Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdpie1970 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Staunton wrote:
jdpie1970 wrote:
A little birdie just flew past my window and whistled 5 Yrs, $4.3 mill reasons that he was taking his colourful plumage and flying north. I am now even more interested to see the Copeland speech given by Dayne. How sincere will he be ?

To be honest with you, I'd be surprised if anyone could genuinely now say a player would turn down that kind of money out of "loyalty"

The draft assigns you a club, and off you go (unless you are Irish, American or win the Recruit")

Like they say in America, we're really supporting laundry now.

Swings and roundabouts - we picked up Luke Ball, we lose Dayne Beams.

The club moves on - I agree it ends up being a terrible look for us as players move out (and I've said enough about you know who) but the only response as a club is to dispassionately get the best deal for ourselves and move on.

My 15 year old son had 5 minutes of "Beams departure anguish" and has since created several hundred proposed trades including a 12 team "mega deal" and
restructured our TPP to enable us to get the trilogy from Adelaide at the end of 2015. I am still going through the 3rd stage of loss. How things change.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:21 pm

jdpie1970 wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
jdpie1970 wrote:
A little birdie just flew past my window and whistled 5 Yrs, $4.3 mill reasons that he was taking his colourful plumage and flying north. I am now even more interested to see the Copeland speech given by Dayne. How sincere will he be ?

To be honest with you, I'd be surprised if anyone could genuinely now say a player would turn down that kind of money out of "loyalty"

The draft assigns you a club, and off you go (unless you are Irish, American or win the Recruit")

The club moves on - I agree it ends up being a terrible look for us as players move out (and I've said enough about you know who) but the only response as a club is to dispassionately get the best deal for ourselves and move on.

My 15 year old son had 5 minutes of "Beams departure anguish" and has since created several hundred proposed trades including a 12 team "mega deal" and
restructured our TPP to enable us to get the trilogy from Adelaide at the end of 2015. I am still going through the 3rd stage of loss. How things change.

get your son to send through his dossier to derekh@.....

i'm curious to know how 12 clubs could be involved in his proposed trade of beams.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:24 pm

My take on loyalty, free agency and what I get off this board...

(Beams situation, with his dad will not be used in this context).

EFF YOU! YOUWANT TO LEAVE COLLINGWOOD, YOU ARE NOTHING BUT SCUM... PLAY FOR COLLINGWOOD BECOME SOMETHING!

Why are players not loyal anymore! What happened to loyalty! The rest of our players, like Cloke and Swan are Loyal.

Wait!!! if X goes or is traded then we have y in the salary cap!

QUICK TRADE CLOKE, SWAN TO BRISBANE FOR PICK 4 AND THEN REID TO SYDNEY FOR FRANKLIN THEN MAXWELL TO WCE FOR SOMEBODY!!!

What a team we will have then! Quick trade them out!

Conclusion:
Loyalty amongst players and fans is almost dead.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 pm

Thinking with the Gold Coast announcement today, what about Beams for pick 7 or 14 and G Ablett? Would Gary have three or four years in him? If so hopefully by then Freeman and the mid we choose with pick 7 or 14 are killing it.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:58 pm

jdpie1970 wrote:

If it was just about money, he would be taking the $600,000 or so he will be earning at Collingwood next year, and move to Brisbane at the end of next year when his current contract expires. The reason he wants to go early is his father's illness and wanting to play with his brother. Can't blame Beams for that.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:57 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
jdpie1970 wrote:

If it was just about money, he would be taking the $600,000 or so he will be earning at Collingwood next year, and move to Brisbane at the end of next year when his current contract expires. The reason he wants to go early is his father's illness and wanting to play with his brother. Can't blame Beams for that.

Exactly- Beams would be on near enough to that had he stayed here-

he was pursued like crazy by brisbane and GC when last out of contract- and chose to stay with pies for much less.

WIth swanny finishing up and senior players moved on- we have plenty of room in the salary cap- do not listen to rumour mongers like Barrett.

Clearly there are a few issues here:

First and foremost it is his dad- I do not believe anyone is that low as to use this as a bullshit excuse to leave a club.

He may be pissed off his mates aren't there any more- but boo hoo.

WOuld love him to stay- and will wish him well- but geez it will hurt watching him destroy us.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:04 pm

jdpie1970 wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
jdpie1970 wrote:

Oh I've still got over my Nick Davis hatred

It's just the way it is these days

Once the decision is made, the club has to make its own tough decisions - but at the same time, players are always going to chase the cash when its a system that doesn't let them pick their club in the first place. I will boo the hell of out Beams for leaving us because that's what fans do, but it's the system, I guess I'm used to it by now - it just doesn't surprise me.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
jdpie1970 wrote:

Clubs show no loyalty to players so I fail to see why players should be loyal to clubs. Get used to it. All professional sports are now about trades. The best traders win the most championships.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:00 am

I'm never getting on board the 'that's just how it is' bandwagon.

It doesn't have to be like this, we got along perfectly well without free-agency and we don't need it now. The players may like the idea of an unexpected payday but it's damaging to the clubs and therefore to the fabric of the comp.

The blokes moving aren't unhappy fringe players looking for a chance to ply their trade, it's Ablett, Beams, Thomas, Franklin, Tippet - franchise players that clubs can build a decade around. The sort of players that bring, and keep, supporters attached to a club.

Even worse is that free agency has led to a situation where even contracted players are not off-limits, Brisbane offers Beams a truck load of money and, even though he's contracted, he's off - to the club of his choice and they get to dictate terms. What contract?

This will only snowball and we'll all shrug and say 'that's how it is in America' but guess what? I don't give a flying f&*ck what the Americans do.

The AFL can scratch it's head and wonder why crowds are dropping. A bit of it is expense, a bit is scheduling, a bit umpiring, but I'm beginning to suspect that all of these changes are breaking the connection supporters have to players and then, subsequently, the the clubs themselves.

The game is losing it's identity. We should fear the day that supporters stop caring when great players leave, not embrace it.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:14 am

Redlight wrote:
I'm never getting on board the 'that's just how it is' bandwagon.

It doesn't have to be like this, we got along perfectly well without free-agency and we don't need it now. The players may like the idea of an unexpected payday but it's damaging to the clubs and therefore to the fabric of the comp.

The blokes moving aren't unhappy fringe players looking for a chance to ply their trade, it's Ablett, Beams, Thomas, Franklin, Tippet - franchise players that clubs can build a decade around. The sort of players that bring, and keep, supporters attached to a club.

Even worse is that free agency has led to a situation where even contracted players are not off-limits, Brisbane offers Beams a truck load of money and, even though he's contracted, he's off - to the club of his choice and they get to dictate terms. What contract?

This will only snowball and we'll all shrug and say 'that's how it is in America' but guess what? I don't give a flying f&*ck what the Americans do.

The AFL can scratch it's head and wonder why crowds are dropping. A bit of it is expense, a bit is scheduling, a bit umpiring, but I'm beginning to suspect that all of these changes are breaking the connection supporters have to players and then, subsequently, the the clubs themselves.

The game is losing it's identity. We should fear the day that supporters stop caring when great players leave, not embrace it.

I don't disagree with people who feel like that - my points are this: firstly, we have a draft, so players don't get to pick where they play, so you are immediately behind the 8 ball when it comes to engendering loyalty. Pendles could be a hated Hawk, Swanny a Saint...and so on.

Secondly if Dayne Beams doesn't want to be there, we owe it to ourselves to be ruthless and get the best deal - if Dayne doesn't like it, tough. We need to look after ourselves. Finally, I absolutely love Luke Ball, but he left his club and came to us. Those connections can still be built - and I say this as someone who loves the 2010 Premiership team to death.

Soon as the club flicks Sharrod Wellingham with a flea in his ear from Gary Pert, the players are entitled to wonder what happened to loyalty. This is the modern era - I'll boo Dayne Beams out of the building next year, but I understand it. And we have to get absolutely ruthless (like Hawthorn) if this is how it is...

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:23 am

jdpie1970 wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
jdpie1970 wrote:

Love it!!

I'd forgotten my Elizabeth Kubler-Ross (read a book of hers in 1978 FFS):

Denial
Anger
??Bargaining??
Depression
Acceptance

Had to look it up!!

I'm vacillating between 1st, 2nd & 3rd at different times Wink

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:17 am

Malthouse reckons free agency could destroy the very fabric of the League, cos stars will quit lower clubs and go to strong one. I don't often agree with the old bloke these days, perish the thought, but he does have a point, guess hes pissed off with waite bigtime.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:23 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Malthouse reckons free agency could destroy the very fabric of the League, cos stars will quit lower clubs and go to strong one. I don't often agree with the old bloke these days, perish the thought, but he does have a point, guess hes pissed off with waite bigtime.

As opposed to bitter old coaches who quit strong clubs to go to lower ones?

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:58 am

People should just grow up and realise that the club is only made up of the players on their roster each year. Instead of this being a crisis, it should be an opportunity. If players are moving between clubs we should be aiming at getting the best at Collingwood. It's our fault if we don't because then we are paying too much for ordinary players and not enough for the great ones.

The AFL claims to be fully professional. Well, this last bastion of amateurism must go. Kids are drafted to clubs they don't even barrack for, to cities or states they'd rather not play in. They have no say in the matter. No wonder they welcome free trade with open arms. Players are not slaves. They are employees. They owe no loyalty to clubs because they know the moment Father Time catches up with them they'll be dumped like a sick dog. Just ask Brad Sewell (age 30!). How about someone ask Luke Ball or Heath Shaw about loyalty? (it works both ways).

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:17 am

The _Staunton wrote:
Soon as the club flicks Sharrod Wellingham with a flea in his ear from Gary Pert, the players are entitled to wonder what happened to loyalty. This is the modern era - I'll boo Dayne Beams out of the building next year, but I understand it. And we have to get absolutely ruthless (like Hawthorn) if this is how it is...

My thoughts exactly. I would ideally like a loyalty-based system too, but it cuts both ways. In a culture where clubs act ruthlessly, players are entitled to look out for their own interests.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 49 of 188   

Jump to: