Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Power. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piffdog wrote:
Bit of a recency bias on their midfield. Where were they in the last 8 rounds of last year (when they lost 7 games?).
Now they are no spuds, and they will be better in 2 more years than they are today, but the hype is a bit overblown IMO. How about the Bombers actually send someone to Rozee? Nick Daicos would look exactly the same if he was left to roam around at will.
Will be a tough game I think - hopefully we can find a bit more improvement and capitalise on being at our home ground.

They’re an interesting watch and they are certainly a better side than last year with the additions of Rataguelea, Zerk - Thatcher and Soldo. They’ve only beaten Richmond, Eagles and Bombers and were narrowly beaten by the Dees. Once again, this game will be all about whoever applies the most pressure the longest and whoever gains first use out of the middle ( that’s Ports one wood )
DeGoey is pretty much the barometer of our team at the moment. When he’s dominating, then the oppositions midfield is just playing catch up around the ground. Ultimately and from Collingwoods perspective, it’s the likes of DeGoey and Mitchell ( and to a lesser extent, Nick) who will have the biggest say in the outcome of this game. DeGoey has been starting really strong but fading and that’s coincided with how our last two wins have panned out.
I would expect coming off the bye will be a big bonus for us, particularity after the demands of our first five games. Dare I say it, we’re heading into “ 8 point game “ territory already and we’re only into round 6 of the season
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:46 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Outs: * Cox: omit for the worst Ruck effort since Michael Horsburgh in 1981

Nah Derek Shaw was much worse than him in 1980.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:37 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Just a reminder for those who don’t regularly visit the VFL forum, the VFL match between Pies and Blues will be televised on channel 7, starting 2.00pm on Sunday 14th. Obviously a good chance to still get a Collingwood fix during the bye round. As always, I’m sure D B will be all over it in the VFL forum.

cheers, thankyou

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:44 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Cox - premiership hero

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:49 pm

dalyc wrote:
Cox - premiership hero

Yeh, how quickly the village idiots forget. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:08 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

Might have been 1979 for "No Derek"!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:11 pm

^ Village idiots? It's 2024 now and unfortunately Cox has been underwhelming all year. Last week's "non-effort" and free kick-a-thon rucking to Meek was just that, meek!
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:57 pm

inxs88 wrote:
^ Village idiots? It's 2024 now and unfortunately Cox has been underwhelming all year. Last week's "non-effort" and free kick-a-thon rucking to Meek was just that, meek!

Correct in a sense but it’s like telling me that the athlete running 10th at the 20 km mark of a marathon has no chance whatsoever of winning the race. I agree that Cox has had a terrible and horrendous start to the season but has plenty of time to turn it around. If he doesn’t, then he is in danger of being a liability. Time will tell.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:24 pm

Just watched Essendon vs Dogs, where Essendon absolutely smashed them off the field in the second half.
I think this demonstrates that the true strength of PA is not to be correctly estimated by how they destroyed Essendon last week.
Essendon's performance tonight showed that the game against PA was not the result of PA's incredible superiority, but instead was the result of Essendon's own issues.
The PA midfield is not all conquering - we can equalise it if we bring our pressure.
Would love the Maestro, Pendles, on the field, but it will depend absolutely on how he recovers, and while my heart wants him to play, reason says that he would benefit from a 2 week break.
So we need to watch the VFL closely for how Finn, Sullivan, and others perform.
We are in a difficult situation. We urgently need to win games, but we also urgently need to develop our young midfielders.
Today, Essendon's young mids nullified Bontompelli, Liberatore. That is, young no namers were able to negate Bulldog legends and Essendon's Merrett as a result had a field day. We are lagging I feel in that influx of young talent introduced directly into the game.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:47 am

Good Morning Mr Magpietothemax...

Introducing new talent and winning games are not mutually exclusive.
In fact, bringing in the young ones often is the adrenaline shot teams need to find a new (higher) level.

I would certainly introduce Allen and Sullivan, sooner rather than later.

Whether we can still win remains to be seen, but I think the team needs a little boost of speed and grunt at present.

I still believe we will beat Port to bring the season back to a win/loss equilibrium.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:22 am

I hope you are right Lad because if we continue to turn in the tripe that we dished up against the Dawks in the 2nd half and get crushed against Port then face an Essendrug side full of juice then Anzac day will be even harder to win devoid of confidence.
Cox has been a liability this season but I do have doubts about whether Cameron could ruck solo for an entire match and who we'd bring in to replace Cox as I don't think Begg etc are ready to step up.
Pendles should rest until 100% I broke my ribs mountain biking in NZ in January and it took about 8 weeks to feel alright and still doesn't feel 100%

RickyWatt23 Sagittarius

RickyWatt23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:53 pm

I agree that Coxy had a shocker against the Hawks but his game against the Lions was good. He did a lot of small things that don't show up in the stats and his value to the team is in backing up Darcy Cameron and allowing him to play to his best. Hopefully the Cameron-Cox combo will help our mids get first use of the ball against Port and negate their recent mid field dominance. If Cox can hold a few more marks, esp in the forward line that will be a bonus. Pies by 15 points!
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:32 pm

Big chance for someone to step up and impress tomorrow in the VFL. There’s a lot of opinion on here about playing youth and for what it’s worth I agree. The injection of a ‘young gun’ rejuvenates a team but the reality is our cupboard is bare of talented youngsters.

So far Reef has shown enough to be worthy of persistence. Unfortunately Finn hasn’t and some of the others who have been touted as likely improvers this season (Allan, Carmichael, Begg, Ryan) have been average at best - TBH I don’t hold much hope for any of them I’m afraid. I desperately hope to be mistaken and that one or two of the aforementioned really light it up!

So over to you Sullivan, Bytel and Richards. Have had good starts to the year so go out there tomorrow and rip it up…put your case forward for inclusion.

For mine if Pendles is okay we go in unchanged against Port - WHE the sub. Otherwise if Pendles succumbs to his rib injury and needs another week or two, I reckon Sullivan must come in.

As much as everyone rates their midfield, I think we can at least match them in that department. It’s going to be up to whoever backs can hold up the best. Watching Port’s against Freo, I’m putting my hard earned on our back six or seven to be the difference.

In a game of shifting momentum where both teams will equally dominate and be dominated should be a close hard fought win for the Mighty black and white stripes (suck it Koch and the rest of the Port whingers). Pies by 8.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:12 am

Having watched the Port-Freo game, it is clear that pressure will decide this one. Fremantle always had numbers at the contest, and this prevented the PA mids from getting off the leash. Rozee, Horne-Francis, Butters no longer looked like invincible titans, but instead normal, mortal human players - very good - but contained by pressure.
I was also very impressed by Freo's structuring off the ball. They ran and positioned themselves so that they were always able to bring numbers to the ball, wherever it went.
We did that in spades last year, and showed it also against Brisbane and for 2 quarters against Hawthorn. Need to make sure that we do it
for 4 quarters against PA. We bring our pressure on the contested ball, and we are in a position to win this game, like Freo was.
Freo has a brilliant young forward in Treacy, and a combination of other dangerous forward players, but their forward line is not as potent as ours. However, their pressure, and their general skills frequently cut up PA's defence. With our skilled smalls, we have the necessary foundation to create havoc in F50 against PA's defence. Need to make sure we don't bomb the ball in, but kick intelligently so Checkers/Cox/ Reef can get the ball to ground so that Bobby, Lachie, Jamie can get to work against the likes of Alia. Zerk-Thatcher. PA's defence tonight looked vulnerable to speed, fast ball movement, small forwards.
They have a tall forward line, so we need Darcy Moore to step up this game.

Pendles definitely should not play: he needs a rest (he is the only veteran who has not had one) and has a fractured rib!!
The best VFL performer to come in... chance for Sullivan, Richards, Harrison to win senior selection.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:44 am

I don't see any youngster in the reserves killing it ATM, so why do we think it will be any different in the firsts.
That's not to say I don't wish to see youngsters introduced, but I would like to for the right reasons, and right now we are fighting to regain a spot in the 8, not a time for development and experimentation IMO.

A win against port puts us at 3-3, and a few teams above us are playing against each other next week. If we fail in the next month, we have half a season to get some games into the kids.

Addendum : If someone can add value, let the normal selection process dictate the changes.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: