Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickyWatt23 Sagittarius

RickyWatt23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood is supposed to be a democratic institution owned by it's members and run by a board elected by the voting members. I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to the EGM - if the candidates, including the present board present themselves and their bona fides well, they'll be re-elected or better more qualified candidates will fairly earn their place on the board with a mandate from the members. I don't know David Hatley at all and I feel he had the best intentions, but I'm disappointed that he didn't follow through on what he originally stated that his intentions were. Hopefully Vic Nicholas will go ahead and present the petition to the board and force the spill. Floreat Pica!
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:40 pm

RickyWatt23 wrote:
Collingwood is supposed to be a democratic institution owned by it's members and run by a board elected by the voting members. I can't understand why anyone would be opposed to the EGM - if the candidates, including the present board present themselves and their bona fides well, they'll be re-elected or better more qualified candidates will fairly earn their place on the board with a mandate from the members. I don't know David Hatley at all and I feel he had the best intentions, but I'm disappointed that he didn't follow through on what he originally stated that his intentions were. Hopefully Vic Nicholas will go ahead and present the petition to the board and force the spill. Floreat Pica!

Because we can do all that at the AGM in December when the members have more time to digest the credentials of those challenging board positions.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:44 pm

Early AGM seems like a reasonable outcome to me... could probably be before Dec given our season is going to be over in Aug

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
I think you’ve got it all wrong. What’sinaname has it right. Wright would have decided not to extend Buckley’s contract and the board would have ratified the decision

Highlighted the operative words... fact is nobody knows because whatever happened, happened behind closed doors. Lack of transparency has been one of the ongoing issues that led us to where we are today. It's one thing to act decisively (if that is what happened), it's another to be seen to have done so

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:38 pm

Lazza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
70% of Collingwood supporters wanted Buckley gone and the current board delivered that.

Have you got evidence for this statement about 70% or is it made up?

Definitely made up, there is no way it was that low!!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:37 pm

RickyWatt23 wrote:

Collingwood has never been a democratic institution. The restriction that only Social Club members could have voting rights disenfranchises the vast majority of members. When that was put in place, there would have been serious hoops to jump through to get Social Club membership, unlike now, so it was an elitist, restricted group with the ability to vote.

That is one of the first things that should change.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:13 pm

Agreed. Time to expand the franchise – no reason why all full members shouldn’t have a say.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:19 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Bridie McBulldog will have immunity, she got made VP despite the constitution within a year after all. It’d look bad for the club if she got dumped.

She isn't VP. Her appointment needs to be ratified at the next AGM.

Sizer and Licuria are the new vice-presidents taking over Waislitz.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:52 am

I see Damian Barrett is once again making comment on Mark Korda and the Collingwood Presidency.

I also see that David Hatley is now being referred in rather derogatory terms as "that supporter" now that Browne's easy path to an EGM has hit a road block.

I do wonder if someone with ties to his employer at the AFL or channel 9 are influencing his opinion as a "journalist".

Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:12 am

swoop42 wrote:
I see Damian Barrett is once again making comment on Mark Korda and the Collingwood Presidency.

I also see that David Hatley is now being referred in rather derogatory terms as "that supporter" now that Browne's easy path to an EGM has hit a road block.

I do wonder if someone with ties to his employer at the AFL or channel 9 are influencing his opinion as a "journalist".

His articles appear on the AFL website. Isn't he employed by it?

Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:14 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RickyWatt23 wrote:

Because we can do all that at the AGM in December when the members have more time to digest the credentials of those challenging board positions.

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen the club's constitution, but it may be that not all board positions are open to be challenged at the AGM, whereas they would be at the EGM.

Soudie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 am

I can only see a reference to 3 year terms in the constitution.
Sorry Nicksters I can't help myself with this sort of stuff, I'd like to see something like this.

The Board shall be made up of seven (7) voting positions plus the CEO of the club who has no voting capacity.
The CEO is an employee of the club and is appointed by the Board.
Board positions are voted on by the members at the AGM (my preference is highest votes wins – no preferential voting) and are for a 3 year term.
In the first year;
• 2 of the board positions will be for a term of 1 year and 3 years thereafter, and
• 2 of the board positions will be for a term of 2 years and 3 years thereafter, and
• 3 of the board positions will be for a term of 3 years and 3 years thereafter.
Nobody may remain in a board position for more than 3 consecutive, or part of, terms.
In the event a board member vacates the board prior to the end of that positions term;
• The board may appoint a replacement, without reference to the members, but only for the term up to the next AGM at which time the members will vote on that position (for whichever period of term remains for that position).
Official positions/titles of the board members (e.g. President, Vice-President) to be determined (by vote) by the elected members of the board after (my preference is within 4 weeks and CEO to have a casting vote if required) the AGM. (Note that all official positions are therefore vacated at the AGM).
AGM to be held in November of each Calendar year.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:21 pm

Question for everyone here: What if we have an EGM, the board is scuppered and we all collectively vote for a new board, which is comprised of a group of people with different visions and strategic outlooks for the club? As a result, we end up with continued bickering and a lack of progress? In the corporate world this would usually result in a board member being moved on by the shareholders, however, in our world (Collingwood) although we are quasi-shareholders, we want premierships not profits...

Just sayin' that maybe boards that are more cooperative can actually get more done, even if its not entirely in keeping with the hopes of such a diverse group of "shareholders" (us).

I'm not suggesting that Collingwood fans are well listened to, but I also think that the governance of a corporation/business/footy club is a lot more complicated and nuanced than a lot of us fans consider and is why even if he was elected by the members Snowy from the Trams may not be the best person to steward our footy club....

RickyWatt23 Sagittarius

RickyWatt23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:37 pm

The question to ask is do the current board members have the support of the voting members? My opinion from personal observation of members I know, the general consensus from forums such as Nicks and the number of people who signed the petition would be that there is only luke warm support for the current board. How to prove it? Have a spill of all current positions via an EGM - all current board members and any aspiring nominees would come under scrutiny and the voting members can make an informed choice and then the duly elected board would govern with a clear mandate.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:56 pm

RickyWatt23 wrote:
the number of people who signed the petition

I don't think it has been determined how many of the signatories are voting members?

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:01 pm

Soudie wrote:
In the first year;
• 2 of the board positions will be for a term of 1 year and 3 years thereafter, and
• 2 of the board positions will be for a term of 2 years and 3 years thereafter, and
• 3 of the board positions will be for a term of 3 years and 3 years thereafter.

How would it be determined which initial terms applied to which positions, in the event of a new board coming in?

Soudie wrote:

• The board may appoint a replacement, without reference to the members, but only for the term up to the next AGM

The problem historically has been board members being appointed/elected unopposed, which means there is no vote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 111, 112, 113 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 112 of 182   

Jump to: