Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our veteran quandary

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Our problem is not with our veterans. Our problem is we do not have enough young players demonstrating enough talent to replace our veterans. In particular, I had high hopes for Macrae and Allan, but sadly neither look like potential good AFL players. There's been a lot of talk about Harrison, but I haven't seen much evidence of any class in the lad. As for Steene and Begg, they are even further down the list.
As desperate as it seems, I am pinning my hopes on the untested Demattia.

Compare where our veterans were age 18-21, to our current crop of early 20s. Apart from the Daicos bros, no one comes close. McCrae, Harrison, Begg, Steen, and maybe Allen are miles away from the players Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Howe, Elliott, Crisp were same age.
And he wouldn’t have been playing much this year anyway, but Taylor Adams left a hole we haven’t filled.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:39 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
^

True but trundling around in the reserves week after week is hardly going to build the motivation to take the next steps the club believes they can make, particularly if they see no chance of a change any time soon. One game in the seniors do more for their development than ten reserves games. Malthouse used to like testing young players in big games as a test of their mettle and skills but our current selection panel is more conservative than that. I would like to see our younger players continue to be given chances at senior level, despite them looking ordinary in the reserves. Its probably unfair to compare them to Pendlebury and Sidey as both were high draft picks and exceptional players from the beginning. Of course maybe those players' example is a reason to play them more often in order to really work on their development at senior level. Would Sidebottom or Crisp be who they are if they had to trundle around in the reserves week after week?

K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:19 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
...Really Howes future will depend a lot on how or if Murphy gets back firstly and how he goes in the games he plays ...

Howe has a 16-game trigger clause in his contract. That doesn't sound like the hardest target...
He's already played 4, so 12 more to go.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
With the June/July deadline for contract decisions for veterans fast approaching I think this is the shot across the bow as a warning to all veterans

Did the AFL bring in the proposed 'return of the veterans list' post the survey last year?

Cox & Mihocek are likely to have had some confronting discussions regarding their contribution ytd.

Laurie honestly other than Pendles all our veterans have been underwhelming inconsistent across the season
I don’t think any of them if there being completely honest would say there form has been at the level required
I made a comment in the off season about want and desire
I asked the question would the veterans have that some want and desire or did last years campaign drain there tanks
Right now it looks like a few are running on fumes
Maybe there tanks can refill enough to keep going this season but I think the presidents comments tells a story we are moving on from a few come seasons end and hitting the trade market heavily
Which veterans go likely has not been totally decided yet but there would be a few on the list
I said a couple weeks ago Wright wanted to move on from 2 at the end of last season but the coaching snd assistants didn’t believe it would sit well with the group so Wright relented but he made it very clear the list would be making changes come end of 2024 if we didn’t then we wouldn’t be competing for flags
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15   

Jump to: