Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Magpies optimistic about Fraser

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:57 am
Post subject: Magpies optimistic about FraserReply with quote

By Nabila Ahmed
April 01 2003
realfooty.com.au

Collingwood last night denied speculation that ruckman Josh Fraser could miss another four weeks with the ankle injury that kept him out of Friday night's round-one win over Richmond.

While Fraser's management feared his recovery from the injury received in the Wizard Cup grand final two weeks ago could take up to four weeks, Magpies football manager Neil Balme was more optimistic.

Balme said both Fraser and Collingwood's other ankle injury worry, defender Simon Prestigiacomo, could both play on Friday night against Carlton.

"I spoke to the doctor and of the two of them, they're both (a) pretty good chance to be playing this week," he said.

But he admitted the club could not be certain as to an exact return date for the young star.

"I suppose I don't know for certain, there are no guarantees. I presume he will (play)," Balme said. "They will both be tested."

The Magpies, already weak in the ruck department, lost Fraser and Prestigiacomo during the Wizard Cup final a fortnight ago.

The pair rolled their ankles in the opening quarter of the 31-point loss to Adelaide at Telstra Dome, and neither returned to the field after quarter time.

Fortunately for the team, though, the Magpies regain Jason Cloke and Paul Licuria for the clash with traditional rival Carlton, after both completed suspensions.

Meanwhile, captain Chris Grant's shattered season was not the Bulldogs' only worry, with youngster Shane Birss sustaining an eye injury in the round-one win over Geelong.

Birss was attempting to smother a Ben Graham kick in the second term but the ball deflected and struck him in the face.

The 2002 Rising Star nominee left the ground with bleeding in his right eye and Bulldogs football manager Stephen Newport yesterday confirmed that Birss had developed hyphaema - blood in the front chamber of the eye.

"He will certainly miss this week. He has to have the eye covered and take it easy for a couple of days and then we'll see how it's going," Newport said.

The Bulldogs will test Matthew Croft (ankle) this week and Newport said he hoped the defender would be fit to play.

Carlton's controversial recruit Mick Martyn will also undergo a test this week after failing to be fit for the round-one match against Sydney because of a knee injury.

Hawthorn will miss Campbell Brown for Sunday's York Park match in Launceston against West Coast after he strained his adductor muscle in the opening quarter of the round-one loss to Melbourne.

The Eagles will test captain Ben Cousins (ankle) but first he has to face tonight's AFL Tribunal on a striking charge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to read b/w the lines here. Anyone seen them at training? As much as I'd love to see them both out there, we do not need them this week (the filth are a shambles). We don't want to risk losing them for longer by aggravating their injuries. With Lica and Clokey back our side gains some strength.

Interesting to read Fraser's management fear his recovery may take longer. I would have thought our people would be more fearful. Maybe they only get payed if he plays.

Pies rock Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:34 pm

Take whatever Neil Balme says with a grain of salt. He's a bigger spin doctor than the entire HIH Administration, not that it did them much good. Either get down to training to see how they are or wait til Friday. Presti's far more important to our structure than Josh...
NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:41 pm

I agree Pies Rock.
I hope Presti plays.

Josh we can live without.
chalky 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:55 pm

Totally with you PiesRock on the Presti sentiment. Our no name backline of 2002 were fortunate that no catastrophic injuries intervened on what was a fantastically consistent and sustained effort. But, even today, all it needs is for one of those to fall and our team balance is suddenly out of whack and we look vulnerable. For example, the loss of Cloke was lamented by many as being a vital factor in our GF loss.
I firmly believe that Presti is an essential element to the ongoing success of the side, insofar as his ready replacement would be difficult to find ATM.
The backline read thin without him. Young Tex had an interesting debut as a replacement but is he the short term answer?
We had better pray that Presti in particular stands up this season for his value to the teams success is more precious than most would care to admit. cheers
Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:58 pm

While I agree with you all about Presti, I also think that Josh is very important to our structure. As a tall forward, he is very hard for oppositions to match up on, and usually takes their 1st or 2nd defender.
angel 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:26 pm

Presti is a must, and you're spot on, we were lucky the backline remained intact and need it to happen again for stability purposes.
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:26 pm

Agreed Kristin. Weve all discussed his rucking weaknesses but as another option in the forward line hes very dangerous and Carlton would find it hard to match him. Lets just hope he returns Friday! Smile

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:29 pm

Latest news on the official site, indicates Josh and Presti are 50/50. I'm tipping both won't play.
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:32 pm

Agreed. If theyre 50/50 i cant see them being risked against Carlton. Damn Crying or Very sad

So when i'm lying in my bed, thoughts running through my head and i feel that love is dead...
IM LOVING BUCKLEY INSTEAD!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: