Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Scared Of Winning

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 2:45 pm
Post subject: Scared Of WinningReply with quote

Are we scared to win a game of footy?? I know it sounds ridiculous to even ask but given the losses and margins and winnable positions we had in each of the lost games,it frustrates me that just when we think we can get over the line we lack the killer instinct to actually get over it. Malthouse calls it a losers mentality and one ingrown with in the clubs psyche over the last 5 years. I plead with the guys ...start thinking like winners and take advantage of your maturing minds & bodies and make yourselves hero's to us all. We can no longer use excuses ie age/experiance when we have enough talent to go around at Collingwood. WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN ROCCA KICK EASY GOALS WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

Louis

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 5:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they have a loser's mentality Louis, I think they have a large dose of inexperience coupled with huge ability.

They haven't been convincingly beaten so far this season, they've lost the games. That could be construed as a losing mentality - throwing away games that are within reach, but I don't think so.

It was on display for us all to see today: the change of pace after 6 unanswered goals. The kids out there thought they had it won, in their inexperience they completely underestimated the age and experience of the roos - and, unbelievably, they started playing kick to kick and slowing the game down. Destroyed our run and lost the game.

It happened against Essendon too, in front, over confident and they took the pressure off - and reaped the penalty. They'll learn, but they're on a steep learning curve and will have a few hiccups along the way.

Let's not get too depressed by this. We've had the toughest draw in the comp. and have come through with 3 out of 7 and could have won any of the 4 that were lost. They're still looking a much better team with a lot more promise than the team that won 5 on the trot last season. We've come a long way, don't let your expectations spoil the ride.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 5:47 pm

I'm not really depressed by our loss, just pissed off that we had it in the bag. Such a small margin between joy and sorrow.
Like all true Collingwood fans, I bleed B&W blood with every wasted opportunity, I spilt a gallon today.

-Craig

The Phoenix Is Arising

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 13 May 2001).]

Hiya-and-Higher 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 1:37 am

My thoughts exactly Mike.

I never expected to seriously challenge for the top 4 this year, not because we haven't the ability but because most of the opposition are established teams with a great many talented and hard headed pressure players. When the crunch comes an old experienced head will likely outdo a talented young gun. This year isn't over yet by a long chalk, and I expect by its end we'll have a lot of things ironed out. We might still surprise. It's going to be a very close competition this year.

For the first time in years we KNOW that we're not just making up the numbers...we KNOW this is just the beginning...we KNOW we'll get better!

ytry4 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 3:13 am

One thing that confused me is when there were 5 minuts or so remaining in the game, and we sort of relaxed. There was one pasage where the players sort of stopped. We could have buried them at that stage, but we let them back in. I sensed that we would lose again after that. I thought we could bea them by 30 points if we kept on going..?

Let's get ready for the Round 9 game, cos we're really gonna get our backsides kicked back to Victoria this Saturday night! I think my mentality is changing towards the nature of Alf's.

Go PIES 2001

MargOZ Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 7:24 am

Craig, I know exactly what you mean about bleeding b&w blood! I think yesterdays loss was a lot more painful than the Richmond loss for example as we were SOOOOOOOOO close against the Roos and really should have held on in the last quarter and won the match.

I'd never be anything other than a Collingwood supporter but boy do they know how to break my heart!

GO PIES!

Marg

DaicosForever 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2001 11:19 am

Yeah I echo everyone's thoughts totally. I remeber watching an interview with Ivan Lendl many years ago. He was questioned about his inability to make an impact in the world of tennis before the age of 24 and remarked that 'U cant appreciate victory if you dont experiance the pain of defeat'....I thought this could relate to any aspect in life and thought it to be very appropriate. And 24 hrs later and somewhat emotionally drained I realise we have to pay our dues before we can improve I guess we will experiance the same once we get to play finals series football.Most of those North players did.Credit to them for staving off an improving Collingwood outfit. I guess my frustration extended to missed opportunity yesterday... certain players seemed destined not to fulfill their potential and I guess that goes with any sport its just frustrating when u see it at Collingwood....

Louis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: