Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 8 - Collingwood v Williamstown at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daicos Mullets 

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The boys tried very hard today, but used the ball poorly going into our forward line & we didn't really have an effective target inside 50. Injuries to Bolton & Young took their toll in the 2nd half & the boys looked completely out on their feet by the end of the game. You can tell we're really lacking the bigger bodied players with a proper endurance base, like Lockyer, O'Bree, etc from last year.

I thought Keefe looked much better in the ruck contests when he could get a run at it, rather than static, body-on-body contests. A couple of times in the centre he followed up the tap/contest & got clearing kicks into our forward line.

Perham tried really hard & his work-rate was good, but he couldn't do enough, couldn't take enough marks, couldn't win enough contests. He shanked a shocking kick straight to a Willy player in the 4th qtr, which led directly to a goal. He was very disappointed with himself, because he'd done well to win the ball in the first place. I know it's early, but unless he improves significantly, I can't see him playing AFL footy, which would be disappointing, because he really looks like he has the desire.

I like the look of Seedsman, did some good chases, including a goal saving tackle, & put himself in harm's way a few times. He needs to put on some bulk, but he shows some promise.

Very good game again by Reed. Cut off a number of forward entries from Willy & has good pace, but butchers the ball a bit some times. Lacks a bit of awareness, he & Cribbin mucked up a contest on the wing, which led directly to a Willy goal. He defenitely looks a lot better down back than up forward.

Young seems to be getting back towards his 2010 form. Got injured in the last quarter, not sure what it was. I thought he clutched his hammy when I first saw it, but when he came off he seemed to be pointing to/rubbing his shin. I'd like to see him play AFL footy this year, but he probably still needs a bit more development.

Ugle was thrown into the middle a bit today, particularly after Bolton went off. Did some really good chasing & tackling. Also did some good one touch, first option passes. His pace & quick decision making look promising.

Dick was dangerous when the ball was near him, but didn't appear to do a lot else. A bit tough for him, because he played deep for much of the game, but he probably needs to get more involved in the game.

Not sure where Rounds is at. He got a bit of the ball, but didn't seem to use it all that well. Needs to put his body on the line a bit more. He's had quite a few injuries, but I'd reckon it's make or break for him in his 3rd year.

I thought K Pendlebury did pretty well on Barry Hall, a much bigger, stronger & more skilled opponent. Hall looked dangerous all day, but Pendlebury tried very hard & beat him a few times.

I think Gordon was on Hall a bit too & seemed to do ok, took some nice marks. Looks lost when the ball is below his knees though. The ball skittled him a few times, leading to some easy Willy possessions in their forward line.

Ceglar presented well in the forward line, but got beaten on most occasions, either not marking it, or even getting out-marked. Played a bit in the ruck also. Didn't have a great game today, but worth persisting with though.

Shae competes well enough in the ruck, but doesn't know where to tap it. He also doesn't know where to run to in general play around the ground. Did a half-arsed chase coming out of our forward line in the 3rd qtr, which was disappointing, because Willy mucked it up & if he'd chased hard, the Pies would probably have ended up with the ball & an easy shot on goal. I'd love to see him come good, but mark this experiment down as a failure in my view.

I didn't really notice Cribbin today, apart from his mix-up with Reed on the wing.

I'd be very surprised if Fasolo didn't play AFL footy this year. He's still got areas to work on, but he looks the most complete of our untried players at this stage.

I only really noticed Farmer when he did something wrong, but I wasn't really looking out for him either. Needs to put his body on the line a bit more I think.

Not sure what to make of Reilly. He's a skinny bugger, but managed to take some nice marks & kick 3 goals. Needs to add endurance & a lot of bulk, but he has shown a bit also.

Sundberg is hard at it, in & under & courageous. Took some strong marks & contested some others when he could easily have decided not to. His disposal isn't great, he can turn it over a bit & his kicking lacks some penetration, but there's no questioning his effort. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been rookie listed to be honest.

3RRR

The Pies are back at Vic Park!
ItwasoutHarmes 

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:08 pm

Some great footy from the boys today. They hung in there and in the end could not stay with the bigger bodies.
Worried about Shae - he needs to learn how to use his body in the contests, all contests not just the ruck. If someone works on this with him he will be much more effective around the ground. Hang in there big fella, it takes time to learn our game.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 pm

Presti#1Fan wrote:
^^

No he didnt. Deserves a crack against the Crows for his efforts latly though.

Leaping Leroy might not have come up, so there's a chance that J-Mac may play.

Just looking at the VFL ladder, we're 9th with a really bad percentage. We need to take advantage next week against Coburg. We need a big win.

Coburg play Frankston tomorrow, and both teams havnt won a game yet. Exciting stuff.

Port plays Bendigo and we should hope that the Borough smash them.

Frankston actually made a pretty good go of it last week against the Bullants, losing by only 16 points against the grand finalists of the last two years. Should be interesting to see if the Dolphins can take the points against Coburg. Match is at Craigieburn, which is Coburg's "second" home ground.

Port are the frontrunners for the flag, but the Bombers have really improved this year (as us VFL Magpie supporters would be aware Sad ). Should be an interesting match.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:42 pm

EDIT. The dreaded double...

Last edited by MagpieBat on Mon May 23, 2011 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:30 am

I think the Bendigo team will be hurt by Essendon's injuries. They would have lost a few players that got the call up to the AFL side.

I think Port should win by about 5 goals.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 am

Daicos Mullets wrote:
I like the look of Seedsman, did some good chases, including a goal saving tackle, & put himself in harm's way a few times. He needs to put on some bulk, but he shows some promise.

...That's my boy.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Port won by seven goals, while Coburg lost to Frankston.

Collingwood should be looking for a big win next week!!

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:25 am

(After taking a quick perusal of the fixture...)

Cats take on the Bombers at Kardinia Park. Geelong are still winless and, despite the game being a curtain-raiser at the Kattery, will be beaten by Bendigo.

Coburg also winless. They have the home ground advantage, but our recent form should see us get home comfortably. We need a strong result to boost a woeful percentage, as previously noted.

Preston have dived a little in the last fortnight, with a 16 point win over lowly Frankston and a bruising loss to Werribee by 42 points. They play Box Hill, who are not travelling well either. They went down by 19 against North Ballarat, and only have two wins this season. At Princes Park, Bullants should win.

Williamstown v Casey at Chirnside Park. Both travelling reasonably well this year, will be the match of the round to watch (from a spectator's point of view, that is).

Werribee will probably win against Sandy at Chirnside Park. Zebras are in the middle of a tough stretch away from Beach Road.

Port, Frankston and North all have the bye.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:49 am

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/114576/default.aspx

Quote:
23. Lachlan Keeffe (10d, 2m, 1t): In the ruck and had some good hitouts. Game time was limited due to his emergency status for the senior side.

25. Tom Young (16 d, 6m, 1t): Played an important role. Beat his opponent and worked back to help out his teammates. 

33. Brad Dick (15d, 1m, 3g, 1t): Kicked three goals but wasn’t a standout. Normally he has that spark.

35. Alex Fasolo (28d, 5m, 4t): Good. Racked them up again playing middle and up forward. Six inside 50s and six rebound 50s.

38. Scott Reed (24d, 8m, 4t): Excellent. His first three games of the year were below par but after moving him down back, his attitude has lifted. 

40. Paul Seedsman (18d, 2m, 4t): Got a fair bit of it for a wingman. He is getting better each week he plays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: