Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie....Lets ask the audience???

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 3:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:

And home games should be played at home.

This issue is about the principle of home games (i.e. that they should be played at HOME ... i.e. in Melbourne) and the fairness of the draw.

Alf, I see your point but to me Home games are not in melbourne in my view. Home games are at McHale Stadium and that is never going to happen. We don't have a home ground that we play games at. The G and the Dome are not home grounds. How can you say that Ess V Coll at the G is a home game for anyone?

Have a look at the stats over recent years of interstate clubs at "home" - the oval they train on. Ask the dockers what their record against the eagles is like. Eagles train at subi most days, dockers at freo oval.

The MCG and Telstra Dome are neutral grounds and for us to say that its a "home" game at one of these grounds is rather humorous to me. How many "home" games a year do we get? If I look at some peoples arguments of TD and the G being home ground then we play roughly 18 home games. I say we play 0 home games because McHale stadium is the only ground where we will get an advantage.

It looks like I may have to disagree with some on this one (and that's ok) but to me Melbourne is not Home, McHale Stadium is.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 8:05 pm

You make a fair point, Blanch. Really, the whole concept of a home GROUND advantage for Victorian clubs has been eroded bit by bit over recent decades.

It probably started in 1965 when Richmond started playing at the M.C.G. Then, in the 80s or thereabouts, a lot of Collingwood games started getting moved if the VFL thought the crowd would be too big for Victoria Park. Then in the 90s a lot of clubs started making the M.C.G. their home match venue. Hawthorn and St.Kilda opted for Waverley, but then the AFL stuffed them up by closing Waverley and starting up Docklands ... and now the only Victorian clubs who've got a real home ground any more are Geelong and Carlton. But even Geelong and Carlton have to play a lot of their home games at the MCG or the Docklands.

So, really ... the home GROUND concept is all but dead in Victoria.

So, I guess all we've got is the home STATE advantage when we play a team from another city. That means our players don't have to travel in a plane. And they get to play in front of a crowd that is mostly supportive of them. It also means that the vast majority of our supporters can just hop on a tram on the day of the match rather than travel all night on a bus or shell out a lifetime's savings for a plane.

Now, I understand how unfair this might seem to Collingwood supporters based in other cities. But it's the last remnant that we've got of a link between a football Club and the geographical location that it's named after. Collingwood is a suburb of Melbourne. We may not play matches in Collingwood any more ... but at least the M.C.G. or the Docklands is geographically a lot closer to Collingwood than Homebush, Moore Park, Wooloongabba, West Lakes or Subiaco.

If clubs start playing their home games all over the place, then that last remaining link is lost ... and the whole concept of Collingwood becomes meaningless. You might as well call the team EMIRATES, because they'll be spending so much time on planes it'll be the only home they've got. (I wonder which club will get to call themselves the VIRGINS Laughing )
Afro-Orfa Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 3:38 pm

I think the club should at least go to the memebrs - ask us whether we want home games in Sydney - if we have enuf interstate members then so be it - although I am sure the overwhelming majority of COllingwood members prefer home games in Melbounre - particularly at the G !!!

Go Pies!
DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 8:49 pm

Ok, I see whats happening. You melbourne ppl. I know its your team, but for shits sake its also mine. Im not a member of the club yet, and the sole reason is becasue I cant join and get my badge without getting a season ticket.

Yes PP2003, I am lucky to see matches on tele, and I stay up and watch them until 3 and 4 in the morning.

If you are against your club growing, then as far as I am concerned, you are not true supporters. A true supporter is someone who puts their club above themselves. A true supporter is someone who travels to see their team play week in week out, and If he cannot get to the game, then he works out a way to atleast hear the scores.

Collingwood could do alot worse then play One match in Sydney next year. The could play one in Launceston.

As for home ground advantage, like said eariler, there is none in Melbourne. Advantage is gained at Victoria Park, not the MCG. Just like advantage would be agained playing in sydney. Collingwood have a base up here, and only need to play one match a year. Dont play a big match, but a shit one like us v st kilda or something....

Im a magpie and Im damn proud of it, its just a shame that some people try to hold themselves higher then the club

McGuane's 77 Bounces 

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:48 am

Well said Taz in the pocket, hope to see you at the aussie rules club at 9.30 to watch the Port game.
Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:22 am

So what some of you are saying, is that Home games in Melbourne is more important then helping to promote not only the AFL in Sydney, but AFL's Greatest club? I remember a very long time ago, Fitzroy playing Essendon in Tasmania, and also playing the Eagles in Tasmania (winning both games infact) AFL became not just a Victorian game, it became an Australian game. The league is no longer just with Victorian teams, playing interstate isn't a going to be every game, just 2 of them. What is the matter with 2 Sydney Home games?

Tasmania gets 4 AFL games a year, none are Collingwood games, but the fact that the AFL is actually getting promoted here is good for the game. And good for the 2 clubs aswelll (take a look at Hawthorn's membership numbers in Tasmania) Now, if Collingwood played down here would you guys still be pissed off? Half of the Collingwood fans in Australia wish they could see a game. But they can't, why not let the Sydney magpie fans have 2 great weeks each year?

Let's just see the crowd numbers before we damn the games in Sydney, in the long run it will work out good for the Magpies.

DidakinthePocket 

FIGJAM

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:11 pm

Hey hey! McGuane's 77 Bounces, I hope to get to it. Im not working the next day, but im just a bit edgy about going to the cross... Worst case Ill stay up here and watch it, unlike some of the melbourne "supporters" who won't even listen to the call on 3AW driving home...

Heres another point what makes is so hard for us sydney supporters too;

There is no radio station with in range of Sydney which covers the AFL matches other then those of South Melbourne. last night I was listening in my room for a bit, and I had to tune in to 2AY in albury! They were taking the 3AW call. The afl could do alot to build the game here if they allowed stations in sydney, and even sponsored them, to take the AFL match of the day.

Rugby League is dead - LONG LIVE COLLINGWOOD!

joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:41 am

We have to move with the times just like we are doing with moving from our spiritual home victoria park i personally have no probs with collingwood say having 2 home games in sydney i wouldnt like to see anymore than 2 games though, and i'd like to know what financial benefits would come our way, we are like it or not in a competition thats well and truly Australian wide.
If it did happen i'd like the club to have very cheap packages for members wishing to see any home games in sydney maybe off load some of the financial benefits by playing in sydney to assure that all members from melb can affordably go see the game.
We cannot however offend the huge melb supporter base in the hope off making some inroad into the sydney market, by all means lets do it but lets bring everyone along..

I can see colless crappin his dacks now!!

Joffa Corfe

email.. joffa@magpies.net
joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:45 am

And look at the benefits we might even get wayne jackson in the rooms after a sydney home game singing the club song with us geez that'd be a real hoot !!

Joffa Corfe

ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 10:41 pm

I have no problems with Collingwood playing Away games in Sydney (the more the merrier). I feel that the home link should stay as close to the spiritual home as possible. There is no chance of McHale stadium being resurrected so I think that the home games should stay in Melbourne.

Go Pies! You are doing us Proud.

Carol

joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 12:30 am

ck_nd wrote:
I have no problems with Collingwood playing Away games in Sydney (the more the merrier). I feel that the home link should stay as close to the spiritual home as possible. There is no chance of McHale stadium being resurrected so I think that the home games should stay in Melbourne.

Go Pies! You are doing us Proud.

Carol

Well thats a bit double dutched carol what benefits would collingwood get from playing AWAY games is sydney Wink

Joffa Corfe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: