Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Could this be a sign of things to come?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:56 am
Post subject: Could this be a sign of things to come?Reply with quote

The ABC has made demands of the TSL to continue the cover, they've asked for more money, and are trying to demand that there be one venue for every TV game throughout the season. The TSL has said no to paying more, and have asked other clubs to try and help them out.

North Launceston and South Launceston have said no to the paying of 2,500 to get the TSL back on the ABC. Could the ABC soon make the same demands of other state leagues?

Other state leagues have been having the same old row with the ABC this year, it seemed as if the SANFL were close to losing their broadcast deal. The issue I have here is, the ABC and TSL have already agreed upon a deal, and then the ABC came up with this new issue.

Surely the existing deal cannot be changed suddenly? But anyway, it seems that without the help of the TSL clubs there may not be any broadcasts of the TSL next season.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the result of years of funding cuts to the ABC, overseen by successive governments on both sides of federal parliament. And then you get governments that come in and show no interest in restoring funding to the ABC. What little money the ABC does have (compared to that of the commercial networks) is wasted on stupid tenders that end up being a waste of time (the Australia Network tender is a prime example) and endless publicity for outsourced productions.

Just a side note: ABC News24 has been funded by the corporation, not out of new funding, but by cutbacks and "efficiencies" in other departments. In other words, a shoe-string budget. Half the programs on the channel aren't even "news" per se, they're just repeats of previously aired shows (al beit excellent ones, such as Four Corners and Foreign Correspondent). Hence, the channel has earned the derogatory nickname "ABC News 12".

But I digress, so back to the footy.

I have a dream of seeing two VFL games on TV per weekend, one on a Saturday, one on a Sunday. Hell, even night football on the ABC would be great, both from a fan's perspective and for the VFL. Sadly, that is not going to happen.

There is a good blog on the subject of the ABC and it's future direction below. Of particular note is the cuts to ABC production in Tasmania, including the footy.

Regarding the ABC's demands to the TSL, Prototype, have the ABC publicly stated where they want the games played? I heard Bellrieve Oval was the preferred venue, because of the existing broadcast facilities (hence the lack of need for the outside broadcast van). York Park would be a similar prospect, wouldn't it, given it too has existing broadcast facilities?

The clubs (North and South Launceston) are quite within their rights to tell the ABC where to get off. After all, telecasts of local sport are among the sundry other reasons why the good people of Tasmania pay their taxes to fund the public broadcaster.

I do hope both sides can reach a satisfactory outcome. It would be a massive blow, I think, to not just the TSL, but to the cause of Australian rules football in Tasmania if the ABC does not cover the TSL after this year.

To think that the ABC once had the money to broadcast the old VFL in 1987...

PS: That blog I was talking about:
http://yourabcworthfightingfor.blogspot.com/

Last edited by MagpieBat on Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:28 am

Could they put games on Youtube like the NT State League?
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Spot on with your post, MagpieBat, there are clubs fearing for the youth of Tasmanian football and thinking that some may not get a chance without the ABC. The broadcasts, and the uploading of ABC footage for Aaron Hall helped him get drafted.

Tasmanian Government should look at finding a way to fund this, maybe Wrest Point can put in some money they are the major sponsors of the league.

Win TV has already cut local news from their broadcasts on the weekends, so no Tasmanian footy scores, no Tassie footy even mentioned on there.

Dave The Man wrote:
Could they put games on Youtube like the NT State League?

I would think that would be the next step if they cannot resolve this issue.

Two TSL clubs are willing to pay, and have urged others, but some cannot pay. I am guessing one of these clubs was Glenorchy.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:01 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Spot on with your post, MagpieBat, there are clubs fearing for the youth of Tasmanian football and thinking that some may not get a chance without the ABC. The broadcasts, and the uploading of ABC footage for Aaron Hall helped him get drafted.

Tasmanian Government should look at finding a way to fund this, maybe Wrest Point can put in some money they are the major sponsors of the league.

Win TV has already cut local news from their broadcasts on the weekends, so no Tasmanian footy scores, no Tassie footy even mentioned on there.

Thank you. Very Happy

You are absolutely right about the exposure of young players. But I doubt the state government is in a position to find money for TSL broadcasts, given its publicised budget problems. Still, it is a sport matter, and we know how the pollies love the PR of sport, especially state premiers who are fighting off the noises of a leadership challenge. So maybe the money can be found after all... Wink

See, that's why I think the ABC would privately be ecstatic about the VFL Grand Final being played at Etihad: state-of-the-art broadcast facilities are already there, so no need to ship in the broadcast van or other heavy-duty equipment. Same applies with Kardinia Park, when they televise Geelong matches down there. There's already a broadcast box, so leave the van at home.

The problem with having the VFL grannie at Docklands is, of course, the fact that a crowd of 15,000 in a 54,000 seat stadium loks bad on TV. Would look much better on TV (and would probably be better for the fans) to move it back to Pricefixer Park, where it used to be played. But are the broadcast facilities still there, following the redevelopment?

Perhaps the clubs and the state leagues could stump up the money to install broadcast facilities at their grounds. Nothing flashy, just a portable wired up for internet radio or TV that the ABC could make use of. It might even enable clubs to do internet radio broadcasts of their own games when they are not on TV... Smile

Either that, or Canberra could restore proper funding to the ABC, so that we don't have this problem in the first place... Rolling Eyes

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:42 pm

I reckon that the Government needs to restore some funding, local sport needs to be covered, and these local sports stars are what our future is at international level. Whether it be the bowls, hockey, tennis, etc. These people playing locally should get their exposure.

On the levy..

TSL LEVY FOR ABC GAMES: WHOS FOR AND AGAINST

FOR: Burnie, Clarence, Lauderdale
AGAINST: Hobart, South Launceston, Devonport, North Launceston (according to an examiner article)
UNDECIDED: Launceston
UNKNOWN: North Hobart, Glenorchy.

Hobart was against because they felt 24 hours was not sufficient amount of time to decide.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:29 am

Tasmanian State League could be back on the ABC, but the TSL is telling the ABC they are not the only broadcaster they are talking to. It would be interesting to see which gets the win in this.

We have TDT, Southern Cross, Win, and the rest of the digital channels, Southern Cross will be out as they will be showing the AFL from Seven.

TDT is our channel ten, so some local content on these "Hobart" channels would be nice.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:50 am

Might the TSL have spoken to Foxtel? They are the broadcaster of the state league champions competition (named after them) after all, and with the new footy channel coming in, that could free up one of the 3 Fox Sports channels for state league football, maybe... Confused

The ABC's triennial funding arrangements with the federal government are up for renewal this year, so it should be interesting to see what the ABC puts in its submission for more money...

Also, I see that the TSL has re-worked the fixture to try wrest the slide in crowd numbers. Wednesday night footy, eh?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-17/tsl-football-aims-for-revamp/3779416

Is that Peter Gee, who used to call the old VFA in the late '80s and early 90's?

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:12 pm

I'd assume that they either spoke to Foxtel, or tried to get it on another station, Foxtel probably would provide more revenue. A lot of homes in Tasmania have Austar now, I doubt it would have spoken to Win after they dumped local news on the weekends.

And that it is, he's been a main fixture of ABC Tasmanian news for as long as I can remember.

The TSL fixture with the night games helps Glenorchy put on TSL and SFL double headers, I am not sure if they will get more people but it's worth a shot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: