Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

mid season report?Any comments?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed healey 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:39 am
Post subject: mid season report?Any comments?Reply with quote

After round 11 last year we were 5-6,this year we are similar,hopefully 6-5.
June has not been kind to this club for a while.
From my viewpoint over here in WA,the list is better but the footy is similar with flashes of brilliance and many poor decisions made and poor kicking for goal.
The future looks good,but the good clubs have ruckmen and Im a bit sceptical that we can make the 8 or better without 2 ruckmen of quality.This year or any year.
Im happy with the form of the back half and midfield.
The forwards are still wasteful and inconsistent and unaccountable too often.
Its been the same story at the club for 7 years at least.
I know MM has said we are rebuilding still and the 8 is not on the agenda,but why isnt it?
To make the step up,we need a more skilful forward half,less wasteful and as mentioned 2 rucks.
The next draft will make or break MMs plan,and I cant see any ruckmen worth getting that will be available.
So its crucial that the forward set up be improved from now...not next year.
Richo up forward has been tried and failed,there must be some changes MM can make as it is no good sticking to the system we have.
If we miss out in june again we could be 5-10 before we know it and another season of hope is flushed down the toilet.
Can anyone see the players around that can improve the scoring/and forward set up?

Woodsman 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the forward line has been one of our greatest assets this year. We are defintely more flexible without Sav and players are standing up when others are having a bad day (ie Pebbles in the Carlton game). I think that against Sydney that the forwards played well considering the flooding tactics of Sydney, and the lack of a winning midfield.

This leads me to the midfield. Without a doubt this is where the game was lost on Sunday. Without Buckley I feel that O'Bree and Lockyer were not able to lift sufficiently to cover the loss. I am not saying they didn't try, only that it didn't come together on the day. Also I feel that we can cover a Buckley absence from the team, though only with the likes of Rintoul, Burns, Steinfort and Adkins in the midfield. I believe that Steinfort was missed greatly, there is no doubt he would have lined up on Schwass and would have kept him a lot quieter.

I hope that the pies rest Buckley this week to have him right for the final half of the season. I'd rather miss him for one game and have him 90-95% fit for the rest of the year rather then keep him going at 70% fitness.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:09 pm

I could not be happier things are lookin prety good especially when you compare the state of affairs 2 to 3 years ago.

WE MARCH WITH PRIDE,WE MARCH WITH LOVE,WHEN IT COMES TO OUR COLLINGWOOD WE FOREVER MARCH ! we will never forget our great number #42...GO YOU BLOODY PIES yeaaah LETS KICK ASS.lets kill the bastards !!
http://www.mp3.com/joffa

The room service guy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:21 pm

In terms of ruckmen, I think Guy Richards is being groomed to work in tandem with Roghan Josh. Immediately, I think Ukovic could be played as a small forward. I think Brodie Holland should play up the ground more, particularly if Bucks is out.

BRING BACK SHANE WATSON!!!!!

Woodsman 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:25 pm

Why did it take soooo long for Holland to get a run on Sunday. We lacked crumbing forwards and the guy has been best in this role all year.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:51 pm

I think we are travelling Ok. at the start of the season I'd take 5-5 and how well we have played in patches. Now is the business end of the season, and batting .500 wont be good enough to get us into the finals, so lets hope we can keep improving and not go belly up like in recent seasons.

rash 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:31 am

Why can't we seem to find a small forward who can get front and centre to the contest. It seems that the opposition always do this and run the ball far too easily out of our forward line. I am sure we do have players to do this but they seem to get moved around a lot. We really nead a Farmer/Burns (thats Ronnie) type crumbing forward. Put someone there and leave him there rather than give him a couple of quaters on the ball.

I would still like to see Presti get a run a centre half forward. He played all his junior footy in that position.

Clemo Capricorn

clemo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:31 pm

Rash,

We've got somebody. He's Neon Leon, ufortunately he's gotta be taught to be front and sqaure off Tarrant. Too often last week he was 10 feet behind. Why wasn't the coaching staff telling him via the runner to do so. I duuno - blind Freddy would be able to see that !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: