Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

West Aussie Picks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 1999 10:43 am
Post subject: West Aussie PicksReply with quote

It will be interesting to see how Danny Roach goes. I really think we should have taken Darren Glass with that pick.

The fact that he is a West Aussie musn't have had too much to do with it since they drafted 3 others from WA.

Does anyone know much about Roach, Johnson, Stone or Baynes?

I know a bit about the other 2. We took Leon Davis a bit earlier than where he was expected to be go but nevertheless he is a promising player.

Davis played a lot of senior footy this year. He is a skilful forward pocket/flanker who is good around goals.

Michael Clark was a surprise pick up and is definitely a risk. He's had major injury troubles and has already had 2 knee reconstructions. But he went through this season pretty much injury free and I was surprised the dorks didn't play him more. He is a bit of a freak when you consider he is 194cms and usually plays wing or h/forward.

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 1999 4:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the look of davis. just the kind of player we need - a flashy FP with pace and he's goal hungry. where did glass eventually get picked up? i'm sure MM and co did their homework on that one. from the sounds of things all he can do is mark his man. roach seems a lot more versatile; at least he could provide a bit of spark in a backline with the dour likes of presti. and you never know, clark could be the surprise packet we need. you have to take risks to succeed, so there's no point crying over a spilt milkshake if he doesn't work out.
Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 1999 3:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A snippet about Danny Roach from the Tassie Mercury

" Danny delighted Magpies swoop on him
Monday, November 01, 1999
``NEVER count your chickens before they hatch`` is a saying country-raised Tasmanian Danny Roach knows only too well.
Which is why the 192cm boy from Beaconsfield was just relieved to be picked in yesterday`s AFL draft, much less in such an exalted position as No 7 by Collingwood.
The reason for Roach`s cautious nature is he boarded in Hobart with the family of Tassie Mariner star Peter Street in 1997 when the beanpole ruckman from Glenorchy looked a monty to be drafted.
``They were talking about Peter being picked in the first three and I remember how he looked when he wasn`t picked at all,`` Roach said.
``Geelong took him last year but that served as a lesson to me not to get my hopes up or take too much notice of what other people think you`re going to do.`` But once the lanky 17-year-old Guilford Young College student heard his name called out on the televised coverage of the draft as he sat at home with his family, he let his hair down and went out for a kick with his mates as a stream of well-wishers dropped in to shake his hand.
None was happier than his mother Sue, an ardent Collingwood fan.
She put a Magpie hat and scarf on her son and likened him to her hero Nathan Buckley, saying: ``I think he even looks a bit like Buckley and if he turns out half as good I`ll be a very happy mum.`` Roach is the state`s highest draft pick since Daniel McAlister was snapped up by Essendon at No 5 in 1996.
``I played quite well after being selected in the Australian under-17 team that played Ireland in a Gaelic footy series last April and that probably helped me get noticed,`` he said.
``And with the Mariners, I`ve played everywhere from centre half-forward, ruck, wing and defence, so the scouts had a good chance to see what I could do.`` -ILLUS- Flying to the Magpies: Mariner Danny Roach, of Beaconsfield, selected by Collingwood in yesterday`s AFL draft."

Should we nickname him "Disco" after the Richmomd legend ?

------------------
Tony_Clemente@hotmail.com
www.netspace.net.au/~clemo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: