Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Israeli/Palestinian conflict: will it ever end?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
also food and medical provisions. These things don't exactly grow on trees in Gaza.

Medical provisions are doubtful, but as a matter of fact, Mr City Boy, food does indeed "grow on trees". Shocked Apples, olives, bananas, honey, nuts, dates, pepper, peaches, plums, pomegranates, pears, pistachios, persimmons, pizzas, and passionfruit, they all really do grow on trees.

Well, OK, maybe not the pizzas.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:20 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'll give the Gazan's credit, they have a very good media process and are great at playing victim and attracting sympathy.

Most of the media is from foreign journalists, right? Not that it's exactly working. If Israel were losing this many citizens from the oh so effective Hamas attacks, we'd be hearing something much more like the West's over the top reaction to the downing of MH17. The pro-Israel propaganda far outweighs the pro-Palestinian.

And it's not hard to "play the victim" when Israel are targeting and killing children with missiles. They are the victims of course. Who else would be? The few Israeli soldiers, or the one Israeli civilian, killed?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:15 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I'll give the Gazan's credit, they have a very good media process and are great at playing victim and attracting sympathy.

Most of the media is from foreign journalists, right? Not that it's exactly working. If Israel were losing this many citizens from the oh so effective Hamas attacks, we'd be hearing something much more like the West's over the top reaction to the downing of MH17. The pro-Israel propaganda far outweighs the pro-Palestinian.

And it's not hard to "play the victim" when Israel are targeting and killing children with missiles. They are the victims of course. Who else would be? The few Israeli soldiers, or the one Israeli civilian, killed?

the Israelis are not targetting children. The hamas are placing missile launches amongst the children and firing. The Israelis are merely responding to where they think the batteries are. The Hamas are as gulty of creating martyrs as hell.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:58 am

ronrat wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

the Israelis are not targetting children. The hamas are placing missile launches amongst the children and firing. The Israelis are merely responding to where they think the batteries are. The Hamas are as gulty of creating martyrs as hell.

I doubt the Israelis are targeting children, but they're clearly not being too scrupulous about where they are targeting. What is it now, 500 Gazans vs 1 Israeili civilian ? The Israelis have a right to try and stop the rockets - but they show little concern for the lives and dispossession of Arabs. It is remarkable for a people who were themselves for so long the victims of racism.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:14 am

ronrat wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

No, they definitely targeted children. Did you not see the shots of those four boys being blown up on the beach? The targeting may have been a mistake, but it was targeting, the Israeli's have admitted as much, even saying they should have been able to tell that children were on the beach, rather than the militants they thought they were targeting. Somehow though, unlike MH17 in similar circumstances, it's immediately taken to be an accident and not an unspeakable crime or act of barbarism. And aside from incidents of actual targeting, they know that the consequences of these attacks will be that many innocent children, women and the elderly will be killed. It's not accidental it's calculated.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:59 am

Mugwump wrote:
I doubt the Israelis are targeting children, but they're clearly not being too scrupulous about where they are targeting. What is it now, 500 Gazans vs 1 Israeili civilian ? The Israelis have a right to try and stop the rockets - but they show little concern for the lives and dispossession of Arabs. It is remarkable for a people who were themselves for so long the victims of racism.

Japan lost how many Civilians compared to the US in WW2?

The hatred of the Jews is blinding people and distorting how the truth is being reported.

BTW I think it's about 30 to 1 now.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:09 am

1061 wrote:
The hatred of the Jews is blinding people and distorting how the truth is being reported.

Huh? Are you suggesting that hundreds of civilians aren't currently being killed in Gaza? Or that the media are just making Israel look bad?

Even the IDF's propaganda squad admits that this is happening. They just excuse it by saying that Hamas operatives are deliberately firing rockets from high density areas. Whether or not that is true, Israeli forces are admitting that they know that every one of their military strikes is going to have 'collateral damage'. That's a choice they can make, and their choice is to kill civilians.

It's not anti-semitism that's prompting the media to report on the horrors in Gaza. However much the West wants to turn its head, this is happening. It would be inhuman not to report it.

I'm still waiting for Tony Abbott's personal letter to the residents of Gaza offering the thoughts and prayers of Australians for the families who have lost their children and the orphans who have lost their parents. In the meantime, I'm wondering exactly how many Palestinian children are worth one Israeli life in the eyes of the west.

Last edited by David on Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:17 am

David wrote:
1061 wrote:

Huh? Are you suggesting that hundreds of civilians aren't currently being killed in Gaza? Or that the media are just making Israel look bad?

Even the IDF's propaganda squad admits that this is happening. They just excuse it by saying that Hamas operatives are deliberately firing rockets from high density areas. Whether or not that is true, Israeli forces are admitting that they know that every one of their military strikes is going to have 'collateral damage'. That's a choice they can make, and their choice is to kill civilians.

It's not anti-semitism that's prompting the media to report on the horrors in Gaza. It would be inhuman not to.

Why haven't the media reported the fact that Hamas is firing these rockets from the very streets Israel are targeting and this is why these streets are being targeted if they are not anti-jew!

Same goes for many of the posters big noting themselves with paragraph after paragraph of self satisfying posts in this thread.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 am

Where would you have heard this claim if not for the media? And why do you presume it to be fact?

Personally, I think it probably is true, but I don't think that excuses the Israeli attacks one bit. The ends do not justify the means.

And as someone with a Jewish girlfriend and a Jewish son-to-be, I think I can safely claim to not be 'anti-Jew'.

Last edited by David on Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:26 am

Isn't your GF an Australian Citizen or are you flying to Israel for the birth?

If not the Jewish heritage you are claiming is as disgraceful as those others who are born here but refer to themselves as for example "Lebanese Australians"!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:53 pm

Jewish is a race and a religion. Is someone who is a 'Catholic Australian' to be despised as well?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Meanwhile, back to the conflict.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/jews-and-arabs-refuse-to-be-enemies-20140724-zw7q0.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:13 pm

David wrote:
1061 wrote:

.. They just excuse it by saying that Hamas operatives are deliberately firing rockets from high density areas. Whether or not that is true,..

http://www.timesofisrael.com/for-second-time-rockets-found-at-un-school-in-gaza/

Rolling Eyes

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:38 pm

1061 wrote:

If not the Jewish heritage you are claiming is as disgraceful as those others who are born here but refer to themselves as for example "Lebanese Australians"!

Yes, she's an Australian citizen and she's Jewish (Russian-Jewish, to be exact). Do you want me to break this down for you?

I suppose you also think Barack Obama's a disgrace for calling himself an 'African-American'. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:42 pm

David wrote:
1061 wrote:

Yeah, Barack Obama's a real disgrace for calling himself an 'African-American'. Absolute scum of the earth.

Are you seriously comparing a group of people removed from their homeland to become slaves in another country at gunpoint to immigrants who move of their own free will?

Congratulations kid, looks like you're becoming a parent Wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 5 of 18   

Jump to: