Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Swans thump Pies. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney won the tackle count by +21 – the worst tackle differential for a Collingwood side under coach Craig McRae.
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:09 pm

Four-time premiership Hawk Jordan Lewis told Fox Footy post-game. “There were countless times when you watched the play unfold and there were players not communicating, players jogging, players that weren’t willing to buy-in defensively.”

Lewis pointed to a passage of play from the fourth quarter where the Swans moved the ball out of half-back and through the middle of the ground with alarming ease. Six Collingwood players were highlighted on the Fox Footy LAB vision jogging through the centre square, with Brayden Maynard and Jordan De Goey even seen completing a casual high-five – a mid-play act that was “hard to believe”, according to Lewis.

“This is where you want Collingwood to be better. It is far too easy (for Sydney) to cut through the middle of the ground. They are ball-watching, there is no communication – there’s even players giving high-fives,” Lewis said.

“That is lazy, that is not being involved in the game, that is not helping your defence.

“They were waiting for the end of the game. I don’t think you say this too often about Collingwood because they’ve been unbelievable about their effort, but they turned up their toes tonight.

“That is hard to cop as a player. When you sit back and see that in the review on a Monday, that is hard to cop.”

Five-time All-Australian Garry Lyon called the high-five “bizarre”, adding he saw an array of Magpies players “going through the motions” throughout the game.

“There was the first outing (against the Giants) as the premier – and that’s what happens, the pressure comes on them and the expectation and they got it handed to them by the Giants – and now they come out here and they really got it handed to them,” Lyon told Fox Footy post-match.

“All through the week, (it was) ‘no one panic’ – and understandably, it’s one game … Now it’s come out and it’s got worse. I think it’s a worse defeat than last week.

“Early on (in the game) there was want and desire – and then it got a little bit too hard.

“Sydney deserve all the credit, because they made Collingwood look ordinary.”

Triple premiership Lion Jonathan Brown put the heat on some of Collingwood’s more experienced players.

“You’ve got to start with the veterans. Some of the veterans are struggling: (Scott) Pendlebury, (Steele) Sidebottom, (Darcy) Moore, (Jack) Crisp – they’ve been ordinary the first fortnight,” Brown told Fox Footy.

“They’re the ones you rely on when you come into a premiership defence, you need those guys to be able to set the standard all the way through – and at the moment, they aren’t able to set the standard for four quarters of a game.”

Seven-time All-Australian Nathan Buckley said the Pies had been “out-transitioned” in two straight matches.

“That’s where the game is. It’s not a static game. They’re in great positions at the start but then the game moves,” he told Fox Footy.

“Sydney, when they team defended tonight, Collingwood weren’t able to work the ball through them because they work so hard as unit and they ran hard to close down space.”

Credit - Fox Sports
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/collingwood-magpies/afl-news-2024-brayden-maynard-and-jordan-de-goey-high-five-video-jordan-lewis-calls-out-lazy-collingwood-magpies/news-story/32aafc72d7a99c68ab790abd19b00372
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm

AJ out thats two games as a substandard forward
Do we have a KPF that is ready to come in?
Sidey started slow last year so am willing to wait a while
Pendles should not be expected to carry the midfield
Markov is in poor form WHE didnt exist Crisp is not having the impact he has always had
Poor first game back from Howe

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:46 pm

Boot wrote:
I think we looked like an old side tonight, which shouldn't be too much of a surprise because statistically we are the oldest team in the competition.
Sidebottom at 34 had a shocker of a first half and was only marginally better in the 2nd Half.
Pendlebury at 36 looks slow and seems to have lost his disposal ability.
Jack Crisp 32 seems to have lost his mojo and isn't half the player he was last season. Maybe he isn't suited to playing the CHB position?
Howe 34 seemed short of a run, hopefully he will get better with that game under his belt.

Darcy Moore also looks to have lost his nojo with continuing to be too loose in defense leading to easy opposition goals.

I thought Maynard was brillent tonight with some typical strong attacking football and glorious foot passing. Other positives from tonight were Finn Macrae's brief time on ground showing that he is ready to be a regular serior player. Tom Mitchell is behind Finn Macrae in the pecking order I think based on Finn's form tonight. Darcy Cameron played well to be the best ruckman on the ground.

I think Fly McRae needs to make a statement and drop Jack Crisp for Ben Allan to get a game next week. Bring back John Noble who adds desparation to the team and has good disposal skills as a replacement for Markov (not Oleg's fault that an umpire had a brain fart and paid a free against him in the 2nd Quarter instead of giving him a deserved 50 meter penalty but Markov's not great for one vs one contests and his disposal is average at best) Reef Mcinnes in the team as a replacement for Ash Johnson, who needs to really dominate a couple of games in the VFL before being considered again. Ed Allan needs to be brought into the team to replace Sidebottom next week.

Collingwood can still recover this season to be a serious contender but they need to respond to the challenge of Saints at the G next Thursday.

Best you back your arguments with facts. Crisp just turned 30 and it's Ed Allan not dad Ben

boom 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:47 pm

I'm hoping part of the explanation for the slow start is to try to peak later in the year in terms of fitness etc. Last season we were amazing out of the gates and then tapered off though still got it done thankfully. I'm not ready to buy into the narrative that the old players have irreversibly dropped off, our oldest player was the best player in the last quarter of last season. I'm more concerned that the team on the whole (including the young blokes) doesn't seem to be running both ways or applying the pressure that we have come to expect
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:50 pm

never thought we should have unfirled the flag last night shoud have left it to next week v saints.
was really premature round 1.
not many premiership- teams do it that early they normally wait till round 3 or 4.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:53 pm

^^^ You can't get a perfect Aiden Begg when he is still developing.
He's been in the system a while, so if he can provide us a with forward focus, now is the time to try him...

I can see our team changing with 5-6 new players this year. Do not hesitate Collingwood, make the changes now and in the next few games (such as Fin Macrae in the side).

Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:56 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
As Jezza said there’s more questions than answers right now
There is recent history of premiership winners coming out them next season and really never getting started the following year
For mine the thing that really stands out is our lack of desperation
We aren’t sticking tackles, opposition players are running past our players to get lose balls or to get to contests, our kicking is horrendous at all parts of the ground.
I love stats because stats generally don’t lie
Here’s the damning stat from last night
We had 18 turn overs in our or exiting our defensive 50 a total of 13-5 (77 points)
Main Culprits
Moore 4
Markov 3
Sidey 3
Crisp 2

For those thinking things will be ok when Murphy comes back think again.
He isn’t the answer to all our defensive issues
Defence starts up the field which in our case is non existent and barely recognisable from what it was last year which masked some of our aggressive push up field style
Also Murphy is one accidental knock at training or a game from being done for good. (🤞🤞🤞it doesn’t happen)

This is the biggest challenge of Fly’s coaching tenure
He needs to have a few conversations and make a statement or 2 here’s how it should go
Conversations

Firstly Charlie Dean mate it’s easy to see you’ve missed so much football the past couple years your a couple steps behind the pace. Go back to the VFL find some form and then we can bring you back buddy.

Darcy Moore your our captain and need to adjust your style. You can’t consistently sag off your man so much, you’re getting burned. Time to play hard man on man.

Josh your our reigning best and fairest and so far you’ve had your colours lowered. You need to bring that work ethic from last year back mate. I’m backing you to show me the leadership in your own game to get back to your best.

Crispy mate you’re making some really poor decisions. You can’t break every tackle sometimes you’ve got to trust your team mate is in a better position. Your going back into the middle of the ground and I want to see you tackle everything in an opposition jumper that moves.

To the entire group.
Ok last year is done and dusted. If your satisfied with what we achieve and think that’s enough then tell me know and I’ll find some young hungry players who want to taste success.

Statements
Ash you done. You’re in the VFL until further notice. Your effort is second rate and you’re showing me nothing to warrant a spot in this 22.

Sidey mate the game has passed you by. Last night your 1st 7 touched resulted in 2 free kick 3 turnovers and not a single effective possession
Your not sticking your tackles and not going hard at consents. Your standing outside waiting for a team mate to do the hard work and give you the ball for a soft stat.
You’re taking short cuts heading defensive side of the play so your opponent doesn’t run past you. Your opponent is then going to the contest making the extra man and we are getting beaten at the contest.
You’ve had a good run maybe take a few weeks off we will tell them you’ve got groin or calf issues. Pick a game for a fair well game or if you don’t want to retire go back to the VFL for a couple months and show me you deserve a place in this team because right now your a liability to this team
Last night your incompetence cost us directly from your turnovers or free kicks 4 goals 3 and that’s unacceptable from someone of your experience

After watching it live, you are spot on and it’s a bit sad that you are, in the sense that it is not rocket science. I will add one thing more, the Swans time and time again were able to “predict” our next play/handball/kick and cut it off very easily. This was frustrating to watch and hence my criticism of Leppa for not varying or changing the strategic aspects of our game. Through exposure or docs like “the next step”, we have become extremely predictable. Predictability makes it easy to defend against us, ie. causes many turnovers.
Believe me, we are vulnerable against the Saints this week unless we turn it around immediately and start playing determined football again and focusing on the aspects that weren’t there or seen last night. It was awful to watch 😫
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:11 pm

BenBronx wrote:
Sydney won the tackle count by +21 – the worst tackle differential for a Collingwood side under coach Craig McRae.

If this is not a danger sign, I don’t know what is. People are saying don’t panic but if panicking causes the club to drop ineffective players and replace them with players who have a far better commitment to winning, and contribute to a Collingwood win, then panic by all means. We need to start winning.

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:17 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
shawthing wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

Dean in the pre-season and in two tough senior games looks to have real game. I'd really like to see what he's capable of with another 30 games under his belt. I reckon there's a player there.

I'll back you there Laurie. I'm not sure why Dean is coping so much brunt of criticism after only two tough games. I thought Howe and Q and even Moore were even worse tonight. And don't get me started on why Markov played and Noble didn't. The Markov experiment is quickly coming to an end I think.

Dean is a bloody good kick I noticed last night, that will help

I think that Dean has had very poor support from his fellow defenders over the first two games.
He has been left exposed in 1-on-1’s without a 3 man attacking the contest in support. Moore has been very poor so far and as the leader hasn’t made it a priority to help out more.

I’m still waiting for an explanation from someone as to why and how McCrae hasn’t been able to get into the starting 22. FMD, he did more in 35min of game time than at least 7 others did for the entirety of the game.

For us to improve on 2023, it is imperative that at least 2 young players take the next step and become influential players.
McCrae looks ready to take this step but we need at least on of Reef, Ash, Allan etc to grab the opportunity that is available.

Special mention to Nick Daicos….don’t worry about the stats. His guy running and never give up attitude was fantastic to watch last night in what otherwise was a dirty night for the team.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:20 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Flag hangover + heavy/short preseason training load + opposition hungrier to beat us. I tipped us being 0-2 and here we are. It’s a long season, anything can happen.

In:Frampton, McInnes, McCrae.
Out: Johnson, ?, ?

Anything can happen, exactly. However it will not be the positive outcome we hope for unless some players have an “interest and attitude” transplant and start playing committed football again.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:49 pm

neil wrote:

Do we have a KPF that is ready to come in?

We don't have a single KPF at the club. Period.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:46 am

I think we can turn it around.

Fly’s last two press conferences have been pretty good at identifying the problems.

However, looking ahead we could easily be 1 - 4 or 0 - 5 after the first 5 rounds. So we have to win next week against St Kilda. Lose that and we are going into the Grand Final rematch in Brisbane looking at a hiding.

It has been an incredibly frustrating last two weeks considering our last two years but we can do it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:00 am

Watched the Saints last night and we will need to turn it around or we will be 0-3. It’s March so no panic stations yet.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:26 am

I reckon we have got the best out of some good ordinary players over past couple years because of the system, now that our system is under pressure and being exploited by all the other teams we are exposed individually.

Cameron, Cox are not frontline rucks they are better than decent.

We are the oldest list which must have an impact against younger stronger opponents our veterans are Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Howe, Cox not known for their strength or physicality 3 are skilled and were elite now better than good.

This group of Elliott, Miocheck, Cameron, Hoskin Elliott, better than honest.

McCreery, Noble, Markov, Mitchel, and Lipinski previously were a crucial part of the high levels of pressure. Still, none of these are stars or highly influenced a game, but as a collective playing their role, very effectively.

We have won so many games by a few points and because we were able to manage the game, the opposition have gone to work and without an upgraded gameplan individual good players are being exposed against teams that have better individual personal...but additionally have picked apart our gameplan.

So lets see if we can recapture our frantic aggressive ball movement or an upgraded version of 2023.

No injuries from Swans game...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: