Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

When did you first realise you loved Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

well I was born into Collingwood... not my parents, my grandma. Her dad played for us in 1912 (only a few games, but still) and thats why she was Collingwood, and she taught me the song when I was about 4... taught it to my sister too. my grandma bought me my scarf in prep and I always felt so proud wearing it to school, and everyone else wore St kilda and essendon and i was the only collingwood... and they'd all tell me that collingwood sucked but i told them they were the best...
I guess i realised that i loved collingwood when i started to get into the games... i'd watch them on tv and i was so excited in 2000 when we won our first 5. when i cried (and no one else in my family did) becasue we lost so many after such a promising start, thats when i knew i was collingwood.
Molly Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:19 pm

Yeah pretty much the same for me as everyone else - my dad instilled in us the same understanding that his father did in him - if you barrack for another team you're not welcome in my house!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:51 pm

i knew i really loved collingwood in 95 when we lost to sydney and i cried my eye's out for ages! never looked back!! GO PIES!
Get Smart 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:53 pm

As a young boy of 7 I watched the 1970 Grand-Final.
I was devistated when Collingwood lost.
I do not know why.
I have followed Collingwood ever since.
I have passed on the love of Collingwood to my 3 sons.
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:07 am

Well I was sitting up in heaven having a great conversation with the Lord and I said....Lord what is the greatest of all your creations?? he smiled at me and pointed out a little place on Lulie street and said "Greg..that is where dreams come true, that is as close to heaven as you will ever get, while you are on Earth!" Then he pointed out another little place not far from Lulie Street and said "Greg, your mum lives there, and she will make sure you stay close to heaven for the rest of your life!" and ya know what....He was right.....lol

Sheez like I have been trapped in a re-run of touched by an agel or something..it is late..I am going to bed....

Cheers

paulie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:50 am

I started following Collingwood when i was 5 I watched the 1977 Grand Final on TV.How could a kid not want to barrack for a team that had the incredible hulk in the side.I remember listening to a broadcat of the 1979 Grand Final while being at the Royal Melbourne Show and being pretty disappointed when the pies lost.1980 saw me in front of the TV covered in Collingwood badges all over my Collingwood T-Shirt as the Pies were thumped wishing Stan Margo would knock KB out.From there my love has grown and grown knowing no matter what life throws at me I will always have the Mighty Collingwood Football Club in my heart.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:59 am

who knows. i think my passion just kinda crept up on me. my whole family, especially my grandfather, were mad collingwood fans. i remember my dad kept a bottle of 'Premiership Port' in the kitchen when i was a kid...he said if we ever won a flag he'd open it and drink the whole thing. anyway, in 1990 he got his chance...he finally opened the bottle and drank a bit and nearly spewed! apparently it was totally foul.

anyway i've truly superseded the rest of family in terms of passion. i 'matured' as a supporter during a really shit era for the club - about 1995-1999. never missed a game. cried a lot. my heroes were Chad Liddell and James Wasley, for god's sake. so all this recent success feels pretty weird.
Madpies_Fan Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:27 am

I am the only one in my whole family that goes for the Pies. I think I was about 5 or 6 when I decided they would be my team. When I was 11, we moved interstate so I would see the scores on the news, but didn't get to watch it much. When I was 18 we moved back home to Victoria and I started watching the games in prime time. I went to my first game at the G, and a few days later brought my membership and haven't looked back.
wimmey Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 11:56 am

All the women in my family are die hard bulldog supporters except me, they say I'm a traitor. My grandfather used to take me to games, leave me with the collingwood cheer squad and then come and pick me up after the game, I was 5 years old. The collingwood song was the first I ever learnt and I still preach black and white to anyone who will listen (or not).
My grandfather's gone but I'm sure he still follows the black and the white.
By the way I convinced one of my daughters to follow collingwood so now I'm not the only female in the family to adore the pies...
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:31 pm

I was tuned into a Radio Australia match in Penang, Malaysia,between PIES and 'D' way back in 1965.I remember that the PIES gave them a bath and the commentator,would have made some comments.
From then on I have followed them thru thick & thin.I recon backl then I would have been about 17 years young. Smile

daicos4ever 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:55 pm

JLC wrote:
I realised i loved Collingwood when i discovered how much them losing made me sad Sad

That's exactly it. There rollercoaster ride of emotions beats any relationship by far. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Warbler 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:01 pm

I grew up playing thugby in Nth Qld , came to Melb in 1966 and saw my first game of footy on B&W TV . I couldn't beleive it , it was the best game I'd ever seen - fast,tough and exciting . Then I had to decide who to barrak for - our school colours were Blue & White hoops & I'd played thugby for the Magpies at weekends .
The choice I faced was Geelong or Collingwood - not much of a choice really .
But I realised I loved the Pies when I went to my first game at Vic Park , I can't remember who we played but I do remember the emotion , being a part of the one eyed crowd . We won and everyone was backslapping , laughing , talking to each other - I felt like I'd made 30,000 new mates that day , infact I still do .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: