Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Can Collingwood hang on to its stars?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
psychosupporter 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 2:37 pm
Post subject: Can Collingwood hang on to its stars?Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this so please bear with me...
Ive been a solid Collingwood supporter now for many years and , when there is a glimmer of something so promising in our team, I find myself doubting because I am all too aware of the heartache this club has put me through.

I look at the Collingwood team and think "wow, what bloody superstars they can all turn out to be..." But then I think to myself "will we be able to keep them? Will these guys end up playing elsewhere for money reasons?" I am all too aware at the lure of money and i can see all our young stars turning into superstars and becoming millionaires in their own right.

I am currently fretting at the idea that in the next few years we could lose the likes of Tarrant , Lonie (whom must be chased by everyone at the moment), Fraser, Holland, Johnson, N. Davis, L. Davis, Lockyer, O'Bree and the list goes on...

So my question is... "Does Collingwood have a deep enough pocket to keep its budding stars?" Nearly everyone on our current list is showing enormous potential and would be a handy inclusion in any team... so can we keep our young guns?

Uh... something something... mighty pies!

junkboy75 Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

josh fraser and chris tarrant have been tied up with long term contracts. as I mentioned in another post, buckley and richardson turn 30 next year, so they can nominate for the veterans list. this means that c'wood has to account for only half their wages under the salary cap. it should free enough money to re-sign the players who come out of contract at the end of this year, namely tarkyn lockyer, leon davis, james clement and chad rintoul, maybe even have enough money left over to sign an uncontracted player from another team, i.e. luke mcpharlin from hawthorn.

"everyone's a winner hot pies"
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 3:18 pm

psychosupporter

There are three main reasons why a top player will leave a Club:

Money
Team performance
Dislocation / lifestyle (homesickness)

Collingwood can satisfy the first two although money is going to be difficult.

We are one of the best placed teams financially and can spend to our salary cap without too much effort. Our biggest problem with regard to money, is that we are so stocked up with potential stars that future contracts for all of them are going to be very difficult to arrange within the salary cap. Some of them are not going to get what they want and may walk. This is a crucial planning stage in the development of the future team - which players are given big contracts and which are left to negotiate outside the Club. The results of this planning will shape our team over the coming seasons.

So money will be a problem in the future for some of our young and currently cheap stars.

Team Performance: They'd have to be mad to leave Collingwood at the moment. We've finally started to emerge from 'rebuilding' and have a team that is going to play finals football - possibly this year, but definitely for at least the following 5 seasons barring loss of important players through injury or bad player management (see above).

Lifestyle: This is the joker in the pack. Hard to predict and even harder to prevent. Lifestyle choices can be difficult and some players walk every season because of this. We almost lost Chris Tarrant last year. Most players in this area leave to go home and come from the younger ranks, although senior champions who have financial security and have played finals football are much freer to choose for lifestyle reasons. I don't think we'll lose senior players unexpectedly until they've got a cup in their resumé.

The short answer to your question is that, currently, Collingwood are probably one of the most secure clubs when it comes to player loyalty and are unlikely to suffer too much in the forseeable future, but will probably have to risk some players along the way.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 25 June 2001).]
psychosupporter 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 4:27 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys. Its just that Id hate to see Collingwood lose a budding champion. Im glad we've secured Tarrant, especially because he doesnt strike me as the "proud tom play for Collingwood" type. Sure hes a bloody star, but I dont think he understands how privileged he is to be playing for such a great club.

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 3:26 am

Posted by psychosupporter
when there is a glimmer of something so promising in our team, I find myself doubting because I am all too aware of the heartache this club has put me through.

Yes, exactly.
That's why I am finding it hard to tip us for the finals. And that is part of the reason why I don't think we will make it.
PROVE ME WRONG PIES!

"Good 'Ol Collingwood Forever"
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 9:42 am

I think we will hang onto most. Like Essendon players, these players need to realise that if they want to win a premiership then they will have to stick in there, and maybe realise money isn't everything. I hope the Collingwood guys read this, stay with Collingwood!!!

JDF
Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:21 am

Hehe

In 1990 we were about 9 goals in front with 10 minutes to go and I still didn't allow myself to believe it was an *absolute* certainty we would win.

It's time to enjoy the promise of a new era and not be pessimists!

I have been thinking about this question too....of having so many great players and how will we pay them all...and will they leave us eventually.

There a few points that occur to me.

1. Success in our game is a mixture of talent, teamwork and passion. So those that you might term *mercenaries* for whom the money is the *big* thing...I believe that few actually become genuine legends and superstars...because their heart is not a loyal one and when the chips are down why should they bleed for their team mates. I saw an example of this some years ago with an ex-St.Kilda star...he had been 'bought' by a local country team, and when his knee was injured he could have been right in a week...but his comment was...'there's no rush...3 weeks will be fine...I get paid anyway.'

2. Everyone has the same salary cap constraints, so there really isn't that much money out there to pinch our players with...and those who might have it will be the bottom teams trying to buy a ready made star. Now why would anyone want to leave a successful team with our charisma, and go play for a team that might be going nowhere? When you think about it very few *champs* have left their main club at the height of their career, though several have towards the end of their career. And what about Hamill for example...is he having a good time? Does anyone give a stuff aboout him? At Carlton he was like a movie star.

3. The bond. A team like ours surely must have a brilliant atmosphere at the moment. The guys must feel like commandos behind the lines, each ready to fight for the other and back the other up with their life. And ours should be an extra special bond because you don't have an old clique who are aloof from the newcomers...ours are nearly all newcomers...and they are clicking...its chemistry. You'd be crazy to want to leave such a golden opportunity for fame to go elsewhere and be *just* another player. Why play the game? ---> To have success and to live highlights that few others will ever get a chance to experience. And where better than a club called Collingwood which even when on the bottom of the ladder attracts 80,000 to a game!

4. The coach, administration and The Dynasty. To be coached by professionals who have 'The Knowledge'...it must be like fighting for Patton...you'd be a mug to transfer to some second rate unit when you can be either a legend yourself of be part of a legendary team. As we know its not every coach who can harness a players talent and put it on show, so when you are privileged to have one, you should be smart enough to stick around.

In summary, I doubt we will lose anyone. And if we do because they want more money?..maybe we don't need them in the long run, because every year there will be new champs who stand up, prepared to play for the club. Is Sav as famous as he was, playing for the Roos? Is Williams more famous playing for the Swans? What is Michael doing with the Lions? They have more money, but in 20 years will anyone be talking about them, I truly doubt it.

psychosupporter 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:48 am

Wow... thanks for that "hiya and hiya". That was a very comprhensive view on things. I must say i agree with you on the point that, if they were to leave for money reasons, they wouldn't have been worth it in the long run anyway.

Its just that i love the current list and Im just hopeful they dont get cocky and go elsewhere for money.

Thanks for that.

Leonin5=star 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 10:50 am

if you look at the current team..their hungry for success..and they can see their obviously making great strides under mick..id be surprised if any1 left of their own volition...

we're coming...
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 1:59 pm

Welcome aboard Physco !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: