Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has the perception..

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rohan 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:40 pm
Post subject: Has the perception..Reply with quote

of Collingwood changed?

I've been following Collingwood since 1984 when a fellow by the name of Jack Regan convinced me of supporting them. In that time I think we've always been regarded as being a bogan club and unfashionable.

Now it has changed a fair bit. Atm it is very hip and fashionable to support Collingwood. IMO the perception of Collingwood being a working mans club has changed to being a hip club that appeals to youngsters.

You can see a small microcosm of this by the amount of "teeny boppers" who now follow Collingwood.

Your thoughts..

Rohan 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree a tad Tess and by leaving Victoria Park we are leaving behind a history that probably doesn't appeal to a neutral fan who is tossing up whether to support Collingwood.

In the true sense, Collingwood is very much a club driven by corporate success and demographic appeal.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:47 pm

Tessa, your post was so eloquently put. You are so right that even in leaving VP, the heart and soul of Collingwood will live on in a new era in a new place and in that heart and soul, we carry the heart and soul of all those past players and past supporters that have made this great club what it is today and what it was yesterday.
Warbler 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:44 am
Post subject: Has the perceptionReply with quote

Completely agree Tessa . When you move house as long as the family are there it becomes home and the Collingwood family make me feel at home whatever ground we are at .
I was being slaged at by a Melbored supporter until I pointed out that the year after our last wooden spoon we had a then record membership - there was not a lot that a ' Crawl out of the woodwork when we're in the finals ' melbored supporter could say after that !
eddieforprez 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:25 pm
Post subject: Well put TessReply with quote

Yes the perception has changed, as interstate clubs have started to perform well (6 of last 12 flags?) more and more Victorian supporters are beginning to 'stick together' when it comes to their side not playing a game. How many of us have had other supporters come up and comment on last years gf? My brother who bleeds red and black and has hated the pies for years actually said he was barracking for us in the last quarter. This ranks with George Bush saying he reckons Saddam is probably a nice guy deep down!

Any to me as one of the many who helped the pies out of its financial mess in 1986 and then took up full membership in 1988 Collingwood has given me immeasurable satisfaction and joy. My mission now is to have my kids follow suit. My daughter, 5 , went with me on Saturday night and was very happy with the night out.Only problem is she wants to marry 'Nathan Buckaley' ! Could be problems there!! Cool Laughing

Cheers all.

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:15 pm

Collingwood always has been always will be The Club. Proudest and with the most loyal following of any sporting club in Australia. What are you talking about?
dimo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:44 pm

Collingwood will always be Collingwood no matter were you call home.
It's the club of the people, for the people like no other. However to move forward sametimes you must let go of the past, no one can ever erase our history at VIC Park.
This move will add a new chapter in the life and times of the Collingwood Fooball Club..

Go Pies..
Lockyer24 Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:43 pm

Its cool to follow the Pies again cos we're winning. Its that simple.

The increase in amount of teenagers coming to our games now is quite noticeable, but its great!
Hurricane 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:33 pm

Yes winning is fashionable so Collingwood are once again fashionable.
grims 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:25 pm

Well i've been a collingwood supporter since i the day i was born. I was born in Victoria but when i was like 10 i moved to Western Australia. It's pretty good over here, but there is no passion in football here. As soon as their teams start losing they are all talking about soccer or basketball, but when they are winning they all jump on the band wagon. Most also adopt any club outside of victoria. So in the finals series there is a big increase in brisbane supporters. Football is the one thing i miss about Victoria. There isn't one game in perth this year, i don't get to do things like go watch the boys train. Went on a holiday last year to melbourne to visit relatives so i went and saw Collingwood vs Geelong(disappointing game) and see Collingwood beat Richmond(my mum goes for richmond). Sorry if this seems like a ramble i am tired Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: