Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Joffa -- The Autobiography

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
I don't understand why you are seeking donations in this fashion. Aren't publishers supposed to take on the financial risk of producing books themselves? Are you a business, or a charity?

I mean, I'll buy it when it comes out, maybe, but ..

They're not donations; they're pledges, with pledges correlating with certain rewards. A lot of projects nowadays (as RonRat has pointed out) launch crowdfunding campaigns.

The campaign is not covering every financial aspect of the book's production -- nowhere near it, in fact. But we're not Penguin, or PanMac, or A&U, etc. We're a tiny publisher, so every bit helps.
Rowey 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Sorry Sly, but if your skills with grammar (especially overuse of commas) are any indication of your editorial skills, the publication will be a train wreck.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:40 pm

This isn't going well is it? Confused
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:37 am

RudeBoy wrote:

We'll according to the Pozible page, the required amount in pledges as been received, so that's not bad.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:59 am

Glad to hear it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

We'll according to the Pozible page, the required amount in pledges as been received, so that's not bad.

$2000 might be a good start but they still have a long way to go.

Quote:
The total budget for this project is $15,400:
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:34 pm
Post subject: The launch.Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who supported us through this endeavour. We're currently finalising editing for the book and have booked in a launch date, which is Thursday, 11th June, 7.00pm at the Bella Union, Corner Lygon Street and Victoria Street, Carlton.

We also have a Facebook event, with all the details, which you can access here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/962980320393023/.

Here's a little extract from the book, which relates to Nick's:
Quote:
I think today they are much better, but about ten years ago they were a fair dinkum nightmare. Anything that encourages anonymity is asking for trouble. Nick’s Bulletin Board was a great avenue for me to discuss all things Collingwood: from Cheer Squad to gold wig to gold jacket, and the long, slow chant to the winners’ circle, including the Magpie army march from the Lexus Centre to the MCG. I loved Nick’s Bulletin Board. Back in the day Nick’s Board was a wonderful community of getting things done. Sadly, we have individuals in society who use such message boards to vent their own frustrations of life, and other posters who use message boards for the betterment of who they are. It’s very true to say that some very wonderful people use football message boards. I have made many friends but, sadly, like anything else in life, you tread warily and not let the little people get you down. Internet laws are in place now so lies and abuse associated with character assassination are long gone.

When I first used Nick’s Board, I used the name Magpie Joffa when posting topics and comments. I had a severe problem with that. I am Joffa Corfe, not Magpie Joffa. I hated posting and making comments using that name. I was intelligent enough to come to the sensible conclusion that if I was to make comment and opinions on other people and about my football club, I would do so under my real name.

I have loved every minute of my time using Nick’s Bulletin Board. These days I don’t give a fat rat’s clacker what other people say about me via football message boards, especially those small-minded people who don’t have the conviction to post comments using their real name. A big hello and thank you to Mike and Nick over in Tasmania – the founders of Nick’s Bulletin Board. The many things that the Collingwood army do today are a result of your passion for Collingwood and should be attributed to your wonderful hard work.

Thanks again, everybody, for your help and support!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Joffa wrote:
especially those small-minded people who don’t have the conviction to post comments using their real name.

Hardly seems fair. It's not about lack of conviction; people (actually, the vast majority of people on internet fora, including Joffa's publisher!) just feel a little more comfortable posting under a pseudonym. Why judge them for it?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Great Cause that Book Sales will go to
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:51 pm

IF the book is in his own words, not ghosted, id certainly read it for sure.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Darkstranger wrote:
Seriously really? No thanks.

I thought the same thing.

Nothing against him writing a book about his life and I dare say quite a few people would read it but It’s something I pass on.

Though I hope good money is made for Epilepsy Australia

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:39 pm
Post subject: HeyReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

Nothing against him writing a book about his life and I dare say quite a few people would read it but It’s something I pass on.

Why would you pass on it? He is a great bloke and a Collingwood legend. Sure I don't agree with everything he says, but I do admire the bloke. It is a pitty the Club have tried to muzzle him and the Cheer squad. And now look. I hope the book deals with the wrecking of our great club passion at the games by the corporate spin doctors. It needs to tell all. I will be buying it and all for a good cause as well.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

Why would you pass on it? He is a great bloke and a Collingwood legend. Sure I don't agree with everything he says, but I do admire the bloke. It is a pitty the Club have tried to muzzle him and the Cheer squad. And now look. I hope the book deals with the wrecking of our great club passion at the games by the corporate spin doctors. It needs to tell all. I will be buying it and all for a good cause as well.

I dare say he is a Okay Bloke but he is not even close to a Club Legend.

He is just a Supporter and IF he did not know Eddie. Then he be just like You and Me

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:47 pm
Post subject: Re: HeyReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

I dare say he is a Okay Bloke but he is not even close to a Club Legend.

He is just a Supporter and IF he did not know Eddie. Then he be just like You and Me

He is a Club Legend. On what basis do you deem someone a Club Legend? You don't have to necessarily have played to be a Club Legend. What about Ron Richards? Even Eddie? You don't think they are Club Legends? Gee at Footscray these days, you can be called a Club Legend if you take out Corporate Box Memberships. Lin Jong is already a Club Legend there. So I think Joffa qualifies after all the battles he has fought for our Club.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 pm

Good stuff, looking forward to having a read of the book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: