Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies draw

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:45 am
Post subject: Pies drawReply with quote

If you look at our draw this year at the start of the year it didnt' look too bad, WC and the swans in melb, for example, richmond first up should've been easy etc. But now 1/3 of the way through the season it's turned out that we've played 6 of the teams in the top 8!

So our 4-4 might not be as bad as it looks, when you consider Richmond 6-2 (third place) and west coasts 6-2 (second) came from playing three teams in the top eight, and Brisbanes 6-1-1 came from four teams in the top eight, as did ports 5-3.

of course you have to remember that one game (ie. we lost to them) out of eight makes them more lkely to be in the eight, but after eight games it's a fairly good indication of where teams stand.

also, what's the point of doing well if we can't beat brissy, west coast etc because we'll have to meet them in the finals anyway.

so the point of the post - even though we have to improve by the end of the year, and I think we will, our 4-4 is not as bad as it looks when compared to richmond, west coast etc, and we're not doomed to miss the finals just because of our poor start.

We play 7 games of which 2 teams are in the top eight, so we should be looking to win most of those games, five at least, and I don't think people would be too unhappy about 9-6 at round 15. That would be a good platform to launch a finals campaign from, if we've good enough.

If we don't improve, we'll still be 9-6 at least, but it won't be much use to us!!

GO PIES!!

- Ben
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post and some quality points. The team should be aiming to be atleast 9-6 by round 15, it is imperitive.
Doska_1984 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:50 am

I know where your coming from, but we shouldn't think like that. We were runners up next year and teams should be thinking like that when they play us. We should be looking to beat any team that steps on the park with us, not looking at the draw and saying s*it we play Brisbane, Adelaide etc.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:12 pm

the draw for next 10 or so weeks:

st kilda TD (n)
power AMMI (n)
demons MCG
hawks MCG
bulldogs TD (n)
kangaroos TD (n)
fremantle MCG
richmond MCG (n)
carlton MCG
geelong TD (n)

NOW if we dont win atleast 7 or 8 of them, we shouldnt be in the 8 this year.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:48 pm

Good point Doska - like I said, there is NO point winning all our next 8 games if we don't improve enough to beat Brisbane, West Coast etc the second time we play them and in the finals, because we might as well not make the finals.

But it is interesting to see that we are probably about where Richmond, Victoria's last and only hope according to some, would be in our situation. It's almost as if we aren't as good as we should be (need to be) but everyone else sucks too, it's just hte draw that is different.

I think we have improved a lot since anzac day, but we still need to lift an extra notch to knock off the better sides in the competition.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:28 pm

Good post, Ben.

After perusing the draw for the next 10 games, 14/4 looks good to me. I think we'll replace Richmond in the top four.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Brown26 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:39 pm

richmond will have to play very well to stay top 8
dillo_09 Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:44 pm

All of the next 10 are definately winnable so 14-4 will be a good position to be in leading up to the finals.

Here is how I see the next 10 games -

st kilda TD (n) - Should win
power AMMI (n) - 50/50 Game. We play well at AAMI, but Port will be looking for revenge.
demons MCG - Win
hawks MCG - Win
bulldogs TD (n) - Win
kangaroos TD (n) - Win
fremantle MCG - Should win. Lucky it is in Melb.
richmond MCG (n) - 50/50 based on current form, Tigers are playing good footy ATM, may not be in 7 weeks from now.
carlton MCG - Win
geelong TD (n) - Win,

Even if we drop 2 games, 12-6 wont be so bad.

Biggest incentive to make the 8 is that it looks like it will be full of interstate sides, possibly all 6. Therefore, with the AFL's contract at the G, we may get a final or two in Melbourne that we don't necessarily deserve.
I@n S 

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 2:56 pm

What sucks for me is that we don't play at the MCG again till the Melbourne game. The AFL fixtures are always pathetic. Whats with the TD obesstion around that time of the season?
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:00 pm

On paper, it is easy to say we can win all 10 (at least 9). But we would have penciled in Sydney and WC at home as wins, too. And what happened? We lost both. Remember, 18 men are against 18 other men, not names versus names.

Realistically, the fact that teams are so even, we could easily LOSE all 10.

But I do think we're good enough to win most of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: