Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 2 - Werribee vs Collingwood at Chirnside Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't play badly at all, but we just fell a little short in the end. At least we're not getting blown away as we were last year.

Can anyone provide an overview of how our AFL listed players performed tonight. I would greatly appreciate. It was very disappointing to hear that Ball wasn't playing though Sad

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:56 am

Jezza wrote:
We didn't play badly at all, but we just fell a little short in the end. At least we're not getting blown away as we were last year.

Can anyone provide an overview of how our AFL listed players performed tonight. I would greatly appreciate. It was very disappointing to hear that Ball wasn't playing though Sad

Hopefully some Nicksters got down to werribee. Tappng will do an overview of the players later in the week. Looking forward to his comments on Oxley.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:27 am

Adam Oxley

Quote:
Queensland rookie Adam Oxley was the revelation of the night at half back. The 20-year-old's ability to read the play and back himself overhead left a huge impression on the Chirnside Park crowd as did his willingness to push further up the wing to create and provide an attacking option out of defence.

Oxley kicked the goal of the night early in the first quarter when he left his man and sprinted inside 50 to spoil as Werribee switched the play. He then gathered his own spillage, took the ball at top pace, paused, and then snapped around the corner on his right foot from 30m out.

"I thought Adam Oxley was fantastic tonight," said Hahn.

"He certainly led the way through the air and played on the wing and high forward. He certainly showed a lot of positive aspects. I thought by far he was one of our better players."

Alan Didak and Andrew Krakouer

Quote:
Established AFL stars Alan Didak and Andrew Krakouer were typically creative in the centre and continued to gain momentum and contenting as they return from injury and fitness concerns.

The pair was busy all night, with Krakouer's ball-handling and trademark clean hands in close standing out.

Didak played as a high half forward for most of the evening but pushed deeper late in the match where he managed to dribble one of the goals of the night on his non-preferred right foot tight in the forward pocket.

"I think they performed their role for the team," reflected Hahn.

"Certainly Krak, I think, started to get running late in the game and was running on top of the ground. Dids' use through the midfield was really good."

Jarrod Witts

Quote:
Another to leave his mark included ruckman Jarrod Witts who locked horns with established state league ruckmen Daniel Currie and Majak Daw and held his own around the ground. He also dropped back behind the ball where his overhead marking proved important in stymying several of Werribee's forward thrusts.

"In terms of around the ground it was probably one of the better ones but I let myself down a bit in the centre bounces.

"I let (Daniel) Currie jump over my a little bit and get on top of me. I guess the around the ground stuff was alright but, yeah, the centre bounces let me down a bit.

"It obviously pretty difficult to take them both but that's what I was asked to do and I guess I tried to do that to the best of my abilities."

Witts' work rate after the centre bounces was a key factor behind Collingwood's ability to stick with their highly rated opponents all night.

He took several strong overhead marks in defence that are the hallmarks of a bona fide AFL ruckman and as always his tackling and competitiveness below his knees made him a difficult opponent once the ball hit the ground.

"Taps (VFL coach Dale Tapping) asked me to drop back in the hole a little bit so I tried to do that as much as possible and help out the defenders."

Defensive Development Coach Mitch Hahn was enthusiastic about Witts' willingness to stick to his guns all night.

"Wittsy's third quarter was enormous. He really worked hard to get us back into the game.

"He was up against Majak Daw and Daniel Currie who are both AFL prospects as well so it's really great for his development to see where he's at. I think he took the challenge on fairly well."

Josh Thomas

Quote:
Josh Thomas was industrious in the centre, winning his share of the ball in tight as well before becoming a dangerous option in space as where his ability to run the lines is quickly improving.

Luke Mason is doing an outstanding job covering the VFL team. These quotes come from two of his articles you can find posted on the clubs website.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-04-13/winning-a-little-learning-a-lot

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-04-13/vfl-pies-fall-short-under-lights[/quote]

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:30 am

Thanks for posting this MOTR and well done to Luke Mason for covering the VFL team outstandingly well.

Do you think there are any players threatening for team-selection in the main side next week against Richmond?

MOTR 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Didak is probably the closest to a recall. Both he and Krakouer are all class so either getting a recall wouldn't surprise me. Tappings reviews will give us an idea how close they are to AFL fitness

I'd like to see Witts get a game early so he can go back to the VFL knowing exactly what is needed at that top level. With his ability to play forward, playing Hudson and Witts in the same game might be an option. With 3 games in 12 days, Hudson will no doubt appreciate the support at some stage.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Very encouraging news on Oxley, sounds like he really took the game on, reads it very well, he has excellent footskills.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:40 pm

Really encouraged by the form of the VFL side.

When you consider that there are 9 senior players (Ball, Jolly, Beams, Grundy, Ramsay, Broomhead, Young, Keeffe & Maxwell) unavailable, Hartley from the Rookie list, and Sundberg and Boland from the VFL list, that's 12 fairly decent players to slot into the senior and VFL sides throughout 2013 season.

You add the fact that Dids, Krak and Williams are returning from layoffs and it is extremely encouraging.

I'm on the "Pies VFL side for finals in 2013" bandwagon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: