Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

If we sign a gun for next year will we be premiership favs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angel 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that rebuilding his better. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a guy develop from scratch. I am afraid I can't warm to Woewodin the way I do to one of our own who has come good after years of nurturing. We do have a lot of players from other clubs on our books.
Adz 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:52 pm

Nathan Brown Smile Smile Any good solid backman we could pick up. I also agree, we have enough mid fielders.
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:48 pm

Port have 10 uncontracted players (at the limits of their cap too), among which are Brogan and Lade.

The former looks very appertising. Is a developing ruckman with a very good leap and good round the ground play.
peter_pies4ever 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:45 pm

We need another leaping mobile ruckman that can assist Josh
chalky 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:34 am

I realise that we're all getting a little "toey" considering our GF performance last yr. But consider how we got there. We nurtured and developed young players with the assistance of a few hardened bodies. But even they had to be of the "right character" as MM puts it. Hence our rejection of some players after they speak to him. eg Heath Black?
Crows have invested alot in Carey, emotionally and financially in order to win a premiership NOW. quick fix. and it will backfire on them I fear.
Collingwood have been about development for the future and for the longer term. We have always been on the right track. Let's just go the distance. It's just over the next hill Wink A "gun" should be for the future, a frachise player, one who sees the future, as Ed and MM do, like Bucks, Tarrant, Fraser, Dids, Rocca and now Clemo. These players at other clubs are rare and will cost money, some heartache and could prove divisive.
The alternative is to spend wisely on players who will do a job for the team not for their own personal agendas ie head- up-arse syndrome. There are many more of these hardworking footballers around who may be worth prioritising first IMO
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:44 am

Nathan Brown - please, do we really want a guy who can't play? please - James Clement would towel him to the ground and then some, and does. Brown isn't what we want. besides the fact that we don't need another forward, or midfielder, Brown isn't hard enough at the ball to be either!! He's good on the lead, but other than that, an oppourtunistic, behind the play forward is not on our shopping list!!

I wouldn't worry too much about trading til we see who MM uses from Willy - in terms of backmen and ruck. it'll be interesting to see who steps up. Josh could use a hand, if for nothing else to set him up forwards a bit more, but he doesn't need it.

- Ben
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:53 am

peter_pies4ever wrote:
We need another leaping mobile ruckman that can assist Josh

We've got two - Cameron Cloke and Guy Richards. Both are playing very well at Williamstown and MM expects them to debut within the next 12 months.

Josh will have assistance from Rocca and McKee in the meantime to help spread the load.

To go and buy a readymade - a Darcy or Brogan, say - compromises the careers of two youngsters who we've already put time, money and effort into developing. They will deserve their chance when it comes, and all indications are it's coming sooner rather than later.

The Weed

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:10 am

chalky wrote:
The alternative is to spend wisely on players who will do a job for the team not for their own personal agendas ie head- up-arse syndrome. There are many more of these hardworking footballers around who may be worth prioritising first IMO

Excellent point chalky. Who had heard of Andrew Williams before this year? Ditto Jimmy Clement before he was drafted east. These were middle-ranking players who have bettered both their own careers and the team since coming to Collingwood.

So-called franchise recruits are rare. We were very lucky to get a player the calibre of Woewodin, and those who are disappointed or who simply don't rate him, it seems to me, are the ones that peg him solely as a Brownlow Medallist. But when he won the Brownlow, he was the gun midfielder in a side short of guns. At Collingwood he has joined a stacked midfield, and is expected to play more of a supporting role. People forget that he initially made his name as a defensive tagger .

But Woewodin's recruitment has come at a price, too. Now we are seeing how much more difficult it is for Mark McGough and Heath Scotland to break into the side. We loved McGough from his first two games and I personally would like nothing better than to see him develop into a permanent ruck-rover. How will we feel if a player we took to our hearts after that incredible Anzac Day performance asks to be traded, because he can't get a run in the seniors any more?

If a Nathan Brown, a Luke Darcy, a Nick Stevens, a Chris Judd express interest in coming to Collingwood, then we can expect the club to try to secure their services because they are quality, proven players. They will at the very least be sounded out. But no such deals will be painless. Only those that will benefit players and clubs on both sides should be sealed.

The Weed

Madeleine Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:49 pm

Brogan would be a nice pick-up and Cam Cloke could be used as a key position player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: