Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Malthouse on Channel 7 sports show

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:41 am
Post subject: Malthouse on Channel 7 sports showReply with quote

He is being very positive about our players.
Great faith in Clokey. Says Brown played the best a CHF has played in a long time, and Cloke was just back from injury, that it takes a few weeks to recover your form after injury, and Cloke can only get better, but it was a great test for Jason Cloke.

Mick also says that we are better than last year, and travelling good.
Says its hard to be up for 7 weeks in a row in Football today.

Dr. Rock 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he was remarkably upbeat about it all.Good to see he is showing faith in his players and you can be sure they are appreciative of that.
It does hurt copping a hiding like that but at least it wasn't a final. And i actually believe we outplayed there midfield for a fair bit of the match, only our poor shooting after half time - 3 goals 11 points really hurt.

We just have to bac kup now agaisnt the crows.
Adz 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:16 pm

Damn, i missed it. Did he say anything else?
Dr. Rock 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:24 pm

Actually Wooey, he came out with stuff about a Trojan horse, i saw Holland on 10 last night and he seemed bemused by it all.
Personally i liked the ox quote better from the weagles days but the trojan horse idea may catch on.I just hope i am thinking along his line of thought!

(hope like hell it isn't like the holy grail where they make a trojan rabbit and forget to hide inisde it!)
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:37 pm

bucks is on the couch on fox monday night
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 10:53 pm

Off topic for a second.

Someone mentioned the Malthouse Ox quote. I think his best line ever was when Lockett beat Coventry's record. And he was asked what he thought about.
He said something along the lines of "I have as much interest in Lockett's record as I do in watching grass grow," or something like that. Priceless.
SuperBucks 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 11:12 pm

I have posted about this issue before but I find Pie fans and coaching staff's belief in Jason Cloke remarkable.

Jason can't kick the ball for shit while under pressure, he turns the ball over too often, and when played against great forwards one on one (the type you play in finals) he is brutally exposed. Remember vs Goodes earlier this season. I haven't forgotten.

All he can do is play the game on his terms as the loose man in defence. Good coaches will pull you out of your comfort zone, and he has no answer for that.

I like to be positive about players who I think will get better, but I think we have already seen the best of Jason Cloke.

I would like to lament the appalling trade made at the end of 1999, when we had the No. 3 pick and traded it to Bitchmond for McKee, and picked up Danny Roach with the Number 7 pick. Freo then picked Pavlich at No. 4. Can you imagine this Collingwood team with Matthew Pavlich in it as a key defender? Instead we have to rely on a never will be like Jason Cloke - valiant battler, but the Pavliches of this world win you flags, not players like Cloke. I would have been almost alone among Pie fans in not lamenting Cloke's absence from last year's grand final.

I await people's responses, with something more intelligent than "Cloke gives his all". So did Jason Wild.
Banksy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:52 am

SuperBucks i agree with you 100 percent.But on Saturday against the Lions we had no other option for Brown.
Cloke plays the role of a loose man in defence well...a no frills approach to spoiling,but when we have blokes like Presti and to a lesser extend Kinnear out injured we're limited in trying to exproit the loose man in defence plan.......meaning Cloke has a man to pick up...something he isn't good at and will be taken to the cleaners by most gun forwards in the comp.
Cloke's match day role is very much dictated by how our other backmen match up with the opposition forwards......against Lynch and Brown we basically had no answers...as they're both big key position forwards and with Presti out we struggled.
I have no doubt that if we had the luxury of playing Presti ...he would have gone to Brown ..Cloke playing his usual role as a floater down back and Mckee on the bench with the occasional spell in the ruck if not out of the side all together with Betheras in.Again it would depend on match ups.
Again SuperBucks like i said ...you're totally right on your Cloke comments....but i much rather he was playing in the side than not because he gives you a contest in pack situations and he is a great asset to the side when match ups go our way...unfortunately they didn't against the Lions.
Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:20 am

People he is only 21 years of age!!!! He will get better in time

RIP Bobby Rose Snr
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:07 pm

He is 21 and still learning but the biggest problem I have is that he isnt big or strong enough to contain a brown type of player and not quick or skillful enough to play off half back.

He has value, but as to exactly where, I do not know.

For those who are comparing him to pavlich and saying we should have taken him have to remember we had NO ruckmen at all except for a kid named Fraser who was 17/18. There is also no point wondering abolut "what if.." etc. Whats done is done and there is no point worrying about it.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:28 pm

21 years old.

2nd in the league most of the year for one-percenters (spoils, shepherds & all that).

considering players his height don't reach their peak until they're 25/26, i'm not complaining.

you know who clokey is really missing right now? presti.

jase was pretty average at willi throughout his first year - the way he's come on in the last 2 years is extraordinary. never woulda guessed.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:27 am

Bring back Walker. At least that will deflect some of this dumb criticism off Cloke!
Clokey was rusty aftrer a lay off, so was Clemo but he hasn't got any of this crap dished out on poor Clokey!
Listen dudes, Clokey, Walker etc WILL improve with more experience and game time, just give them a fair go.
And Foxy youy are spot on about Jase and his first year at Willy. Look at him now. I hope he shuts up all his critics with a blinder on Friday night against the cows.

Lazza
HotPies90 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:42 am

SuperBucks your concerns have been adressed pretty well by everyone here. The only thing I'd like to add is that Clokey is definitely getting better at being accountable and beating his opponent. Remember him keeping Hamill kickless? He's had a few games like that where he has towelled his opponent, with age will come consistency. And as for his kicking, mate there's a reason why Presti hardly ever kicks the ball - he's shit at it! Doesn't stop him being one of the best fullbacks in the comp.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:17 am

SuperBucks wrote:

I would like to lament the appalling trade made at the end of 1999.......

20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing, crikey, I recall we missed Brett Heady and Dean Kemp who were drafted somewhere in the 80's....Roach didn't work out, injuries blah blah...that's the chance you take..nothing is a certainty...as for premiership class players, I recall one Mario Bortolotto getting 2 premiership medallions!!! Cloke is better than him!

I await your preview of this years draft, so we all will know who the 'guns' will be!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: