Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Why can't Ben Johnson kick a football?!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:03 pm
Post subject: Why can't Ben Johnson kick a football?!!!Reply with quote

It always surprises me how players get drafted with no kicking ability. The game is called FOOTball. I don't care if a player is the greatest gather of the ball ever - if he can't dispose of it, then he is virtuyally worthless. That is why I place little emphasis on "Possessions". A half-forward will rarley touch the ball more than 10 times, but with a couple of goals, set up a few more with slick disposal, he is worth more than a Ben johnson with 20 disposals off half back. Why can't he kick? He needs to straighten up. Clear example how his lack of skill is detrimental last night. Buckley gathered the ball on the wing, & instinctively handpassed to Johnson, who kicked won of his top-heavy mongrels into the forward line. Buckley could have held it himself and hit a target, but saw black & white and instinctively gave off. He kicks like Licuria (no penetration - they make contact with the ball too high. They must let the ball drop lower so they can penetrate the frickin' thing). Aren't left footers meant to be booming kicks? - trust us to get the 2 worst Left Foot exponents of a drop punt.

Lucuria could be an all time champion if his foot skills were, well, present.

P.S. Why did Williams choose to kick on his left so often when he had plenty of time on his right last night? Why can't Tarrant kick more than 2 feet on his right (remember in the last quarter when it went straight to them when we were coming back)?

How did Dunkley ever get drafted? I'm not saying he was't a great full back, but he could not kick a drop punt!!! How were they (scouts) to know his lack of kicking would not be huge hinderence? Unlike Johnson, who's kicking really is detrimental to the team. It's hard enough to get the ball, only to see it turned over so quickly with basic skills that should have been learned at Primary School.
Rowdy26 

chomp - new strawberry!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Johnson can kick. In fact sometimes i think he kicks it too well and catches his team mates by surprise. Admittedly he doesnt have the "most aesthetically pleasing" style, however it can be very very effective non the less. There have been games when his turn overs have been very ordinary i give you that. However I think due to the appearance of his kicking style he gets far more attention and criticism payed that he probably deserves. Johnson has the knack of kicking fairly long to a team mate without the ball actually travelling very high in the air. He seems to skim the ball just above the surface which results in the ball often getting to the target much more quickley that his team mates sometimes think its getting there.

Quite often, and this was illustrated a couple of times last night, Johnson looked for the lead, but there was nothing on offer accept for one of our guys swamped by oppostion, however he still managed to hit our guy on the chest but they spilled the mark. One incident with Buckley was the perfect example of this. Bucks was about 50 metres away and had 3 opponents scragging him at this stage (3 on 1 situation). Most players would have been incapable of finding bucks under these conditions however Johnno hit him hard and so fast that it took them all by surprise, the opposition and bucks, and bucks spilt the ball. If most players had of tried this, they would have passed the ball with too much height and time, thus allowing the 3 scraggers ample time to punch and run away with the ball, however johnson, due to his low direct, and unconventional style found bucks easily.

Its easy to bag johnno, but if you really pay attention to the situation and the options on offer sometimes, rather than simply his kicking style you might find that it can be extremely effective.
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:52 pm

Why does everyone bag Johnno!!? Every game i go to someone wont stop bagging him! I have had a go at so many collingwood supporters about it! And its not always him, its everybody! Why do people bag there team?! That is something i'll never understand!
Last nite i sat in front of this collingwood guy who the whole nite yelled out "Give us carey! we'll trade you Rocca!" "Your useless Rocca, Send him to the bench Malthouse". I wanted to dack this guy!

Respect your team people! This is just so wrong! lol i better shutup b4 i get my head kicked in, lolz! Razz

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
bec Aries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:05 pm

couldnt agree with you more. I love Benny, yet some Collingwood supporters dont. I think it is because of his unusual kicking style that gets him more attention and when it doesnt hit the target or it gets intercepted people seem to cling to those moments then bring it up all the time. Look at the Port final last year he made a mistake and gave away a goal and people were bagging him and saying he should be dropped, then later in that same game he saved a goal, and most likely the game and he is a Hero.
Cant people give him a break, he no doubt tries his heart out for the team week in week out. I rekon he is one of the most dedicated players in the team.
Go Benny
Prove all ur haters wrong
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:27 pm

[quote="Miss_Lisey_Molloy"]Why does everyone bag Johnno!!? Every game i go to someone wont stop bagging him! I have had a go at so many collingwood supporters about it! And its not always him, its everybody! Why do people bag there team?! That is something i'll never understand!
Last nite i sat in front of this collingwood guy who the whole nite yelled out "Give us carey! we'll trade you Rocca!" "Your useless Rocca, Send him to the bench Malthouse". I wanted to dack this guy!

I would have 'decked' the guy.....not dacked him! lol
Black_White 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:17 pm

Wow Lisey, you should have asked (loudly) for some of that guys drugs....cause they sure did have him on another planet!

-Craig

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:35 am

Johnson can't kick a footy coz he drops it wrong. As much as I admire his work ethic he's kcking isn't up to scratch. As a collingwood player when he's kicking it takes courage to leave your man knowing he could kick it straight to him.

I remember when Licuria first came to Collingwood that The opposition would zone off him so he'd kick the fotty coz they knew he'd give it back. I think Lica's kicking is a better better than back then but it still needs work.

yep eh dai 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:40 pm
Post subject: JohnnoReply with quote

i reckon he is a fair kick. He is just a little erratic becuase he doesnt guide the ball really. He just drops it on his boot. Same as Mark McGough

im not the complaining, they are the ones playing league football, not me
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:42 pm

Hahahaha oops! I always say dacked instead of decked and now i know why i get strange looks from my friends and boyfriend. oops! hehehe Razz

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan! Pies are Premiers in 2010!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: