Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our veteran quandary

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:05 pm
Post subject: Our veteran quandaryReply with quote

I guess we all hope these guys can keep doing a Benjamin Button but father time catches up with them all. As they all come out of contract at season's end, the search both internal and external is surely on to identify talent that can fill some of their impending abilities on departure. Pendles is generational but hopefully Nick Daicos can go some way to filling the gap as the years go on.

But there are some talented free agents available for 2024 that Graham Wright should consider:

* Tom Doedee: overlooked for the captaincy, this Geelong/Victorian junior has deferred all contract discussions with the Crows. Plays taller than his 187cm and would be a great replacement for Howe. No trade required!
* Darcy Parish: rumoured to be of some interest to both the Pies and Hawks during October 2022 trade season, he is a top player entering his prime years. More accumulator than lethal by foot, he still holds appeal.
* Ben McKay: Personally my number one wish-list target and we only have to remember the game last year where he killed the Pies and Mihocek with his intercept marking and elite closing speed. Get him!
* Harry Himmelberg: ultra adaptable KPP who would be another handy acquisition via free-agency. The salary cap squeeze at GWS may mean another player tips out.
* Jade Gresham: fleet of foot clever mid/forward has been crueled by injuries and is the type of player that shall either embrace Ross Lyon or be repelled. Luke Ball Part 2? Smile

Others worth considering:
* Bailey Williams
* Dylan Moore
* Mason Redman
* Riley Bonner

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall when Pendles “negotiated” his 2 year contract extension there was some criticism - doubt anyone thinks that now, looks like he could go around again next year barring injury. Same for Steele.
But good to look at some options

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:03 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
^

Their durability has been exceptional.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:25 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
I seem to recall when Pendles “negotiated” his 2 year contract extension there was some criticism - doubt anyone thinks that now, looks like he could go around again next year barring injury. Same for Steele

But good to look at some options

Yeah I remember that! I wanted him to play for 2 more years but I might have been conservative. He could play at least 3 more years.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:41 am

Both Sidey and Pendles have never relied on pace and both have such high footy IQ that this compensates
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:25 am

I agree that the planning for the finish of the great careers of Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe should include only looking for those available free agents that are guaranteed game changers i.e. Elite players who are legitimate A graders. We don't need to waste recruitment of any players who are at best depth players or recruiting players who only play in positions where we already have good depth.
When considering the potential replacements for club legends such as Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Howe I like to consider young players already on our list that could grow over the next couple of years to fill these large shoes.
e.g. Pendlebury = Josh Daicos.
Sidebottom = Edward Allen or Finlay MacRae.
Howe = Nathan Murphy
The trouble with the retirement of such legends is that it is almost impossible to replace their skill, experience and leadership immediately so the grooming of their replacements is crucial to the sustainability of the team as a contender.
The freeing up of salary cap is probably not that great either since I think these legends have already taken a reduced payment in their twilight years to help the club stay competitive and extend the length of their final contracts. However obviously they would have been paid above the average salary so there will be some opportunity to have some salary cap space available to snare a quality free agent to help cover their departure with the injection of skill and leadership.
In the meantime, now is the time for Collingwood to strike for premiership glory whilst these legends are still at their elite best.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:45 am

Boot wrote:
In the meantime, now is the time for Collingwood to strike for premiership glory whilst these legends are still at their elite best.

Yup. Wish it was a walk in the park to achieve premiership glory 🥺 Gonna take a lot of very hard work and about 25 silo fulls of good luck 🍀

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:48 pm

I think there retirements will be staggered as well as getting Mitchell eases the gulf some what
Pendles looks likely to go around in 2024 as support for new skipper. He’s still so smart on the field hard to see him falling off so much this year he couldn’t still be a best 22 player
Howe still commands a place but a close eye will be kept on him for injuries (calf issues etc) it’s a long season so jury is out on him at this stage
Sidey most likely to go end of 2023. He got a 1 year deal and has publicly commented already he’s happy to hand over his place if a younger player is demanding selection
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:51 am

We already have everything covered:
Nick Daicos is the heir apparent to Pendles in the midfield.
Murphy to take over from Howe in defence.
Josh Daicos to fill Sidey's 'everywhere man' role.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:41 pm

Hopefully we can snare a top end Free Agent who can influence matches
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:32 pm

Yeah, Pendles one more season after this one, and finish in a blaze of glory with another premiership medal.,we hope. Steel and Howe will both retire at end of this season, id say, and what marvellous servants to the Club they have been, have given their all, week after week. A couple of others may call it a day too, the team will change a fair bit, but we do have the recruits to replace them.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:45 pm

Think Steele can go another year
Howe is looking iffy
Pendles looks capable of another year

However you dont want them going at the same time or at the same time as the next group
Remember Elliot is getting to the end and his body has let him down before
Addams style of play is high impact

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:37 pm

neil wrote:
However you dont want them going at the same time or at the same time as the next group
Remember Elliot is getting to the end and his body has let him down before
Addams style of play is high impact

Yeah, I’m old enough to remember Lillee, Marsh and Greg Chappell all leaving simultaneously. We struggled for a while after those departures.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:00 am

I think if Macrae & Reef can be pushing to be in Collingwood’s best 23 by seasons end then the transition will be a lot smoother.
Maybe even Ed Allen fingers crossed.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:10 pm

Life after Howe has a probable date
He just signed a one year extension—takes him to end 2024

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15   

Jump to: