Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

ISIS

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the same as Canadia?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 pm

No, Canadians live in Canada whereas Canadans live in Canadia.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:15 am

David wrote:
I definitely agree that we should take their activities in Iraq and Syria seriously (and I'm a cautious supporter of Western intervention), but that's a long way from them being an existential threat to us. Frankly, I think people have grossly overestimated their abilities.

This is an interesting article on the (ongoing) IS attack on the Syrian town of Kobane, which is being defended pretty much single-handedly (and so far quite competently) by YPG Kurds:

http://pando.com/2014/10/16/the-war-nerd-nobody-could-have-predicted-islamic-states-retreat-from-kobane-except-me/

(Can't vouch for the accuracy of that piece, but the writer seems to be following the conflict more closely than most.)

Thanks for the article David! That was very interesting reading and an interesting interpretation of the events occurring in Iraq and Syria.

The Kurdish forces have always had a reputation of being strong and competent fighters so I'm not surprised by their ability to defend the Syrian Kurdish town of Kobani from the clutches of ISIS. Whether they'll be able to successfully defeat them in this rather small battle for the town remains to be seen. The author of this article has raised an interesting point about ISIS being an overhyped group and I tend to agree with him to a certain extent. They're struggling to seize Kobani and the only reason why they were able to seize Iraqi cities like Mosul and Tikrit successfully was because of the assistance of other Sunni militia groups such as the Islamic Army of Iraq, the Mujahideen Army and the 1920 Revolution Brigade in being able to exploit the sectarian problems that exist within Iraq so therefore it should be noted that ISIS wouldn't have been able to seize Mosul (the second biggest city in Iraq), Tikrit and other small Northern Iraqi towns without the assistance of other groups who align with them.

The problem with ISIS though is that they're very effective in their use of social media and the internet to spread their message to their supporters or those who are being radicalised by 'militant Islam' to support their cause and their methods to impose force on cities and people living within those cities. On top of that, ISIS is reportedly making $3,000,000 a day through the use of the black market to sell oil and gas resources and now they've imposed a religious tax on Christians who live under the control of 'Islamic State' now as well, so in this aspect I disagree with the author that they’re overhyped but in other areas I do agree with him though. Financially, ISIS is seen as more viable than Al-Qaeda is now so that’s something for many to think about now.

I'm not sure about this concept of 'existential threat' exactly. I interpret it as being a threat not in the sense that ISIS fighters will arrive in Australia and commit a large scale attack on Australians but more an attack in the sense that certain people sympathise with ISIS' cause of a worldwide Islamic caliphate and the fact that people from the Middle Eastern region have encouraged supporters in Western countries to commit attacks on civilians in these respective countries. The fact that we saw Canada become a victim of this yesterday and seeing the death of Lee Rigby last year in England would be concerning but I personally don't think we should be at a stage of mass panic and fear as we shouldn’t be reactionary to such events despite the frightening nature of them. We're a safe country with very good and competent security and I'm certain that any potential threats that may be carried out in Australia will be halted and prevented in the best way possible causing minimal or no damage whatsoever for potential victims of crime.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:41 am

This article lends weight to some of the arguments I've been making in this thread re: "foreign fighter" concerns.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/25/isis-threatens-kill-british-jihadis-wanting-to-come-home

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:57 am

This enlightening & fresh doco is on iView & was shown on the ABC - (yes folks the ones that the Jerks in Government what to rip the funding sh*t out of - but I digress). Shown on Saturday night I think.

I found it riveting TV:

http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/my-brother-the-terrorist/ZW0029A001S00

By the director (the brother of the UK convert who became an Islamic terrorist)
four days ago in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/22/brother-jihadi-terrorist-society-extremism

It also reminds me of the blur between truth & fiction, life & art as encapsulated in the brilliant 2010 UK film "The 4 Lions" tragic if it wasn't so serious, and this is not to make light of the situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew-SrlQ9tlI

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Lets just rip up all the laws that we believe make our Society better while we are at it. No rules or laws and no consequences for anyone.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Yes, let's do that. All the anarchists in this thread say "yeah!".

Anyone?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:27 pm

David wrote:
This article lends weight to some of the arguments I've been making in this thread re: "foreign fighter" concerns.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/25/isis-threatens-kill-british-jihadis-wanting-to-come-home

Ummmm what?

Some of the people who went over to fight but not for ISIS and got embroiled by them are now stuck and can't get out? What was your point?

Anyway, some good news on the IS front.

Quote:
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi proclaimed Islamic State (IS) as a Muslim caliphate on June 29, 2014, with himself as caliph, a term reserved for a successor to the prophet Muhammad (PBUH). His would be the newest caliphate in a line extending from the Rashidun Caliphate (632-661), through the Umayyads (661-750), Abbasids (750-1517) and Ottomans (1453-1924). Each of these earlier caliphates, however, had a feature that IS lacks and which may not even be possible for the newly proclaimed “state”.

That feature boys and girls, particularly boys, and particularly boys thinking of travelling over there to fight is................[drum roll].......................EUNUCHS.

Lots of Eunuchs.

That's blokes who have had their nads removed. The unkindest cut of all, the big snip, the 1 way ticket to singing soprano in the choir.

http://theconversation.com/islamic-state-lacks-key-ingredient-to-make-caliphate-work-eunuchs-32729

hey boys, they gonna cut your nuts off.

Now, lets back track on those 72 virgins. So you get yourself killed in the name of Allah you have 72 virgins waiting for you, and you have no balls. Sucked in.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Ummmm what?

Some of the people who went over to fight but not for ISIS and got embroiled by them are now stuck and can't get out? What was your point?

Anyway, some good news on the IS front.

Quote:
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi proclaimed Islamic State (IS) as a Muslim caliphate on June 29, 2014, with himself as caliph, a term reserved for a successor to the prophet Muhammad (PBUH). His would be the newest caliphate in a line extending from the Rashidun Caliphate (632-661), through the Umayyads (661-750), Abbasids (750-1517) and Ottomans (1453-1924). Each of these earlier caliphates, however, had a feature that IS lacks and which may not even be possible for the newly proclaimed “state”.

That feature boys and girls, particularly boys, and particularly boys thinking of travelling over there to fight is................[drum roll].......................EUNUCHS.

Lots of Eunuchs.

That's blokes who have had their nads removed. The unkindest cut of all, the big snip, the 1 way ticket to singing soprano in the choir.

http://theconversation.com/islamic-state-lacks-key-ingredient-to-make-caliphate-work-eunuchs-32729

Now, lets back track on those 72 virgins. So you get yourself killed in the name of Allah you have 72 virgins waiting for you, and you have no balls. Sucked in.

somebody really should blow them all up

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:01 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Ummmm what?

That the thousands (sorry, hundreds; sorry, tens) of people jetting off from Australia to fight for ISIS are not coming back any time soon—at least, not to fight. Far from being radicalised, it seems they're becoming disillusioned or simply killed.

So, where exactly is the national emergency that's requiring all these harsh anti-terrorism measures?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Ummmm what?

That the thousands (sorry, hundreds; sorry, tens) of people jetting off from Australia to fight for ISIS are not coming back any time soon—at least, not to fight. Far from being radicalised, it seems they're becoming disillusioned or simply killed.

So, where exactly is the national emergency that's requiring all these harsh anti-terrorism measures?

hopefully still holed up in Coburg!! Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Who are you talking about specifically?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:27 am

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:

Lots of Eunuchs.

I've read the article you've linked and I thought the 'Islamic State's' unofficial capital was Raqqa in Syria as that's where they seem most prominent at the present time.

Unless the article is inferring that it's unofficial rather than 'official' so to speak so maybe that's the distinction that needs to be made here. Nevertheless IS will struggle to hold its territory in my opinion as it's got ongoing problems fighting opposing forces and militia groups.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:03 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Ummmm what?

I seriously hope for your sake that you never experience the reason why.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:41 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/27/isis-john-cantlie-video-battle-kobani-islamic-state

More propaganda by ISIS by using a British hostage to convince its viewers that ISIS nearly has Kobani under control contrary to reports from valid news sources in the past week or two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 126, 127, 128  Next
Page 25 of 128   

Jump to: