Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Recreational cyclists

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
Oh god you can't call them that, the fattys will be up in arms

They can wave their tuckshop arms round all they like, I didn't name them. Razz

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:
Oh god you can't call them that, the fattys will be up in arms

They can wave their tuckshop arms round all they like, I didn't name them. Razz

Hahahahahahahah Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Fantastic morning for a bike ride. (Funny though, looks like there is no wind, yet you come up over a hill, and a cyclone seems to smack you in the face!)

So, do you nod, say hi, g'day, morning to other cyclists or walkers joggers?

I general say morning, or if I've beeped to get people off the park, sorry didn't want to scare you. Some people say morning or nod back, most I think.

The hard core cyclists, the young ones, not so much. The old dudes seem pretty friendly.

Is it snobbery or the cyclist variety? Is it my retro (ok 20 years ago my younger sister was chucking them out and I grabbed em) bike shorts? They are a bit bright. My standard Adidas running tv shirt, with no cycling shit on it. My red circle boutique helmet, or my rather bright flouro reeboks? (They are flat soles, good tread, and extra room in the toes, so your toes don't go to sleep, brilliant on a cross trainer) . Or maybe it's my generic aldi bike? I have good gloves. Cost more than the rest put together, got them for the warrior snow challenge.

Gees it must cost an absolute fortune for all that racing gear. The bike, the helmet, the gloves and those racing stripe pants and tops. Don't they get hot? Seriously I reckon your looking at a couple of grand! But still hello doesn't cost much!

I'm a pretty friendly $%$er at the worst of times, so maybe I'm overly sensitive! The guy in the Parka, hood up, helmet on top of it, I got no further down his body than that! Man what a sight. And it's hot out there. Sauna ride? He kinda snarled.

One guy had these white things sticking up all over his helmet, I'm guessing he's trying to contact mork, or maybe scare the magpies? He was a friendly soul, I reckon he got 5 sentences in whizzing past!

Then there is the we are gunna take up the whole footpath and you can hit the grass couple. Oh yeah there is always one. Guess they didn't see the while line and stick figures!

Don't you just love people watching!

Cheers

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:48 pm

I'm frankly too old to care!
When I get motivated to go for a ride, I just grab whatever's handy. T shirt, trackie pants tucked into sox, footy shorts, even jeans sometimes.
Yes the bicycle fashionistas are amusing...you'd reckon it was the Tour de France & not the Yarra Bike Trail. You should see the numbers who gather early morning in Bridge Rd. They have finished their dawn rides & all gather at cafes with full lycra on & bikes all chained up, sitting around sipping on their macchiatos. I just chuckle at them as I walk by.
But when I'm riding I just put my head down, bum up & keep on pedaling - couldn't give a stuff what I look like!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:30 pm

finally got done with paperwork and Hawaii planning at 8pm last night. 8.05pm I set off for a bike ride!! no lights, forgot me glasses, so I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me, on a nice bumpy dirt track!! luckily the only rabbit I saw, saw me first!! I was so worried about how dark it was going I really pumped the peddles - and knocked a whole 4 minutes off my 6klm sanctuary lakes circuit best time!! 25 min flat!! not bad in the dark!!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:50 am

think positive wrote:
finally got done with paperwork and Hawaii planning at 8pm last night. 8.05pm I set off for a bike ride!! no lights, forgot me glasses, so I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me, on a nice bumpy dirt track!! luckily the only rabbit I saw, saw me first!! I was so worried about how dark it was going I really pumped the peddles - and knocked a whole 4 minutes off my 6klm sanctuary lakes circuit best time!! 25 min flat!! not bad in the dark!!

Do you ride on a bike track / path?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:06 am

It's a bike/walking path around the wetlands, can get all the way to the beach too. We live very close to the track so I only go on the road for a few hundred metres. The track is about 2.5 Klm dirt and the rest paved.

Last edited by think positive on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:09 am

Got back on the bike to ride to work & back. First time in many months. Slack or whatever.

I'm seeing a physio who stopped riding to work because he got doored & fractured his shoulder - Church street Richmond.

On my first day of riding to work lt week I thought I'd do it slowly, take small steps. Ride one way (15km's) to work then ride about 5 km's & use the train on the way back. Do that for the fiist week.

On my first day remembering to keep to the outer part of the bike lane to avoid car doors on my left then right in front of me a cyclist gets doored by a passenger getting out of a taxi on his right. The passengers got out of a stationary taxi waiting in traffic. BOOM, went over the bike & landed on his left shoulder. Got off, made sure the guy was OK (plenty of folk around helping out) made sure the taxi driver didn't leave & within seconds a motor cycle cop turned up.

Ironically it was my first day working with the Police. Instead of finishing at 10 pm I finished at 1230 am. Rode to Flinders street - WTF no trains Mad so rode all the way home FFS Rolling Eyes

1 week later nearly got collected by a woman driving one handed with a mobile in the other & if it wasn't the morning should have been picked up for drink driving. This was in a car park where I was carefully walking the bike till I got out of an underground car park! Took a photo of her number plate gave her what for & went to the local police station.

I'm getting the helmet mounted video camera. Dangerous drivers - you gunna get busted.

I'm over the sore bum stage now. Also started swimming 3 times a week x 500 meters - wow haven't done this for years. I'm struggling in the last 2 laps but hope to do this for one month then build up to 20 laps (1km) like i did in the late 1980's albeit a lot slower.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:50 am

watt price tully wrote:
Got back on the bike to ride to work & back. First time in many months. Slack or whatever.

I'm seeing a physio who stopped riding to work because he got doored & fractured his shoulder - Church street Richmond.

On my first day of riding to work lt week I thought I'd do it slowly, take small steps. Ride one way (15km's) to work then ride about 5 km's & use the train on the way back. Do that for the fiist week.

On my first day remembering to keep to the outer part of the bike lane to avoid car doors on my left then right in front of me a cyclist gets doored by a passenger getting out of a taxi on his right. The passengers got out of a stationary taxi waiting in traffic. BOOM, went over the bike & landed on his left shoulder. Got off, made sure the guy was OK (plenty of folk around helping out) made sure the taxi driver didn't leave & within seconds a motor cycle cop turned up.

Ironically it was my first day working with the Police. Instead of finishing at 10 pm I finished at 1230 am. Rode to Flinders street - WTF no trains Mad so rode all the way home FFS Rolling Eyes

1 week later nearly got collected by a woman driving one handed with a mobile in the other & if it wasn't the morning should have been picked up for drink driving. This was in a car park where I was carefully walking the bike till I got out of an underground car park! Took a photo of her number plate gave her what for & went to the local police station.

I'm getting the helmet mounted video camera. Dangerous drivers - you gunna get busted.

I'm over the sore bum stage now. Also started swimming 3 times a week x 500 meters - wow haven't done this for years. I'm struggling in the last 2 laps but hope to do this for one month then build up to 20 laps (1km) like i did in the late 1980's albeit a lot slower.

good effort, gotta fit the tony speedos for summer huh!!

that's why I don't ride on the road, with poor hearing, poor vision, and just plain don't concentrate, I wouldn't last 5 imn. bit scary riding home at midnight mate Sad

im going to put my gopro on my bike to see what it looks like when I ride. stuck it on the dogs collar the other day, little dogs take a LOT of steps!!

cheers

ps, ive tried the cheap camera from big w, for $48 its not bad, but im going to put it on ebay, cos hubby got me the gopro for my birthday, and its magnificent, and all the attachments are fantastic. plenty to choose from now though. we got dash cams for the kids cars, but haven't had time to fit them. this jobs nearly done, so should have some time soon.

speaking of which, ive got mens bathrooms to fix up today, yuk, cheers!!!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Back to the ongoing discussion between cyclists and drivers.

Quote:
FEW topics fire up Melburnians more than the never-ending slanging match between cyclists and motorists.

It divides families, it divides a city.

Today we look at the argument from one side - the opinion of the motorist.

Part II, life on the road in the eyes of a cyclist, is up next.

-------------------------------------------------------

THE road was made for cars.

Its a road thats slowly being shrunk and chopped up so bike lanes and Lycra-friendly nooks can be carved into parking spaces across the city.

As a motorist I dont mind sharing the road. With other cars.

But cyclists often take things too far, and Im not just talking about their leg grooming habits.

Some of the things they do on the road simply drive me mad. So here they are.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/cars-vs-bikes-the-things-cyclists-do-that-make-the-road-hell-on-earth/story-fnkd6ppg-1227152275195

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:07 pm

They are starting to hunt in numbers along the Sydney Rd/Hume Hwy corridor, so just wait for a few deaths because that section of road is bad for cars let alone nongs on pushbikes.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:04 am

stui magpie wrote:
Back to the ongoing discussion between cyclists and drivers.

Quote:
FEW topics fire up Melburnians more than the never-ending slanging match between cyclists and motorists.

It divides families, it divides a city.

Today we look at the argument from one side - the opinion of the motorist.

Part II, life on the road in the eyes of a cyclist, is up next.

-------------------------------------------------------

THE road was made for cars.

Its a road thats slowly being shrunk and chopped up so bike lanes and Lycra-friendly nooks can be carved into parking spaces across the city.

As a motorist I dont mind sharing the road. With other cars.

But cyclists often take things too far, and Im not just talking about their leg grooming habits.

Some of the things they do on the road simply drive me mad. So here they are.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/cars-vs-bikes-the-things-cyclists-do-that-make-the-road-hell-on-earth/story-fnkd6ppg-1227152275195

what a pig ignorant, misinformed article. clearly designed to provoke reaction.

i have been riding through the city these last few days and can't get over the stupidity (and lack of thinking) of people in cars and also pedestrians. a lot of drivers just seem to do as they please without regard for anyone else whether they be in a car, on a bike or a pedestrian.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Big ride to Frankston and up Olivers Hill tjis morning and back to South Caulfield. Going down the hill is better than going up. Now I've got sore knees. Vey slow last 5-10 km's home.

Some provacative joker stood on the side of the road holding a placard saying bikes need to be registered while holding a small video recorder (to tape the responses) - lots of cyclists going past.

However the push for bycyclists and pedestrians to not waer headphones is one I while heartedly support.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:27 pm

Cyclists should be registered. The stupid things done in the CBD now present, IMO, a more serious threat to pedestrian safety than cars. The City of Melbourne seems to be full of cyclists who think that their entitlement is to go flat out wherever they are, including along shared paths. You can generally avoid cars by avoiding the roads but you can't avoid idiots on bicycles storming up the footpath.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Cyclists should be registered. The stupid things done in the CBD now present, IMO, a more serious threat to pedestrian safety than cars. The City of Melbourne seems to be full of cyclists who think that their entitlement is to go flat out wherever they are, including along shared paths. You can generally avoid cars by avoiding the roads but you can't avoid idiots on bicycles storming up the footpath.

Ive said this before as you have yours. Bike paths are dangerous & should never be shared. On the Gold Coast last year I saw some very wide ones. However pedestrians with headphones / on their mobiles are a huge threat to cyclists and themselves. I ride up / down Swanson street every day I ride to work & nearly everyday there is at least one distracted pedestrian that simply doesnt look. Cars by and large are more respectful & at least relatively predictable.

Bike paths should not be shared. I almost never ride on a shared path or footpath.

I nearly agree with you: pedestrians need to be registered.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 30 of 43   

Jump to: