs and drabs, but it would be worth looking where things stand overall now.

Imagine the ridiculous farce it would really be if you had the time to dig into their knowledge of these regions Rolling Eyes

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:50 am

ISIS captures the ancient city of Palmyra in Syria which is now under threat from seeing ancient artefacts systematically destroyed by the group and in the process it apparently "controls 50% of Syria" according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights which are worrying signs for the nation as a whole.

Quote:
Isis 'controls 50% of Syria' after seizing historic city of Palmyra

Islamic State is thought to be holding sway over half of Syria’s landmass after its seizure of Palmyra, where it has reportedly begun massacring a rebellious tribe and faces no opposition to sacking the city’s ancient ruins.

“There are no forces to stop them [entering the ruins],” Rami Abdurrahman, director of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, said. “But the important thing also is they now control 50% of Syria.”

Isis seized Palmyra on Wednesday night after a week-long siege that led to the collapse of forces loyal to Bashar al-Assad. The militants are drawing closer to his strongholds of Homs and Damascus and are severing supply lines to Deir Ezzor in the east, which faces an overpowering Isis crackdown.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/21/isis-palmyra-syria-islamic-state

Last edited by Jezza on Fri May 22, 2015 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:53 am

pietillidie wrote:
What is Australia's official legislation concerning these things? Presumably these groups fall under some terrorist organisation list which we're officially at "war" with (whatever that means by now). I'd love to see the list given no one knows what the hell is going on and which "side" we're supporting in which particular place.

The link below shows listed terrorist organisations inserted under the Criminal Code Act 1995. This might prove to be helpful PTID.

http://www.nationalsecurity.gov.au/Listedterroristorganisations/Pages/default.aspx

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:08 am

Wokko wrote:
Well there's the whole giving aid and comfort to the enemy thing. You know, treason.

Treason? Laughing

I'm pretty sure medics treating enemy soldiers in Vietnam War POW camps weren't considered to have betrayed their country. But even if this guy was putting a band-aid on the finger of ISIS's self-proclaimed Caliph he'd hardly qualify as an enemy combatant. Are our jails so empty that we need to throw naughty nurses in there?

As John McEnroe would say...

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:23 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Treason? Laughing

I'm pretty sure medics treating enemy soldiers in Vietnam War POW camps weren't considered to have betrayed their country. But even if this guy was putting a band-aid on the finger of ISIS's self-proclaimed Caliph he'd hardly qualify as an enemy combatant. Are our jails so empty that we need to throw naughty nurses in there?

As John McEnroe would say...

You mean those guys who were starved, tortured or shot if they didn't comply? Hmmm I see the comparison

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 am

^ And that was just the ones the Americans ran! (Jokes, I really don't know.)

Seriously, whatever the cruelty inflicted in some of these places, there have obviously been plenty of Prisoner-of-War camps over the last century or so where injured enemy combatants were treated.

I just find it mind-boggling that anyone could consider the provision of medical services—pretty much in any context—to be treasonous, or something that should ever be punishable by law. It's crazy.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:20 pm

David wrote:
^ And that was just the ones the Americans ran! (Jokes, I really don't know.)

Seriously, whatever the cruelty inflicted in some of these places, there have obviously been plenty of Prisoner-of-War camps over the last century or so where injured enemy combatants were treated.

I just find it mind-boggling that anyone could consider the provision of medical services—pretty much in any context—to be treasonous, or something that should ever be punishable by law. It's crazy.
gees did you not watch any of the Vietnam war docos? How about movies? Changi (Japanese) made Guatemala look like a holiday camp. No of course it doesn't make it right. But you can't make the comparison that you did.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:23 pm

Changi was WW2, not Vietnam, but I get your point. Even in those places, though, I'm not 100% sure that the injured weren't treated. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(And I think you mean Guantanamo, unless there's a major Central American war I'm unfamiliar with!)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 pm

David wrote:
Changi was WW2, not Vietnam, but I get your point. Even in those places, though, I'm not 100% sure that the injured weren't treated. Correct me if I'm wrong.

(And I think you mean Guantanamo, unless there's a major Central American war I'm unfamiliar with!)

eh, i let my ipad guess as i have no idea how to spell it. and youll note i said japanese!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:11 pm

^ Yeah, sorry, I did notice that in hindsight. But I still want to know when and how treating sick or injured people should be considered illegal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 102 of 128   

Jump to: