Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Caringbush?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 1999 3:14 pm
Post subject: Caringbush?Reply with quote

I received the following email today and I don't know the answer. Can anyone help?
quote:
Hi Nick,

I often hear Collingwood referred to as the Caringbush. What does this mean?

--
Good Old Collingwood Forever......

Go 'Pies
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 1999 4:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's from a novel written by Frank Hardy (who was a Fitzroy fan, I believe). It's allegedly based upon the life of John Wren, Collingwood fan from way back, and well known Melbourne identity. It basically tells the story of his (or similar totally fictional person) rise from the slums of Colingwood to lots of money etc.. I don't know if his sons/grandsons are still patrons of the club. They were a few years age. Hardy was sued by Wren's widow when the book was first published in 1955 (two years ater he died in 1953)claiming the book slandered her and her husband over alleged marital infidelities, I think. Hardy won the case and the book was made into an ABC TV series in the mid 70's, causing a mini revival of the term Carringbush. (This is probably where Rex Hunt picked it up as he does not seem the type to wade through 500 pages of the book)
You'd probably pick up a copy of the book at an op shop or 2nd hand book store.
Broadie 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 5:42 am

Actually, Rex probably heard the name from the pub - the Caringbush Hotel - in Collingwood.

I don't know if it existed before the Hardy novel or was named afterwards.
Pugsville 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 6:22 am

John Wren was a major historical figure and personality. Important both to the collingwood football club and melbourne. I remember reading that he was a promising underage footballer. He purseued "business" interests (SP-Bookmaking & others) and was very sucessulfull and became quite a powerful and influencial figure. He was reputated to be the the collingwood rooms after the game shaking players hands a way of distributing money to them in apprication of a good game. I haven't managed to get through Hardy's book but I feel ready for another try. JOhn Wren is a interesting figure, ( he used to own the ivanhoe hotel which is why it is called "the tote")

pugs

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 1999 10:10 pm

this has caused a few rusty cogs in the bowel of my mind to rotate ever so slighlty. Wrens original tote was at 136 Johnston ST. Last time I was in oz, which is a few years ago now, the building was still standing, although it looked in as good as nick as Lee Walkers knees. Something to think about on your next journey down Johnston Street.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 3:27 am

Just to add some more trivial stuff to this thread, the florist on the corner of Johnston Street and Hoddle Street (closed a few years ago now)was called the Caringbush Florist, good to see local business picking up on the mystique.....also good to see that the old John Barleycorn hotel on the other side of Hoddle has again reverted to its original name. Maybe Len Thompson has bought it back with all his memorabilia earnings.

------------------
Damien
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 10:54 am

went past the Tote on Saturday night (didn't know its history then, I am just the sort of fellow who mentally notes each pub he sees), it had a new coat of paint so I guess it has been refurbished inside too. I doubt whether they would have much of the old Caringbush clientele in there now.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 1999 3:50 pm

I've heard tha the Lemonheads song - "Its a shame about Ray' is about a guy who used to work at the Tote behind the bar.
Mich@el Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 1999 9:13 pm

Really?
Wow, the Lemonheads are a very good band!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: