Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Overachieved

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did we overachieve in 2002
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 60

M@®© Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:43 pm
Post subject: OverachievedReply with quote

1995 - 10th
1996 - 11th
1997 - 10th
1998 - 14th
1999 - 16th
2000 - 15th
2001 - 9th
2002 - runners Up
2003 - ?

We did well in 2002 but it was a huge step forward compared to previous seasons maybe we overachieved and maybe expect to much now ?

http://collingwood.rules.it/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
AGE Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we expect too much this year.

But really I don't have the same confidence this year as I did last year.
Nobody knew we would finish 2nd last year, but I honestly thought all year we were a genuine threat for the flag.

This year with a supposedly better list of players, more experience, I just don't have the same confidence this time round.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:03 am

No such thing as over acheiving. It's called playing to potential.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
pepstar 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:21 am

we are playing as if we will just fall into the top four. We are missing our hunger from the last couple of years.
MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:08 am

I think we were where we should have been last year. We played tough, accountable football for most of the season. Our boys also had self-belief, confidence in themselves and their team-mates and a desire and hunger like no other team.

I'd say we're under-achieving this year. I don't think we should make excuses but I still wonder if the physcological effect of losing the big one last year by such a close margin, losing the pre-season GF and then the added pressure and expectations on the team's shoulders this year is weighing them down.

Hopefully this week off will give them the opportunity to clear the cobwebs, discard the weight of the last 10 months off their shoulders and get last year's state of mind back. We were the hunted at the start of this season but that's no longer the case - we have to get the HUNTER mentality back and start playing with more hunger and desperation. We've been able to do it on and off this season but the key is consistency.

Finals football is still on the cards this season but if we want to really compete and gain the respect we deserve we really need to fire up for a big second half of the season and play the football we know our talented team are capable of.

GO PIES!
Marg
magpie willow 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:29 am

Of course we didnt over-achieve that is bulldust.

Last year we beleived in ourseleves and focused on the job nearly every game and thats what made us so good and grand final contenders.

I still got the feeling that if we can regroup and start beleiving in ourseleves and start playing the four quarters we need to we will storm home to the finals and once again be flag contenders.

By the way how much money are we for the flag this year.

CARN THE PIES!!!!
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:39 am

Overachieve? What a load of utter crap. Overachievement is a term used by supporters when they have to face the uncomfortable fact that they were unexpectedly beaten by a better team. For instance, Hawthorn didn't 'overachieve' yesterday, they beat us convincingly and resoundingly because they played better football.

If someone could give me an intelligent (believable) definition of 'overachieve' in a game of football I would appreciate it. I assume that it means to perform at a level higher than your ability allows. Anyone smell an oxymoron? If that's overachievement then give more of it.

The trouble with inventing a word to fit a situation is that it seems to give the situation credibility - all of a sudden it has a word to describe it so it must be real.

We finished second last year because we won our way into second place... we actually lost our way into 2nd place, but lets not get distracted. As Blanch said, we achieved our potential.
hotpies 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:36 pm

this issue comes up each time a side gets to a grand final game, and loses, then the next year, the supporters reckon the boys should just get into the Finals like a cakewalk. 2003 will be seen as the birth of some of the greatest ever Football teams with their strength, speed, and agility, like Brisbane, Port Adelaide, and the West Coast Eagles all looking for premiership flags, these next 5 years for Collingwood are going to be the toughest time to gain a premiership flag for us, the finals are going to be much tougher this year if we get in, with Port Adelaide nearly all their players having finals experience now, and West Coast almost defient to get in there, we will have to travel over to W.A if we don't finish in the top 4 at the start of September. We must learn to play the same style of Footy week in week out, good hard footy every second of the 100 minutes game.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:45 pm

This issue has been discussed before. Instead of "overachieving" it probably should be looked as being ahead of your expectations at that time.

In all honesty no-one can say in truth we were expected to play in the GF in 2002 at the end of 2001. However our 2001 form was better than you might expect. I bring this up again, a total of 4 games lost by a margin of 10 points or less, a total of 8 games lost by 20 points or less. The remarkable thing is that we were not that far away from being a top 4 side in 2001.

Our 2003 side is, on paper, a very good team, they just have to believe it. The difference is having the confidence (not arrogance) to win any game that you play.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:48 pm

Ah, well in that case. Huh. . . . Tell me more. . . . .
Joe 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:12 pm

y
Your funny hal.
What chemicals r u on mate.lol
falconBA 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:39 pm

i think they are taking teams to lightly. Remember last year when they absolutely trashd carlton (wasnt it great Very Happy ) and malthouse said something like why be proud of winning by that much and it seemd that he was disapointd, i think we need to act as if we want to thrash every side and no matter how much we are winning by dont slack off. It lookd as if we wasnt even trying the other day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: