Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

No Collingwood players in the revised team of the century.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides lack credibility for not having a Collingwood player in them.

How can Gordon Coventry not be in the forward line of the 1996 side. First player to kick 100 goals, held the goal kicking record for over 60 years, 5 time premiership player.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/G/Gordon_Coventry.html

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 am

That for mine was always the unforgivable sin, putting Coleman in ahead of Coventry in the first place.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:57 am

Piesnchess wrote:
collie dog wrote:
Why the HELL would anyone take anything seriously that Robbo writes? Evil or Very Mad

What qualifies that drunk to think he can even pick the team of the century. And WHY does it need to be revised? (other than including a Collingwood player or three). But seriously Jack Dyer was a legend. Hadyn Bunton won three Brownlows. And these morons want to drop them from their team? Confused Rolling Eyes

Robbo is chief football writer for the Herald Sun - says it ALL really.

SPOT ON I heard fatboy robbo on radio the other day, he sounded like some uncouth loudmouth, uneducated bogan moron. He drops all his Gs, you know, somthin, nothin, and rambles on like a total dickhead.
If this prick had half a brain, he would at least pick Len Thompson for ruck, the finest ruckman our Pies have ever had. who cares what the bald headed goose thinks, he writes for the HUN, that says it all folks. Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

qualifies him perfectly. he resembles a fair proportion of the football following public.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:00 am

merolz wrote:
1996 team
B: Bernie Smith (Geel), Stephen Silvagni (Carl), John Nicholls (Carl)
HB: Bruce Doull (Carl), Ted Whitten (Foot), Kevin Murray (Fitz)
C: Francis Bourke (Rich), Ian Stewart (StK/Rich), Keith Grieg (NM)
HF: Alex Jesaulenko (Carl), Royce Hart (Rich), Dick Reynolds (Ess)
F: Leigh Matthews (Haw), John Coleman (Ess), Haydn Bunton (Fitz)
Foll: Graham Farmer (Geel), Ron Barassi (Melb/Carl), Bob Skilton (S. Melb)
Int: Gary Ablett Snr (Haw/Geel), Jack Dyer (Rich), Greg Williams (Geel/Syd/Carl)

Latest team (Mark Robinson, Dermott Brereton and Jon Anderson):
B: Bernie Smith (Geel), Stephen Silvagni (Carl), Francis Bourke (Rich)
HB: Bruce Doull (Carl), Ted Whitten (Foot), Kevin Murray (Fitz)
C: Gary Ablett Jnr (Geel/GC), Ian Stewart (StK/Rich), Keith Grieg (NM)
HF: Gary Ablett Snr (Haw/Geel), Wayne Carey (NM/Adel), Dick Reynolds (Ess)
F: Leigh Matthews (Haw), Tony Lockett (StK/Syd), Simon Madden (Ess)
Foll: Graham Farmer (Geel), Ron Barassi (Melb/Carl), Bob Skilton (S. Melb)
Int: Royce Hart (Rich), Alex Jesaulenko (Carl), Greg Williams (Geel/Syd/Carl), John Coleman (Ess)

IN:
Gary Ablett Jnr (Geel/GC)
Wayne Carey (NM/Adel)
Tony Lockett (StK/Syd)
Simon Madden (Ess)

OUT:
John Nicholls (Carl)
Haydn Bunton (Fitz)
Jack Dyer (Rich)

Any of the Collingwood players schuey07 lists above are unquestionable champions, but who to omit from these teams for them? They all belong in the football pantheon.

Nathan Buckley is still the best player I have seen and that includes Gaz JNR, tagging tactics are no where near as good as they were in Buckleys day Gaz got a fair bit of free reign in his career to date which imo gets overlooked. In fact a lot of teams let him do what he wanted once he was in a GC jumper.
Bucks was tagged in every game he played and by multiple taggers some games.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:58 am

When Coventry and Bob Rose arent placed ahead of Ted Whitten and pretty boy Silvagni then the selectors are pathetic , i wouldn't expect much else from a tool like David Parkin.

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
What do we think about Simon Madden? I may be too young, but I would never have even thought of him as close to selection. Maybe it's just that ruck is the weakest position? I can understand Silvagni (though I'm sure he'll be replaced by Matty Scarlett one day Rolling Eyes ), but Madden genuinely has me scratching my head. Maybe I just don't know my history well enough?

Pretty hard to argue against Madden's inclusion. The whole process is extremely subjective though.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:06 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Just noticed that Madden is listed as a forward. How does he compare to Salmon? Stats are very similar. I'd have been less surprised to see the latter included, but then I actually saw him play Wink.

I'd say out Madden, in Daicos. A real forward pocket. I don't think he was necessarily our greatest player, but he's the one that fits into the team.

madden was in as second ruck, changing forward pocket. And he was a very good ruckman.

So was the big fish. But that's beside the point. The best ruckman ever, needs a backup? No way. Farmer can ruck on his own with part-timers pinch hitting. If Jolly could do it so can he. Lockett's not going to let Madden rest in his 50 anyway, it's already stretching it to suggest he'd accept Ablett on the field and Coleman on the bench.

No, this team needs the best small forward ever to play the game (ok, maybe a duel between he and Leigh) in the pocket. Come on down, Peter Daicos.

Didn't Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett all play in the 1 F50 for Victoria in a SOO game, against SA if memory serves.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:22 pm

Yep you are right. And they totally dominated the game.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Bob Rose with the first "Mr Football".

Charlie Dibbs - 5 premierships from 8 GFs and 216 games. If Jack Regan was the "Prince of Fullbacks" then Charlie surely was the King. Charlie taught Jack how to play the position. Jack only took over after Charlie left at the end of 1935. Silvani isn't fit to tie either of their shoelaces.

Peter Daicos.

Either of Len Thompson and Peter Moore are better than anyone any other club can dish up. Both where revolutionary versatile all-ground utility rucks.

I get the feeling the idea of this TOC BS is to create some form of Collingwood controversy to arrest falling circulation numbers for the Hun.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Nichols in the back pocket, Madden in the forward pocket?
Farmer as the 3rd ruckman.
Why play 3 in the ruck?
If your not the best ruck-man you don't belong in the pocket, a genuine forward or backman does!

Who would the crowd go to see, Madden or Daicos?

"Team of the century"? Baaah humbug!
This is a team of mates of mates!

fwtw Nichols was a thug in team of thugs... nothing special there.
... Madden was a good ruckman...big deal!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:29 pm

jackcass wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Just noticed that Madden is listed as a forward. How does he compare to Salmon? Stats are very similar. I'd have been less surprised to see the latter included, but then I actually saw him play Wink.

I'd say out Madden, in Daicos. A real forward pocket. I don't think he was necessarily our greatest player, but he's the one that fits into the team.

madden was in as second ruck, changing forward pocket. And he was a very good ruckman.

So was the big fish. But that's beside the point. The best ruckman ever, needs a backup? No way. Farmer can ruck on his own with part-timers pinch hitting. If Jolly could do it so can he. Lockett's not going to let Madden rest in his 50 anyway, it's already stretching it to suggest he'd accept Ablett on the field and Coleman on the bench.

No, this team needs the best small forward ever to play the game (ok, maybe a duel between he and Leigh) in the pocket. Come on down, Peter Daicos.

Didn't Lockett, Dunstall and Ablett all play in the 1 F50 for Victoria in a SOO game, against SA if memory serves.

Yes. No Madden though Wink.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:05 am

Lockett, Dunstall and Brereton played in the same Vic side against SA in 1989.

No Ablett as he got suspended for belting Gary Lyon in a home and away game a week before from memory. Lucklily for the crow eaters otherwise we'd have beaten them by 150 points.

Ablett and Lockett did play in the same side together but without Dunstall (who was a Queenslander anyway) notably in the famous Teddy Whitten match of 1995, another massive Victorian win.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:25 am

^^Ah, good point. Shoulda caught that. Dunstall playing for the Vics Shocked.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 pm

They're all very good players. To say someone doesn't deserve their spot is harsh, but then again you're making that decision against some other very very very good players. Jack Nichols getting dropped is really tough. Madden Vs Len Thompson or Peter Moore? Tough one.

No Pies players is a bit ridiculous really, but I'm not sure who you'd drop to put them in. Then again, the Pies team of the century would tear this lot of money hungry show ponies apart Wink

- Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: