Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 5 - Williamstown vs Collingwood at Point Gellibrand

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MagpieBat wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
He's got good height and good agility, he's basically a very tall midfielder. Wing or half forward is his natural spot but nothing wrong for long term planning making him play back for a while as a learning curve.

Agree, looks a natural midfielder or forward. Certainly wont hurt his development to get some defensive experience as long as it doesn't cruel his confidence.

At the moment, we're a little light on for alternatives which doesn't help his case to move upfield. The return of Keeffe & Hartley will help. The potential lose of Frost doesn't.

I think the fact we had this kid developing on our list was half the reason the club didn't grab Stewart as a FS.

Gault actually played as midfielder as a junior. Then, once he reached the under 18s, he hit a sudden 10cm growth spurt and came back as a forward/ruckman.

I still think he would provide us with a handy option in that "mobile forward/relief ruck" role...

I see a few sides are playing 2 rucks around the ground at the same time for the 3rd man up option; do you think Gault would have the mobility and agility to allow us to plan the same system?

Was very very surprised we turned down Stewart on the F/S...obviously something we don't know... what number did he go at in the end?

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
I see a few sides are playing 2 rucks around the ground at the same time for the 3rd man up option; do you think Gault would have the mobility and agility to allow us to plan the same system?

Was very very surprised we turned down Stewart on the F/S...obviously something we don't know... what number did he go at in the end?

Yep. Gault is another of those "tall midfielders" that we hear about. He was actually a midfielder in his junior days, then he turned 18 and grew 10cm and came back as a ruckman.

Good mobility for a tall, could hold a key post or play as your "Leigh Brown 3rd tall" if need be. Derek Hine actually said as much when we drafted him.

You could definitely play him with Jolly, with Gault as the 2nd ruckman and allow Q-Stick to play predominately as a key forward.

We're persisting with him as a backman, though, and that's the way it's going to be, which is sad, because we have a viable solution to our forward/ruck imbalance sitting in the reserves.

As for Stewart, we didn't rate him that highly, we needed the picks for other things, so we didn't nominate him. We also had a surplus of tall blokes on the list at the time.

He went to GWS at pick 27.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:39 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
He's got good height and good agility, he's basically a very tall midfielder. Wing or half forward is his natural spot but nothing wrong for long term planning making him play back for a while as a learning curve.

Agree, looks a natural midfielder or forward. Certainly wont hurt his development to get some defensive experience as long as it doesn't cruel his confidence.

At the moment, we're a little light on for alternatives which doesn't help his case to move upfield. The return of Keeffe & Hartley will help. The potential lose of Frost doesn't.

I think the fact we had this kid developing on our list was half the reason the club didn't grab Stewart as a FS.

Gault actually played as midfielder as a junior. Then, once he reached the under 18s, he hit a sudden 10cm growth spurt and came back as a forward/ruckman.

I still think he would provide us with a handy option in that "mobile forward/relief ruck" role...

He went around pick 32 iirc, Sheedy took him.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Pick 27. So, we took Broomhead, Kennedy and Grundy ahead of him. And, I suppose, Jackson Ramsay with the pick (38 ) we might have had to use as a F/S bid to get him ahead of GWS.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: