Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How many A Graders do we have in 2024?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 pm
Post subject: How many A Graders do we have in 2024?Reply with quote

How many A Graders do we have in 2024?
Every year the reigning premiers are anointed with x amount of A graders by various media outlets.
I certainly believe that to win a flag you need a certain amount of players to step up, beyond those that are your regular best players and A graders, and have career best seasons.

So I have two categories for our 2023 A graders, those that are regularly performing in the elite category and were A graders at the start of 2023, and, those that need to carry their A grade form from 2023 into 2024, and beyond, to be considered elite.

Regular A graders:
Pendles, has been an A grader almost his entire career,
Sidebottom, can take a bit more time to warm into games, and for that matter the season these days, but has the ability to seriously impact games.
Crisp, consistent and damaging no matter where he plays.
Howe, some may not agree but his reading of the game and intercept ability
makes him elite, and
Moore, as with Howe and is a booming kick, an elite defender in the competition for a few years now.

New to the level:
DeGoey, always on the the cusp of being elite, now potentially our most important player, 2023 was a breakout particularly as he was consistent.
Quaynor, one on one beast, interceptor, speed, power and creative.
Maynard, see IQ but also heart and soul throws himself into the fray time and time again, he lifts this team.
J. Daicos, is probably right on the cusp of this, needs to stay in games a bit more, but has talent to burn, he influences games enough though to be in this class.
Hill, standout 2023 and had a blinder finals series, he lifts our forward line into a dangerous category that we haven't had for a long time.
N. Daicos, I couldn't put him in the first category because this will only be his 3rd season, but when you've been a Brownlow fancy in your first two seasons, and you have other clubs wanting to change the father son rule because we were able to draft him, well, he's all class and an elite talent

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If you consider an A grader should be in the top few in the league for their position, I'd say our current A graders are :
Moore
Jordy
Nick Daicos
IQ.

Pendles and Sidey have diminished in their output with age but are still solid B+ as would be Crisp and Bruzzy. Howe is probably down to a B but still a valuable part of the team. Jaicos and Hill are around B to B+

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:32 am

Who were our A-graders in 2023?
IQ
Nick D
Darcy
JDG
Pendles
Steele
Jem Howe
Pendles and Steele were astonishing in 2023. Pendles was A grade because of his ability to consistently make his presence felt in so many ways, and to dominate at crucial times in a game when victory or defeat was on the line. He dragged us over the line so many times.
Steele was the ultimate link in the chain on so many occasions, but not just any link, a sublime link which created the next fantastic link, or repelled the opposition's forward thrust with brilliance. His finals series was electric.
Jeremy is stellar in his anticipation and marking ability.

Who was on the cusp?
Josh D (thought he wasnt quite A grade due to his relatively quiet finals)
Jack C (just about A grade status, just a couple of performances lacking impact)
Bruzza ( similar to Jack C)

Who can we expect to fall from A grade status in 2024?
Pendles
Steele
Jem Howe
(the aging process takes its toll)

Who can replace them?

Jack C
Bruzza
Josh D
...all definitely.
Potentially:
Lachie Schulz
(kicked 30 odd goals in a flailing Fremantle. What will be possible for him when surrounded by armada of highly talented players?)

Conclusion: We will have with reasonable probabilty 7 or 8 A graders in 2024, and at least 6 with very high probability.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:10 am

Like the battery Nick Daicos is AAA (Grade)
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:07 pm

Our A graders for me are:
Pendlebury
N. Daicos
Jordy
Moore
Crisp
Sidey
Howe

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:46 pm

Agree with everyone really.. its subjective to a degree.

Pendles arguably no longer the player he was, yet in in the last qrt of the GF 11 possies, 1 goal, 3 tackles. That's A grader
Hill wasn't an A Grader yet became one in the GF. Norm Smith, his play is clearly electrifying, a clear standout, maybe puts his toe in.
Steel 'Everywhere' Sidey, was just so good in the GF.. the sweeper and the goal kicker. That's still A grader
Jeremy Howe 2nd in the GF for metres gained 591 !!!!! That necessarily doesn't make you an A grader, but along with 24 disposals and 9 marks, shows he still is.
Nick goes without saying, he is an A graders A grader lol
Jordy is an A Grader
Crisp is an A Grader
Arguably Josh and IQ too, but imo they are close. Just like a multitude of equally talented AFL opposition players.. but A graders not yet.. even Hill , but I just see the oozing terror about to unfold in him.

I guess we could classify some of the above A graders as A-, A--, A+, A++ that would be fitting.
We are blessed.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:41 pm

I’d like to mention not A graders mentioned but another thing that may lead to some
A quinella that landed with us this year —they are Shultz,Sullivan and DeMattia
Feel at least two of these will be A graders

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:10 pm

BazBoy wrote:
^

No way DM can be an A-grader...he has a finger injury ruling him out for the next 12 weeks, apart from anything else.
I agree totally with you re Schulz
As for Sullivan...think that considering him a potential A-grader this year is a little far fetched, in his first season of AFL....but yeah he has been stellar in the VFL, and given the opportunity in a star studded team, many things are possible.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:07 pm

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
^

You forgot to mention Moore. Absolute A grader down to his bootstraps.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:45 am

Watching Bobby Hill he’s going to another level with his confidence. As a small forward he could be an A grader this year.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:18 am

lazzadesilva wrote:
Charlie Oneeye wrote:

You forgot to mention Moore. Absolute A grader down to his boot straps.

Oops, A little 203cm oversight, lol
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:36 am

BazBoy wrote:
I’d like to mention not A graders mentioned but another thing that may lead to some
A quinella that landed with us this year —they are Shultz, Sullivan and DeMattia
Feel at least two of these will be A graders

I like the optimism, but surely the A grader definition is being stretched here.
2 of those have never played an AFL game.
DeMattia was pick Draft pick 25. In 38 drafts pick #25 has played an average 66 games.
Sullivan has been eligible for 8 national drafts and a few mid-season versions in-between.
Schultz was drafted by Fremantle at pick #57. In 37 drafts pick #25 has played an average 31 games. Schultz might have played some A grade games, as evident as a 2x Glendinning–Allan Medalist, but his body of work to date he's far from A grade. I suspect most supporters have been lucky to see his games post those when we played Freo.
One thing I would be confident of though, get on him to add an ANZAC day medal to his football accolades.

What is an A grader?
While the classification is somewhat subjective, at a minimum, accolades of All Australian, AFLPA MVP, Club B&F might be considered as a telling factor to be elevated into this category. In achieving these accolades, they need to have established elite benchmarks in attitude, training, physical attributes and skill.
Then consider how they go when opposed to another in the same position or their equivalent opponent.
I always saw an A grader as the type of player that possesses those accolades / attributes and in turn has regularly swung a match off their own boot.
Many have had A grade games, a few A grade seasons, but in context of A grade careers it really starts to get thin.

Going into 2024, those that I view as truly fit A grade are ~
Pendlebury - to do what he did in the GF was evidence enough he is still elite in every aspect.
Moore - while CHF has been historically viewed as the most important position on the field, CHB then has to be second.
Naicos - looms as a generational talent given his exploits to date.
JDG - his 2022 and 2023 seasons have edged him into this category. He's matured from a precocious to prodigious talent.

Sidey played a good chunk of his career as an A grader, and t other player that I expected to move into this category was Elliott, alas the injures he's sustained have kept him from being elevated into that elite category.
Crisp is the other that just falls short of this category but has remained one of our most reliable players. Mihocek, Jaicos, Maynard, Howe and IQ I see in a similar vein.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:45 am

What's an A Grader? It's hard to define but I imagine it's an elite player who plays consistently at the top level and whom opposition teams must plan for.
In that regard we have 3: Nick Daicos who is one of the best players in the AFL, if not the best, Jordan De Goey who has an outstanding finals record, and Darcy Moore who is a brilliant intercepting running defender.

What about Pendles you say? He's been an A Grader for most of his career but generally I think he's slipped slightly below that. Of course, I was enraptured by his Grand Final, particularly the last quarter. I put Sidey in the same category. Maynard, Quaynor, Crisp, Josh Daicos, Miocek - wonderful players but in my opinion, not quite A Graders. Gee we've got a great team though.

I'll tell you who is a A Grader. Craig McRae. We are so lucky to have him. Credit to Graham Wright and whoever else was responsible for choosing him.
Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:57 pm

I think there is a lot of exploits that define a player as "A-Grade" but playing well in winning Finals and Grand Finals is a high factor for me. Using that as a basis I think there are a few Collingwood players I would rate as A-Graders coming into season 2024 including;
1. Darcy Moore - Talent alone as a key defender makes him an A-Grader. The worry I have is that he doesn't play the shutdown role very well but in a team as well coach as Collingwood and with Murphy and Howe available to back him up I think Moore offers that class that makes him A-Grade quality. I still think it would be ideal for Collingwood to be able to use Moore at CHB to help generate more attacks from the defensive half as opposed to playing him at Fullback where his and the clubs defensive structure always gives the opposition full forward too much opportunity to get amongst the goals. I'm still hopeful that one of Billy Frampton or Charlie Dean can step up to be that defensive "gorilla" to free Darcy Moore to play further up the ground.
2. Scott Pendlebury - Getting older, but based on the 2023 Grand Final has still got it.
3. Jordan DeGoey - Terrific consistency over the past two years especially in Finals. Actually DeGoey has been pretty good at turning up for final series all his career.
4. Nick Daicos - Generational Talent.
5. Bobby Hill - Seems to have evolved into an elite small forward with super pace and goal sense overnight. He was very good all 2023 but had a super finals series.
6.Jack Crisp - Has been a force that rivals DeGoey in impact for the past couple of years. I think he has evolved as an "A-Grader" from being a very good consistent B-Grader due to his developed ability to hit the scoreboard and when added to his versatility makes his input an elite and a very important part of this Collingwood team.

Others who have reasonable claim as A-Graders, but may be debatable at the moment, include; Jeremy Howe, Steele Sidebottom, Jamie Elliot, Brayden Maynard, Brody Mihocek and Isaac Quaynor. Even Tom Mitchell could be argued as being "A-Grade" at what he does from a contested ball gathering role.

I'm also very hopeful that Beau McCreery, Josh Daicos and Lachie Shultz will be able to continue their development to be considered as A-Graders in 2024 and if they do then the future for Collingwood looks very bright.

Then we have the youth of Fin Macrae, Reef McInnes and Ed Allan who all look very capable of being very good AFL players about to establish themselves in the AFL over the next couple of years. Here's Hoping!!

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:06 pm

top '50' lists coming out.
Robbo in the sun has Naicos (3), Degoey (7), Moore (22), Jaicos (4Cool, Maynard (50)

ESPN has only the first three in it.

Robbo gives Jaicos a bit of a backhander. He puts Josh Kelly at number 22, and states that Jaicos was all Australian wingman, but if you put both Josh's against a wall, which one would you pick?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: