Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A New Disease-Pie Throat

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:47 am
Post subject: A New Disease-Pie ThroatReply with quote

For god's sake I cannot handle this.

Only two (and pre-season at that) games into 2003 and my body is racked with after match pain.

Two consecutive Sundays revitalising the juices and screaming the living daylights out of the stands at both matches has caused my throat to all but disintegrate.

Anyone else have adverse health following the stress, anxiety and excitement of the matches?

I can't believe how involved I have gotten so early on in the year.

Against Carlscum, when they got within twelve and the umpires clearly had sympathy for the filth, I was screaming rampant abuse every time a free was given or Murphy showed no want for the footy.

Then Hawthorn came along and I was booming about the 9 point kerfuffle and bellowed all sorts of abuse when Hawthorn were given full points for their outside fifty.

I was livid.

Then a couple of soft frees in the third...and the throat was wavering.

I think I might have even involuntarily dribbled.

Then we we kicked away, and the euphoria was almost tangible. My throat was given no mercy. I sat up in level 3, the CFC cheersquad to my left going nuts, the 23 Dawk supporters at the other end of the goals resembling a still life painting.

Loved it. My body hated it. I am still recovering even now from the flu, horrific throat soreness and vomiting.

I was up until 3am Monday morning heaving into the toilet with the Magpie flag draped over my back by my Hawk supporting girlfriend.

You know what?

Couldn't have been happier.

Go Pies. Smash the Cats.

Walk with me through my valleys and you will sing with me on my mountain.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know ALL about Pie throat. I suffered from it all last season. So far this season I've been fine.

Giving up chant-leading was the best thing I ever did. I can now just be another voice in the crowd. I'm trying to revive my singing career, so I need to be really careful how I use my voice at the footy.

Correct breathing and voice projection is the secret to it all ... but of course, all of that often goes right out the window in the excitement of the moment.

If your throat is wrecked at the end of a game, it means you're not projecting your voice properly.

Gawd struth. The way I'm talking, you just about need a degree in drama to go to the football.

Ignore me ... Unless you're a singer, actor or radio announcer you don't need a throat ... Just go for it.

GO HARD OR GO HOME
Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" http://alf.magpies.net
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:04 am

Struth I saw this post and thought that hotrod was sprouting off about his private video collection again.....lol

Cheers

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:42 am

magpie greg wrote:
Alf

Have you actually had voice traning for singing?

Not really. I've had a few lessons. And I did drama at uni and picked up a lot of good hints there. But I'm mostly self-taught. I do a lot of work on my voice, involving all sorts of breathing exercises and vocal gymnastics. It seems to work for me. I'm no Pavorotti, but then I'm not trying to be.

I used to sing from the throat in my punk rock days, but now I've learned to avoid that. Some where along the line I "discovered" the soft palate. Major breaththrough. Quantum leap in what I was capable of vocally.

It works fine as long as I don't have to push too hard for extra volume. If I try to get too loud, as I tend to do at the footy, all my technique goes out the window. As long as I'm just singing along with a crowd of happy Pie fans I can just relax and sing properly. But when I was trying to lead a whole bay of people I was over-straining, giving myself headaches and basically wrecking my voice for several days afterwards.

afisher Sagittarius

Collingwood on the Great Wall near Simatai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:19 am

“The Maggie Throat”

Sore throats can be painful and annoying. Fortunately, most sore throats are caused by a minor illness and will go away without medical treatment. Home treatment often gives relief. (Rest and soothing liquids)

Many things can cause a sore throat. A mild sore throat is often caused by:

The common cold (a type of viral infection).
Throat irritation from low humidity, smoking, air pollution, yelling (The Classic Maggie Throat) , or nasal drainage down the back of the throat (postnasal drip).
Breathing through the mouth when you have allergies or a stuffy nose.
Treatment for a sore throat depends on the cause.

The Maggie Throat can occasionally be a combination of the above factors, and thus the symptoms should not be quickly dismissed. Initial treatment should be directed towards rest and relaxation (perhaps the replay -quiet analysis, along with a tall cold ale). As many sore throats are aggravated or caused by a viral illness, antibiotics cannot be used, as they do not alter the course of viral infections. Unnecessary use of an antibiotic exposes you to the risks of an allergic reaction and antibiotic side effects, such as nausea, vomiting, rashes, and yeast infections. Antibiotics also may kill beneficial bacteria and encourage the development of dangerous antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Thus the need for the more aggressive treatment should only be pursued when these symptoms persist

At the end of the day (night), The Maggie throat is a benign condition that will generally resolve in 2 to 3 days without the need for medical attention. Remember, though, that should the symptoms persist it may be worth a visit to your GP.

Below is an interesting sore throat URL http://www.iemily.com/Article.cfm?ArtID=737#treat

[This message has been edited by afisher (edited 09 March 2003).]
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:57 am

Oh golly gosh I have it too.

And afisher - the combination of all those causes is so right - I think I am suffering from smoke inhalation from the locker room as well.

This is one ailment I don't mind having...!

Jen

--
Floreat Pica
BRING BACK NED!

(political comments edited)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: