Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The four pillars of the Magpies’ new midfield.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:31 am
Post subject: The four pillars of the Magpies’ new midfield.Reply with quote

"Collingwood’s new coaching panel is pushing to build a new midfield around four designated types of player that will be on constant rotation.
New coach Craig Macrae and midfield coach Brendon Bolton are determined to build depth in a blended midfield focused on getting a balance.
Under the new system, either Jordan De Goey or Jamie Elliott will be at every centre bounce with the other forward. Scott Pendlebury will be half-time at half-back, Brayden Maynard will start to play on-ball and Steele Sidebottom and Josh Daicos will be permanent wings."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-nice-dynamic-the-four-pillars-of-the-magpies-new-midfield-20220220-p59y0g.html
#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear Josh Daicos will be a permanent wing. He wasn't as good last year when they tried him in other positions.
I like the idea of JDG and Elliott rotating with each other, so at least one of them is always in the forward line. Hearing Elliot has also built up his tank is good news.
Our run and spread from the middle last year wasn't great, so hopefully our efforts to address that work.
What is the origin of the nickname Bruz?
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:01 am

Sidebottom was quite useless last year.
Seems to have lost his tank.
Look forward to seeing him wind the clock back somewhat.
Thought his best position now would be a forward pocket.
But hey, I will wait and see if I am wrong.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:16 am

I really like Elliot in the midfield. Him and JDG rotating thru, with the other forward is a very good move.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:43 am

Nice bit of planning and common sense when you think about it to try to have players with different attributes at stoppages rather all inside or all outside.
They could also mix it up if the game situation requires it by putting all clearance bulls or all explosive players in.
I like the reports on Reef. Tall, big bodied and explosive is a scary mix.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:55 am

Thanks for the article.

It’s a great read and the story really focuses on our adoption of the modern day successful starting midfield. Not more than one extractor, at least one creator and / or at least one “ impactor “. Dees with Viney, Oliver, Petracca and Dogs with Libba, Bont and Macrae are the benchmarks.
Going forward, McInnes / Lipinski / MacRae are best suited as our next extractors / creators and N Daicos as the impact player.

Also Interesting to read that’s now three important players who have publicly declared they have lost weight in preparation for 2022. Grundy, Sidey and Pendles hopefully will all get to more contests, add some speed and maybe even add an extra season by carrying around less weight for the next 6 months.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:08 am

Pendles also signed up for that speed training over summer in anticipation of playing half back.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:11 am

I do like it. It is an indication of where we are.
We are not exposed if a regular clearance player goes down, and we expand our options and style by developing more players through there.
Our best mix needs to be identified. One day, it will be this group we will rely upon playing the best teams in Finals.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:50 am

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
^

It’s also an indication that an over reliance on Adams isn’t going to help us improve either. While he remains an inspirational player, he’s injury prone and his ball use is “ open for interpretation “. The sooner we discover successful clearance options that don’t have a need to include Adams, the better we will be. By extension, that means we will have improved.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:05 am

Pies2016 wrote:
^

Bang on. Might Adams moved into a tagging role through the year in order to replace the void Greenwood left in that role? I for one wouldn't like Adams tagging me.
He's potentially more useful to us in that role as his mid-field match impact over recent seasons has been sporadic / impacted by injury, and we'll be looking for more moving into 2023 and beyond.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:36 am

Is it being over optimistic or unrealistic to think that Collingwood could make the finals this season? Am I overrating our players as we all tend to do sometimes? Reading threads like this on our players makes me excited about Collingwood having an awesome year. However I guess I’m ignoring the effects of the usual injuries and bad luck with losing close games 🙄 I can’t help looking forward to the season with a positive outlook, even if I’m being a bit silly and ignorant of the strengths of the other opposition clubs.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:47 am

Lazza wrote:
Is it being over optimistic or unrealistic to think that Collingwood could make the finals this season? Am I overrating our players as we all tend to do sometimes? Reading threads like this on our players makes me excited about Collingwood having an awesome year. However I guess I’m ignoring the effects of the usual injuries and bad luck with losing close games 🙄 I can’t help looking forward to the season with a positive outlook, even if I’m being a bit silly and ignorant of the strengths of the other opposition clubs.

It all comes down to whether we have a dream run with injuries or not.
Our best 22 is good enough for finals however we have a very long list of young players with not even 20 games. As soon as we get hit hard, our depth will show. Young players take time to have a strength and confidence to take on games. Quaynor is a classic example. He is a high end pick blessed with talent but just needs time and it seems inevitable he will become a damaging player for us at some stage soon...

#26 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:47 am

In yesterday's paper Mick McGuane said he ranked our midfield 11th in the comp. Today he has ranked our forward line 17th.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:54 am

Lazza wrote:

Lazza, there’s no doubt the club is making positive changes for the future but it’s best not to put timelines on development. What the club is doing isn’t cutting edge but it is being actioned at a time when the players required to execute the plan are at least now on our list. We still have some gaps to fill but we now have less than before. We still need our young players to get 50 games into them but at least they will be given that opportunity.
The new buzz phrase in footy is “ managing the message “
Everyone has the heard the message but executing the message correctly is the key to improving quickly. We will know a lot more about our progression by the end of the season.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:23 pm

Talking of strong bodies where do you see Beau McCreery this yr—he’s every bit as strong as Elliott and not far off strong as JDG

When Elliott or JDG come out off mid will he be forward pocket as back up strong man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: