Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE NEED A RUCK!!!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoka where did you get your listings?
According to afl.com.au we have:

Clarke 198cm / 100kg
Biglands 199cm / 105 kg

So there is no significant height diff given McKee is what? 198 I think, and Josh 200 or more. I may get used to these frigging cm's yet.
I've included weight since that is on a par in importance these days.
don't forget both our ruckmen were injured.
I think it's likely that last year's gf was well ahead of the development schedule, including of our rucks. probably they will be due to be a real force by this season's end, and certainly next season. If not by then we may have a more legitimate grounds for complaining.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:16 pm

this subject frustrates me so much, especially when i see stats like:
clarke 38 hit outs
biglands 26
rocca 5
mckee 2

i made up a little poem to describe how i and many others feel, but it had to be censored a little

WE NEED A RUCK by Cam

onballers we have plenty like bucks bucks bucks
we need a ruck - WE NEED A RUCK
small forwards are multiplying like ducks ducks ducks

the Cats have got Street he's a smuck smuck smuck
but WE need a ruck - WE NEED A RUCK
the recruiters need even more luck luck luck

now i'm not sayin that stunners got no pluck pluck pluck
we need a bigger ruck - WE NEED A BIGGER RUCK
the frickin hawks pinched spider though he's no Tuck Tuck Tuck

rocca can play there if we're stuck stuck stuck
but we still need a ruck - WE STILL NEED A RUCK
We got past Primus coz he gets 'finals struck struck struck'
we still need a ruck - WE STILL NEED A RUCK

our centre clearnances suck suck suck
watchin foes smash us there is yuck yuck yuck

f@##, f@##, f@##,
f@##, f@##, f@##,

The End.

Thankyou.

Amen.
*ORZA* 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:12 pm

Does anyone know how justin Crow from our rookie list is progressing. The reports were that he was playing pretty good in the ruck for Willy last year.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:42 am

judging by the blurb on him at collingwoodfc.com he will be at least a couple of years but you never know.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:51 pm

AnthonyC wrote:
That is not to say that Mckee and Fraser are no good at it

Thay aren't any good at it at all. It is absolutely impossible to lose as badly in the ruck as often as we do if they are not poor ruckman.
bbmod1 

Location: Email to bbmod1 will go to all moderators in this group.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:15 pm

Thanks for that Mark, I guess trying to be constructive is a no-no. If McKee is no good at it at all, you would have to agree that Matthew Primus isn't too bad wouldn't you? In fact I'd say he was the best going around last year. Would you agree? Now let me remember what happened in the qualifying final last year......

As far as I'm concerned McKee's efforts in that game won us the game. If we had not won that game we would likely have not made the GF, let alone had the opportunity to win it. Now think about it Mark and you will also remember. So let's thank Mckee for getting us there in the first place not losing it, FFS.

(Sorry this post was by AnthonyC)
chalky 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:39 pm

Here we go again! No ruck, No Collingwood - is that correct?
We will never win a Premiership without a ruck - is that correct?

Walls kept saying, every week, that Collingwood would lose because we had no ruck, but could not explain this amazing phenomena when we won.
Yet we reached a GF without the said ruckman. Is this the same ruck that we needed all through 2002 season?

Port have Primus, the best ruckman going around- we beat them!
Brisbane's ruck Rd 4 - we beat them!
Melb have got White - we beat them

Have you noticed a trend here. the games that we won were in spite of the oppositions so-called "ruck superiority", then the games that we lost should not be blamed on the same erroneous supposition, that ruckmen win matches

MM had the chance of picking up any number of ruckmen - Everitt, Mott, Keating, Noble? Yet each were rejected. Instead MM further bolstered our mid-field options- Woewodin, Williams

We can and will win a premiership without this mythical man mountain that can win games merely by tapping the ball down.
In the modern game played in the style of MM, McKee does only what is required, it is then up to the much vaunted midfield to deliver the goods
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:57 pm

bbmod1 wrote:
Thanks for that Mark, I guess trying to be constructive is a no-no. If McKee is no good at it at all, you would have to agree that Matthew Primus isn't too bad wouldn't you? In fact I'd say he was the best going around last year. Would you agree? Now let me remember what happened in the qualifying final last year......

Primus is the number 1 or ruck in the AFL. McKee is not even number 16. Hell he isn't even our best ruckman. McKee's effort against Primus in the final was outstanding. I said on here before the game that it would be the pivotal duel and it was McKee and Licuria that won the game for us. McKee has a few other notable performances to his credit. Unfortunately he is a poor ruckman. He isn't a bad follower and he could be ok as a centre half back. He caanot get decisive centre bounce taps. He never has - ever.

I have said this for 2 years. I am not trying to be unconstrucive (is that a word?). The fact is McKee is not the answer. We are here to win the premiership. We are not here to win friends. We lost a GF last year because we were smashed in the ruck. We lost a night GF this year for the same reason.
bbmod1 wrote:
Now think about it Mark and you will also remember. So let's thank Mckee for getting us there in the first place not losing it, FFS.

I have though about it for 2 years now. I though about little else after the GF. I have nightmares about it. I am not blaming McKee for losing anything. I am saying he is not good enough to win it for us. McKee's best is to negate the oposition. That is not hood enough. We are not here to aspire to mediocraty.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:20 pm

Fair enough Mark. But I can't agree with the statement how we lost the GF in the ruck. Sure we lost the ruck contests, but I don't think that was the single reason why we lost the game. 100% concentration was required which we sadly only put in 99.9% (time on in the 2nd and 3rd, I'm sure you know). Anyway the problem was that when brissy lost McDonald, Keating probably played the game of his life. I thought we might have them when McDonald went off early, but it wasn't to be. The weather made it scrappy and the ruck contests were not as pivotal. I suppose we can agree to disagree but I don't think this is why we lost.
MarkT 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:10 pm

As I said, I am not blaming McKee and never have blamed him. His endevour cannot be questioned. I like the guy but I am firmly convinced that the ruck cost us a day and a night grand final and that it may well cost us another day grand final. It would be nice to have that little better in areas like concentration that you refer to. The fact is we were excellent there. We can always be better but we have to be realistic too. If Collingwood have to improve the intensity to win a grand final then I fear we are in deep poo. Realiatically no team goes through a finals series with more concentration and intensity than we did in 2002. We were awesome in that regard. we shouldn't have to inprove in that area because we should have inproved in our areas of deficiency.

We have a very good midfield, a very solid backline and a dangerous forward line. Our midfield has to battle with losing rucks and our backs are under undue pressure when the opposition clear the centre quickly. Our forwards also don't the advantage of quick ball into their zone from the ball ups like our opposition sometimes do.

Take a look at the games where we under performed last year. Richmond, Carlton, Geelong, Essendon and Bulldogs beat us because they dominated the rucks and therefore the clearances. IMO a quality ruckman could well have seen us finish on top after the H&A and would have seen us premieriers.

I have seen us lose too many grand finals to ever want to see another one. I went to 5 grand finals in 5 years before I saw 1990. 2002 was tolerable because we have come so far so quickly and we have so much upside in our list. Not getting a ruckman this pre seaon is completely unfathomable to me though.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:17 pm

Well said, Chalky!

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:41 pm

*ORZA*, Crow is still about 8 weeks away from coming back after breaking his ankle.
Hooked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: