Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our best ruck mix

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Our best ruck mix
Witts & Grundy
76%
 76%  [ 32 ]
Witts & part-timer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Grundy & part-timer
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
Hudson & part-timer or Witts/Grundy
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We challenge for the flag EVERY year. Some attempts seem more viable than others from the start of a season but a season is long time in football. The development of players, team depth, coaching strategies, injuries, preseason conditioning, umpire bias and luck all play an unpredictable role as to who will be playing the last game of the finals. If your right yourself off before you start you will NEVER get there.

How many of us thought that we would win in 2010 at this point of the home and away season?

slydog81 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:48 am

The problem with playing Witts and Grundy will become more evident when Reid is fit as I dont think they can play them both and keep white as well.

I think Grundy has just got Witts atm but geez he gives away alot of free kicks.

Reminds me of a young Monkhurst.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:12 am

Albert Parker wrote:
^Hawks won a flag last year with Max Bailey on one leg.
Cats often had Ottens by himself.
2010 we had Jolly and Brown

Let's have more nimble types in the team. Can win a flag without a dominant ruck performance. Just manage Grundy and Witts through the season.

Hawks had a pretty handy backup in Hale. His experience allows him to have an influence forward but that wasn't always the case. The more exposure we can give Witts and Grundy as forwards, the better we'll be served longer term. I'm not saying it should always be at senior level but I do think it has greater benefit than exposure at VFL level.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 am

watt price tully wrote:
Thompson & Jenkins

Thompson & Heard

Courtesy of Magpie Greg uploading this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UxJFJIEp0

Thompson & Moore was a pretty handy combo.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:21 am

jackcass wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Thompson & Jenkins

Thompson & Heard

Courtesy of Magpie Greg uploading this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UxJFJIEp0

Thompson & Moore was a pretty handy combo.

Just ahead of Murray Batt and Jerker Jenkins........ Twisted Evil Razz

(With Ernie Hug jnr and Neville Muir on the bench....)
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

jackcass wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
^Hawks won a flag last year with Max Bailey on one leg.
Cats often had Ottens by himself.
2010 we had Jolly and Brown

Let's have more nimble types in the team. Can win a flag without a dominant ruck performance. Just manage Grundy and Witts through the season.

Hawks had a pretty handy backup in Hale. His experience allows him to have an influence forward but that wasn't always the case. The more exposure we can give Witts and Grundy as forwards, the better we'll be served longer term. I'm not saying it should always be at senior level but I do think it has greater benefit than exposure at VFL level.

^They did but then they recruited McEvoy to replace Bailey. Hale a 2nd ruck option and but a viable standalone forward. A (much) more polished Leigh Brown than a Witts (better ruck than forward bias) for mine.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
We challenge for the flag EVERY year. Some attempts seem more viable than others from the start of a season but a season is long time in football. The development of players, team depth, coaching strategies, injuries, preseason conditioning, umpire bias and luck all play an unpredictable role as to who will be playing the last game of the finals. If your right yourself off before you start you will NEVER get there.

How many of us thought that we would win in 2010 at this point of the home and away season?

I guess what I'm saying is that we are a real chance to make top 4. And if we do, we can't think about future development, because we have to be serious about going all the way. Finish outside the 8, sure develop during the year; finish 7-8 maybe you think a little about development going into finals. But make top 4 and it should all be about the now.

This is why, to me, at their current stage of development, Witts and Grundy won't be playing together in the biggest games. They'd need to take massive strides over the season to reach that point. Maybe they can do it, but right now the thinking would be to play one (Grundy ahead for now) and a part timer. And it's not just about them. To play both, we need to leave out White, Frost or Maxwell, as well as Keeffe and that would be a tough call.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: