Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
I suspect Buck's sacking was partly an exercise in survival by the current board. The mood for change, which saw hundreds of members sign a petition to hold an EGM, will most certainly have dissipated dramatically after today's announcement.

And fair enough too. The board took decisive action which is exactly what we want. I also like the fact they put aside romance and even feelings and made a call.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:45 pm

I'd suggest and many others would concur I'm sure that Nathan's cards were marked the minute Graham Wright arrived. Boards, schmoards. This season has been timed and managed. My guess is Bucks knew months ago.
Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:00 pm

Jezza wrote:
The Buckley decision will mean Browne has to change tactics if he wants to be president. I think politically for him, emphasizing on the ongoing failures of the salary cap will be his signature issue.

Rightly or wrongly, I suspect a lot of members would have voted on the basis of what both sides will do when it comes to the senior coach. Now that factor has been removed from the equation, many members will disengage from the process or have to think more deeply about who will lead the club going forward.

I think as it stands, the current board now has the upper hand and they can rely on the following issues:

[*] Nathan Buckley is gone and a new coach will be appointed for the 2022 season.
[*] Graham Wright was appointed to oversee change in the football department which he's doing.
[*] Ned Guy has departed from the club, and Troy Selwood has been added to the football department.
[*] The club is financially strong, and is now setting itself long-term goals to get the on-field issues sorted out.
[*] Progress is being made in the aftermath of the "Do Better" report.
[*] The board presented a united front against any takeover from Browne.

The weaknesses for the current board are the ongoing salary cap issues, the lack of democratic processes based on member feedback and the controversial appointment of Bridie O'Donnell and the contraventions to the club constitution when they appointed her.

Caroline Wilson on Footy Classified seemed to suggest that Browne was assembling a 7-person ticket (4 men, 3 women) that would be announced in a week or two. One or two of the men in the ticket would be an ex-player (e.g. Moore, Kelly?). I wonder if today's events changes anything for their plans going forward.

Despite the speculation, I doubt very much that it would be Kelly. He has far too much to lose by joining the board. On the other hand, it would be good to have someone on the board that can count to 11 without taking their pants off.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I suspect Buck's sacking was partly an exercise in survival by the current board. The mood for change, which saw hundreds of members sign a petition to hold an EGM, will most certainly have dissipated dramatically after today's announcement.

So all that stuff people were on about, accountability, letting the members vote for the board etc. all just online bluster?

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:46 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

So all that stuff people were on about, accountability, letting the members vote for the board etc. all just online bluster?

No I want the trifecta. Ed, Bucks and the board. We need a fresh start. Get rid of all this stink.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:51 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

I think it has improved their chances of staying in power but I think the mood for change goes well beyond the coach.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:56 am

Let it be the full broom. Time for the incumbents to take the culture they built and fostered out the door with them — along with their salary cap and 'bottom-of-the-barrel destination club' catastrophe.

Don't forget, as a club we're well on the nose with everyone, so the only way to guarantee we become a destination of choice is to clean out the lot of them.

Browne rising to the occasion with a fired-up Clarkson or similar is the win we need. No gentlemen's agreements or half-arsed compromises to avoid upsetting someone. Let's get it done thoroughly and make a statement to ourselves.

Last edited by pietillidie on Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:01 am

The big question is why the president was not present at the media conference or made any statement to the members regarding Buckley’s departure.
Another nail in The Korda coffin.

Bring on the EGM!!!

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am

slangman wrote:
The big question is why the president was not present at the media conference or made any statement to the members regarding Buckley’s departure.

Bring on the EGM!!!

My guess and knowing the Media, questions would've gone to Korda about the Coach, who made the decision, Board challenges, Browne, EGM etc etc...so good move not to be there as it was Bucks meeting...

GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:30 am

Most people probably think he would have wilted. I think the coup is coming. If you listened to Eddie on footy classified I think ed is still calling the shots
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:43 am

pietillidie wrote:
Let it be the full broom. Time for the incumbents to take the culture they built and fostered out the door with them — along with their salary cap and 'bottom-of-the-barrel destination club' catastrophe.

Don't forget, as a club we're well on the nose with everyone, so the only way to guarantee we become a destination of choice is to clean out the lot of them.

Browne rising to the occasion with a fired-up Clarkson or similar is the win we need. No gentlemen's agreements or half-arsed compromises to avoid upsetting someone. Let's get it done thoroughly and make a statement to ourselves.
not often i totally agree with you but yep yep yep!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:44 am

GreekLunatic wrote:
Most people probably think he would have wilted. I think the coup is coming. If you listened to Eddie on footy classified I think ed is still calling the shots
yeah i got that too!!!!
slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:56 pm

BEAMER09 wrote:
slangman wrote:

Bring on the EGM!!!

My guess and knowing the Media, questions would've gone to Korda about the Coach, who made the decision, Board challenges, Browne, EGM etc etc...so good move not to be there as it was Bucks meeting...

A good leader would know how to handle the those type of situations if they arose.
Mark Anderson barely said a word but was still there as the CEO of the club.
There is more to being a leader than just showing your face when everything is rosie.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:52 pm

Korda and board treating members like mugs. BRING. IT. ON.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:39 pm

Ultimately the decision on Buckley appears to have been made after he, Wright and the club of which Korda is President sat down and came to the conclusion that the reasons for him re-signing didn't outweigh the potential benefits for the club if he stepped aside.

While the timing of this decision certainly appears advantageous for Korda and the current board I'm not sure if that was the driving factor. It would seem Buckley himself might have instigated this weeks decision being made earlier than expected as he desired some clarity over his future. This is understandable. It shouldn't be discounted either that the rumblings that have begun at Carlton over Teague might have quickened our timeline.

While I feel a genuine sense of sorrow that Buckley wasn't able to achieve everything we wished for him and the club ultimately I agree with the decision made and it's certainly left me feeling more comfortable with our clubs direction.

How many others feel this way and whether this one decision has stopped Browne's chances of winning a possible EGM remains unknown. My sense is that it certainly hasn't hurt the chances of Korda and has stopped the decision over Buckley being front and center in the minds of many. It should be remembered that rightly or wrongly a lot of people believed Browne would be the agent of change and that included the coach also. He now doesn't have that card to play (if intending to).

Of course as one issue dissolves others become even more prominent and Browne can still exploit Korda in other areas.

As someone who was hoping Murphy and not Korda would be named President I'm certainly not against the idea of Browne because he is certainly qualified but my respect for Korda has risen (even if it's driven by selfish reasons of agreeing with yesterdays outcome) because I wasn't convinced he had it in him to sign off on the demise of a club legend in Buckley until he did.

The one thing that has gotten lost in his whole debate is that football clubs don't need high profile or media savvy Presidents to be successful (like Browne) and I doubt many of us could even name more than a handful of other club Presidents.

Hell, look at Richmond.

How many of us giggled when Gale declared all those years back they'd have 3 Premierships by 2020.

Hell, let's be brutally honest here.

How many thought they'd have their most successful period in 35 years with the first woman President of an AFL club and one that didn't even speak with an Australian accent?

I thought they were deluded and how wrong was I.

A Presidents job first and foremost is to surely employ the best possible people who then put the processes in place to maximise our chance at Premiership success. Their second most important duty is to take action whenever those individuals aren't deemed to producing the results expected.

While Korda has been a long time board member and is saddled with any missteps of the McGuire Presidency (without any credit for the successes) in reality he's had precious little time in the main role so it's impossible to judge his ability to perform as President.

So far all we know is that he was true to his word and deferred to Wright on the issue of Buckley. Ned Guy has been moved on also which made a lot of people happy on this board while we have beefed up our recruiting with the addition of Selwood. I'm not enthused with the nomination of O'Donnell as a prospective board member as I'd prefer all our board appointments bleed black'n'white.

He certainly doesn't appear to be the big personality like Ed was but do we really need a President to be a McGuire clone to achieve success?

I don't think so.

For mine if Browne wants to be Collingwood President then he needs to earn it by winning the majority of votes from members at an EGM and shouldn't expect Korda to just lay down and step aside.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 108 of 182   

Jump to: