Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Which completely contradicts the post you just "bravoed".

I don't think I'm the one who's confused here. Confused

No it doesn't and yes you are.

Simple. Smile

OK, perhaps you can explain to me how these two statements are not contradictory.

thebaldfacts wrote:
Can we just leave it at the murder of innocents is always an atrocity and don't try to qualify it in any way

think positive wrote:
Of course intent s worse

And yes there's degrees of bad

Gees common sense says that

I agree with think positive Mark II, by the way.

Confirmation bias means you get the result you want.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:04 pm

I have no idea what that sentence means! I've read it five times! Dumb it down for me please. Way down! I just watched housewives of Melbourne, my brain cells went to mush (hey there were three hunky male strippers on!)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:15 pm

I didn't think this thread could get any dumber, but by all means, give it a shot.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:03 am

This thread has lost the plot with constant tit-for-tat arguing so here's my best attempt to get back it on track in discussing "ISIS" which is after all the name of the thread Razz.

In regards to the ongoing battle to reclaim Tikrit from ISIS this has been proven to be successful for the allied forces as the last remaining fighters for ISIS have been cleared away from the town now which means Tikrit has been liberated from ISIS. However further issues about Shia militias looting has arisen now and many militias have pulled out of Tikrit after complaints from the Sunni-majority locals.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32181503
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/04/shiite-militias-tikrit-pull-out_n_7004366.html

On other ISIS-related news, is this actually for real? A deadly disease might ultimately be ISIS' undoing especially with Syria's healthcare system collapsing as a result of the ongoing civil war.

http://www.pakistantribe.com/story/37717/isis-militants-are-in-danger-by-a-deadly-disease/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 am

One of the drawbacks of the foreign fighter legislation: people going over to fight against ISIS risk being imprisoned.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/apr/05/former-labor-official-suspected-of-fighting-against-islamic-state-detained

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:11 am

Yes but the amount of enemies ISIS has is very high and varies from moderate to extremist groups within Syria and Iraq! It ranges from so-called 'moderate' groups like the Kurdish forces to very hard-line Islamic fundamentalist groups like Al-Qaeda and Al-Nusra Front for example.

Surely Gardiner was aware of the repercussions that were facing him upon his return to Australia when he decided to go Syria to fight against ISIS?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:39 am

Surely no worse than the immediate risks he faced by going over there in the first place.

I can't help but respect that kind of courage, to be honest. Whatever Brandis says, he was pretty clearly doing the right thing. One extra soldier for the Kurds in their battle against genocidal extremists doesn't hurt.

Beyond the fact that this is the law, why should he (or anyone else who goes over to fight against ISIS) be punished?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:44 am

David wrote:
Surely no worse than the immediate risks he faced by going over there in the first place.

I can't help but respect that kind of courage, to be honest. Whatever Brandis says, he was pretty clearly doing the right thing. One extra soldier for the Kurds in their battle against genocidal extremists doesn't hurt.

Beyond the fact that this is the law, why should he (or anyone else who goes over to fight against ISIS) be punished?

I see your point David but would it be any different if someone from Australia went over to fight with Al-Nusra Front or a Shia militia group against ISIS? These groups are considered far more radical than most Kurdish forces (which Gardiner was fighting with) are from a Western perspective.

Would you prefer to see cases like this be determined on a case-by-case basis rather than lumping them all into one category of if you fight in Syria you're going to be prosecuted and detained for a certain amount of time regardless of who you may be fighting whether that's with ISIS or against them?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:00 am

The first option, definitely. Although I should point out that I find the entire idea of this "foreign fighters" bill fundamentally flawed. It really only seems defensible when we're talking about actions that are clearly contrary to the national interest (like, say, fighting in direct combat against Australian soldiers—but even then, this can be a grey area), or perhaps if the individual is involved in war crimes (in which case they could be extradited to the country where the offences took place and sentenced there).

Fighting for an "extremist" group isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's when the extremism is translated into actions that it becomes a problem.

So, ideally, rather than allowing for defences from prosecution on a case-by-case basis, I'd rather that the prosecutions themselves were conducted on a case-by-case basis—only when, say, grievous acts had been committed (and the law could be written accordingly). But if we had to have this law, I would have preferred a lot more nuance than was offered by the government when the bill was passed last year. It's a blunt response to a very complex issue.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 am

An ISIS inspired terror Plot foiled this morning in Melbourne. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/melbourne-terror-plot-raids-live-coverage/story-fni0fee2-1227309151268

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/radical-islamic-group-inside-the-world-of-radical-group-alfurqan/story-fni0fit3-1227069635938

Al-Furqan preaches death to non Muslims.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:45 pm

Culprit wrote:
An ISIS inspired terror Plot foiled this morning in Melbourne. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/melbourne-terror-plot-raids-live-coverage/story-fni0fee2-1227309151268

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/radical-islamic-group-inside-the-world-of-radical-group-alfurqan/story-fni0fit3-1227069635938

No it can't even true, they're such a peaceful bunch. Why would they do this, they are the "religion of peace" after all? So over everyone protecting these people instead of calling them out for what they are.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:54 pm

What happened to your ANZAC spirit? The cops have to wait for 'evidence' - you don't. You know where the shop is.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:55 pm

.. and with that I'll expect a call from ASIO in the coming days.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:00 pm

schuey07 wrote:
Culprit wrote:

No it can't even true, they're such a peaceful bunch. Why would they do this, they are the "religion of peace" after all? So over everyone protecting these people instead of calling them out for what they are.

Careful, the King of the Usual Apologists will be along with his usual stock standard response to the truth.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:46 am

Another day and more senseless killing from these barbaric animals!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/19/isis-video-purports-to-show-massacre-of-two-groups-of-ethiopian-christians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 93 of 128   

Jump to: