Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

'Bandwagoner' vs 'True supporter' - What's the difference?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandwagoners = Those jumping from team to team i reckon.

So sorry if I do not attend games, but the 10 hour drive is a bit much at my age.

Why is it that some people on this board think they are soooo much bettera supporters than others on here. GET A LIFE!!!! and pull ya bluddy heads in.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:15 am

Has anyone ever admitted to being a bandwagoner ??........lol

jlc

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:21 am

I'm one JLC!
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:47 am
Post subject: Re: What aboutReply with quote

johnny@ wrote:
Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
I have been to 99% of Collingwood games in Melbourne over the last 10 years.
I have not missed a Collingwood game in Melbourne since 1998.
I live and breathe Collingwood. I consider myself a true supporter.

What about people who work and cannot make the matches or families that cannot afford it because of home payments and the like, who might be able to go to 2-3 matches a season only? Are they not capable of being true supporters as you put it? I have a problem with the way you said that which makes me want to defend the less fortunate. Collingwood is not an elitist club like Carlton its back ground is working class and we should never forget that.

I never said anything about anyone else. All I said is why I consider myself one. I didn't strictly say if you aren't like me then you are bandwagoner, so I am unsure of what your point is?
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:37 am

my definition of a....
BANDWAGONER;a person who supports one team and when there team is not going to well they decide to barrack for a team that is winning.Or a person or friend that you known for years and years and because of collingwood recent success says i am a collingwood supporter so you take him/her to a game and they say who just kicked that goal and you reply nathan buckley that is when you know they are a bandwagoner.Usually these people are kids aged under 8 or females who don't no anything about football or males who are'nt sporty types trying to fit in.

Last edited by STOKA35 on Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:48 am

Good point Stoka..... but it's even better catching out people who have no idea, when they say who kicked it and you reply: "Jason Wild kicked it" and they're like "Cool. What number is he again? I forgot" hahaha

I've done that once.
GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:48 am

well a true supporter is someone who has stuck with us over the last decade when we were terrible and kept going to see the pies even though we kept losing and losing eg(1999)and having to put up with duds like jason wild and steven patterson in the side
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:04 am

Here we go again. Open your eyes, your a supporter no matter whether you follow the team in the good times or the bad, some people are just more intense than others.
magpie24 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:42 am

I can always sort out the bandwagoners from the die hards.

They are the ones that sit dressed in their street clothes(no Collingwood gear) and yell abuse at the tiniest mistake a player makes.They make me sick!

Over the years i have noticed the "Bandwagoner" is the one outside at half time having a smoke putting down the players and saying to himself why did i bother coming, i have seen this behavior time and time again!

Thats what i call a bandwagoner
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:24 am

yeah LD - when did you lat attend a game? UNCOMMITTED!! Razz

- Ben
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:54 am

Oh, and you can't be a bandwagoner if you think your team is going to win every week.
cooldewd Sagittarius

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:00 pm

This is an emotive issue.

A bandwagoner for me is someone who barracks for an under achieving club like a St Kilda, Fitzroy (when they existed), Carlton etc who barrack AGAINST the Pies when their teams didn't make the finals. I was surrounded by these types at the GF.

I was born into a Magpie family.....I don't know any other way.

However, I am not going to close the door on people who have somehow seen the light and had an epiphony. Every extra supporter is still a supporter. It adds to our power and builds the number of our army. Our club is stronger because of these supporters and supporters that come from mixed families. Eddie Maguire himself comes from a divided family with his brother Frank barracking for the Bombers.

I have noticed alot of Asian Magpie supporters at recent games....that is great. Our club is broadening its appeal and people from non Aussie rules backgrounds are discovering our club and the brotherhood and unity it fosters.

In my line of work, I meet many, many Iraqi, Afghani and Somalian refugees....you guys might think I am crazy, but I try and convince them that Collingwood is a club for them. OK, so maybe I use some sly tactics to get them to look at Collingwood as the "good guys" by telling them that Carlton, Melbourne, St Kilda and Hawthorn have many Jewish supporters and therefore are "infidels", but I figure that the more of these people and their kids that are channelled in the CFC direction can only benefit Collingwood in the long run.

If we adopt this, "we are born Collingwood and you're not" attitude, Collingwood can never grow and other clubs with clever marketing departments will go past us. We must be inclusive and welcoming.

You want to barrack for the Pies? Great life choice buddy, welcome aboard!

My dream is to see Collingwood FC go past 50,000 members in the next 3 years.

Magpie brother and sisters, if we want to be the most powerful institution in the land and build a thousand year reich, we must embrace everyone.

The Dude

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:42 pm

To say you’re a bigger, better, stronger, passionate supporter than anyone else is the height of ignorance and shows the immaturity of some people. Just because someone does something differently than you do does not make him or her any less a supporter. I would not stand in the cheer squad for many reasons; does this make me a less supporter or a band Wagoner than a cheer squad person? I don't think so and if you wish to stand up on your soap box and preach to me about who is and who isn't a supporter then all I can say is people who live in glass houses should never throw stones. Like many older posties on this board I would have attended more games good and bad in my lifetime than half of you. I will yell at my team and let them know how I feel when they play shit and I should be able to without being ridiculed by some twit who thinks they are better than me.

I hate losing and get pissed off at my team losing and with that I will yell, post or whatever about who I feel is not playing the way I want them to play in my opinion. If I accepted loss I would be following StKilda.

For some self-righteous twit to stand up and say they are more a supporter than you or I is an absolute joke and as I said earlier very immature.

We are all supporters because that’s who only follow Colingwood.
sharp9 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:51 pm

Every club in the comp has a similar number of bandwagoners (how much has Collingwood's attendance gone up in the last couple of years) and has since time immemorial. you don't hear die-hards complaingin when 80,000 are going to turn up for a big game. That's football, always has been and always will be. Without The Bandwagoners football would be a much, much poorer place - both from a money and an energy point of view. Otherwise 25, 000 would turn out for a Collingwood-Melbourne final...how crap would that be?
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:36 pm

yeah but sydney has the most without question, sharp9.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: